Sign in to follow this  
sodbuster

310 8 tranny swap

sodbuster

I have a 310 8 I am wanting to use the 8 speed trans for my round hood.what does it take to swap them out.I want to pull a single bottom plow with the round hood.

rickv1957

My friend made this swap to a 753 recently and worked great,maybe he will chime in with some pictures,Rick

pfrederi

I put an 8 speed in my 753. The sickle bar works much better with the slower ground speed. I got the tranny at the Arendtsville show so I do not know what it came out of.

Biggest issue was the input pulley. The 8 speed tractors all had engines with the modern large drive pulleys and PTOs. I couldn't change that as the sickle bar uses the old small engine triple pulley.

The input pulley on the 8 speed wouldn't work with the belt guard and the speed would have been off. The input pulley on the 753 had a 3/4 inch bore the 8 speed input shaft is 5/8 shaft. Finally found an online place that had cast iron pulleys same diameter and width as the original 753 input pulley but with 5/8 bore. (I will have to look to find the link if you are interested.)

Had to cut a U shaped notch in the hood stand so the hi/low stub shaft could slide in. A hole would have been neater but then you would have to raise the tranny straight up and try to align the frame mounting holes. Using studs like the manual suggests and rolling it in from the rear is much easier.

Also had to swap out some brake parts as the mechanism is different between the old 4 speed and the newer 8s.

We had 20 inches of snow over th last 2 days. If I remember I will try to get a picture or two.