Rideawaysenior

420LSE questions

smoreau

If I ever win the lottery that would be the first thing I would buy!! I have been drooling over the 420LSE's for years and loose out every time I find one. Some day......

Edited by smoreau

WheelHorseSteve

Well... sure enough... she's still there at West End Power Equipment in Danbury, CT. I swung by after work tonight and took a look --

IMG-20121205-00108.jpg

Spoke with the guy there -- apparently they sold the 48" deck a while back but kept the chromed mule drive and gauge wheels. It's under a little more dust than our last visit, and as before -- the owner isn't in any rush to sell it. Like Jeff once said, if I had that kind of money to spend on a Wheel Horse I'd be more likely to spend it on a Senior. We'll have to keep an eye on this one...

marvairplanes

Any way to get the serial number from that tractor?

misonido

I am sure you guys here in the CT/NY area have seen the CL listing (Hudson Valley) of the 420 lse being parted out?!? If not someone please save it...

fireman

It's to late! It's already been half way parted out. Nothing really left to save.

CasualObserver

Marv, pretty sure the tag picture earlier in the thread says 61/200 at the bottom

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

CRE1992

Well... sure enough... she's still there at West End Power Equipment in Danbury, CT. I swung by after work tonight and took a look --

Spoke with the guy there -- apparently they sold the 48" deck a while back but kept the chromed mule drive and gauge wheels. It's under a little more dust than our last visit, and as before -- the owner isn't in any rush to sell it. Like Jeff once said, if I had that kind of money to spend on a Wheel Horse I'd be more likely to spend it on a Senior. We'll have to keep an eye on this one...

I tried to PM you, but it wouldn't let me ! please check your inbox and PM me back!

fireman

Thanks for confirming that it's still there Steve! I was pretty sure that the deal with RickV fell through.

Like you said, i would rather spend that kind of money on a Senior. The 420LSE, even being really cool looking and the fact they only made around 225 of them, is nothing more than blinged out 416. If that's your thing than so be it. I would rather find a clean 300, 400 or 500 series and send the parts out for chrome myself. Would cost a heck of a lot less!

• Like 1

WheelHorseSteve

Thanks for confirming that it's still there Steve! I was pretty sure that the deal with RickV fell through.

Like you said, i would rather spend that kind of money on a Senior. The 420LSE, even being really cool looking and the fact they only made around 225 of them, is nothing more than blinged out 416. If that's your thing than so be it. I would rather find a clean 300, 400 or 500 series and send the parts out for chrome myself. Would cost a heck of a lot less!

No problem Jeff! If they cut the price on this one in half I can see it selling... the exclusivity/history is worth something. Will check in on it from time to time.

On a related note, I was chatting with him about their Wheel Horse business there. The dealership stopped selling the WH products around 1995... when, as he described it, things got really messy. There was a lot of old stock WH inventory there until a few years back when it dawned on him to start selling things on eBay. He said they had these WH knives that they used for grunt jobs (like scraping grass off the inside of decks) and when they would break they'd throw them out and open another. Once on eBay, they were fetching $100+ each... which inspired him to sell off everything WH left... except of course this NOS 420LSE. I would love to go back in time and see the dealership full of WH products. It's now a big John Deere dealership... with Honda and Stihl products as well. Nice stuff!

Ken B

I can remember driving by when I was a little kid they would sometimes have a few out on the front lawn.....back in the 70's.

Duff

Speaking of a two and a half year old thread being revived, has anyone down in the MA/CT area heard or seen anything of our good friend Jack (RideawaySenior) lately?

Duff :thumbs:

stevebo

I remember my dad "big Jim" buying his very first brand new 310-8 from that dealership back around 1987ish. Not sure of the year that 420 was made but it may have been on the showroom floor when dad bought the 310??

wh500special

A long time ago, Cable wrote:

There is probably some reason to doubt the accuracy of the number produced as being 200. I say this because brochure printing was likely done before production ended. I would like to hear from anyone who has one, along with their tractor’s serial number and a photo.

The actual production number was, for certain, 200 units. Ed from Toro looked things up for me about a year ago and had the listing showing that 200 serial numbers were issued.

Evidently, a second run was considered but later cancelled.

Here's an excerpt straight from the horse's mouth:

The 420LSE always generates a lot of discussion. I had it in my head that we made two production runs, but the records show otherwise. The serial tags, #00001 – 00200 were issued out on 5-20-86, so we built 200, not counting the prototype, which we have in storage. The plans to do another run in 1987 were apparently dropped, as the record shows 196 serial tags being scrapped in December, 1987. I don’t have the production printout for each month in these two years, so it is possible something may have happened during a “missing†month, but I don’t think so.

• Like 3

dennist

"Horse Sense" issue for Spring of 1989 had a letter from an owner. It shows him with his twin 420 LSEs. I am green with envy.

Cable,

This is crazy, I bought my 420 from Bion Foster ( the guy in your post #19), the man in this article! Pretty amazing when you think about it. He had both of them for sale along with a sweet 418-8, I bought one of the 420's and the 418. I am sorry to say I liked the 418-8 better. They both ran great, just the 418 had less wear.

Edited by dennist

Navig8r

There is a guy on CL Hudson valley, NY, in New Paltz, advertising a 420LSE parting out.... A wheel, steering wheel, non oem motor, and some other parts.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2