Sign in to follow this  
kajamo240

Looking for a new ride

kajamo240

I have been searching for the right deal to get another Horse to add to the herd. I really like the Wheel Horse brand but good ones are just so hard to find around my neck of the woods.

Does any one have any other suggestions of other older brands that are a little more native to the midwest? Something that parts and attachments are a little easier to obtain without compromising the functionality of the Wheel Horse? Any and all input in appreciated!

Don't get me wrong, I love my :party: and wouldn't trade it for the world, but I am just looking to maybe branch out a bit on Garden Tractor's to something that is a little bit more available to me.

:hbd:

Thanks guys!

Please be kind to me in this post... :clap:

B)

mavfreak

i'll probly get kicked out of redsquare for this but, i'm going to say it. my dad has a john deere 316. and it is a really good tractor. Alot of guys i work with are jd fans. so tht may be one brand to turn to. I am not a fan of jd but wouldn't think twice if a deal came up on an older one. I"ve always been a red fan but farmall or IH. John deere around me is like butt holes everyone has one. Even on our farm which is all red but one jd. B)

Roger from southern Iowa

I may have some options for you. JD, Cub Cadet, Allis Chalmers.

CasualObserver

Matt, in your (our) area, if you want to branch out, my suggestion would be to check into the IH built Cubs or the John Deeres. Being mid-western based, those are probably the easiest brands to see/find. There are many good manufacturers from the late 60s/early 70s era that produced substantial old garden tractors, built to handle the test of time, but Minnesota may not have been a strong market, so parts and technical advice may not be as readily available. As you are figuring out, Wheel Horse didn't have a strong focus on this area as a market. There were some dealers around here pre-Toro, and vintage Wheel Horses are out there, but not necessarily as easy to find as they are in say Indiana, Ohio or Pennsylvania.

Up here you'll run across the occasional Simplicity, Simplicity built Allis, Bolens or Massey, but again, those fall into the category of this not being a strong original market and not having local support. A point in the columns of JD and IH built Cubs is that they are plentiful in the region, and have a pretty large fan base around to get help and parts from. I personally own one of each, both 1965s, and have had others flow through occasionally. A drawback to them to me is that for the most part they are the most mainstream brands to collect. Sometimes unfortunately that means that tractors, attachments and even parts can bring real top dollar. Sometimes though, it is an advantage, because these were very popular sales units and tons of parts are still available. Because of the popularity Deere still manufactures and even stocks many parts for their lawn and garden line going back to first 110 in 1963. Not so much with the cubs since IH separated the lines long ago and MTD currently owns it. There are many, many suppliers of cub parts in the secondary market though, both new and used parts.

Bottom line I suppose, is to find something you like and check it out. B)

T-Mo

I can concur - JD, Cub Cadet, Simplicity, Case - all good brands and solid tractors (as long as you get the older ones). The JD 318 is considered by a lot of people as the best garden tractor ever made, and the JD 400, 420 and 430 are beasts. The older Cubs are solid as can be and attachments are readily available. I not too familiar with the old Simplicities nor the Cases, but they have their own following (I would love to have an older Case with the 16 inch rear wheels).

rydogg

I have a couple I would sell to free up some room. 1st is a 1967 John Deere 110 the tractor has a 8hp kohler and a 36" deck it runs good, could use some tires they leak and are weather checked, the deck has been welded I have never had it on the tractor but I believe I have all parts to mount it, I would like to get $350 for it, the picture is my 1965 110 but the 1967 is identical. I also have an Allis Chalmers B210 this tractor has the cast iron briggs 23d motor which is a 10hp, the motor needs a head or head repair since I stripped out the plug hole but this motor also runs great but the bevel gear box is going out I believe it needs new bearings but I haven't taken it apart to be certain you can find these gear boxes on ebay usually for between $40 and $100 shipped. I am asking $250 for it. I am located in southern Minnesota about 1/2 hour from the Iowa border. Both of these tractors have the variable speed lever so you can change speed without using the clutch.

john110003.jpg

ebaycraigslist027.jpg

craigslisttillers.jpg

Crazywheelhorseman

Matt, after owning most of the previously listed machines i'd say you would want a sears suburban! they had alot of attachments and parts are still available and won't cost you an arm and a leg like cubs or deere's

Roger from southern Iowa

I agree on the Sears GT's. Very tough tractors, as stated lots of attachments and reasonably priced. I have some, but am keeping them. B)

rickv1957

Matt,stick with the best! B):party::clap: Rick

clintonnut

If you still have that Arctic Cat Cheetah in a few months I might have to do a trade with you. I can't get up that far in your neck of the woods. We are usually around Davenport, IA.

Charlie

kajamo240

If you still have that Arctic Cat Cheetah in a few months I might have to do a trade with you. I can't get up that far in your neck of the woods. We are usually around Davenport, IA.

Charlie

Hey Charlie, yeah I still have the two sleds. rydogg is working on a deal and he said if he doesn't want it, I can have it. I would sell those two sleds to get the cash for the new horse but if they are something that you might want and that deal falls through, I can for sure let you know!

Its not really a Cheetah. I don't know why it says Cheetah on the taillight but its really a Puma 400. I am going to try to get it up and running here soon... I think it just needs new fuel lines but I'm not quiet sure... I'll let you know if I do and maybe we could meet halfway, between Davenport IA and North Branch MN, or something. I would just be looking for a B or C series with attach-o-matic.

PM me if your seriously interested in making a trade or something along those lines... Sorry B)

Operator

I know of a 520H going up for sale this spring, it's on blower duty now.

I also know of a Cub [good one] with hyd. lift blower blade and deck in my area.

Randy

6wheeler

Matt, I too love my Horse. But I have to agree with you, I have 2 1/2 deeres here and I wouldn't get rid of them either.(Half meaning, my brothers 214 lives in my shed all summer) John Deeres are somewhat expensive to buy, and parts are high too. But, on the plus side I can still get them locally. I am torn now, because Randy knows of a 520 for sale, and I want a 400 Deere... I know for sure Ma isn't going to say "just get both" B) . Cubs are good too, but harder to find someone whom sells parts.. By the way, the transient 214 is for sale. It is a real good tractor too. And its fairly close. Good Luck Pat

kajamo240

I know of a 520H going up for sale this spring, it's on blower duty now.

I also know of a Cub [good one] with hyd. lift blower blade and deck in my area.

Randy

Haha, Randy I dont think that your 520H is in my price range... But if I had a few more bucks lying around...

rickv1957

Matt,what model are you looking for?,Rick

kajamo240

Matt,what model are you looking for?,Rick

Hey Rick, I'm looking for either a B or C series. 8+hp.

rickv1957

Matt,I could find something for you easily if Im not to far,Rick

kajamo240

Matt,I could find something for you easily if Im not to far,Rick

That sure is nice of you Rick, but you are a little too far out for me. Thank you though! B)