Sign in to follow this  
wh500special

Counter-rotating rear tiller?

wh500special

The garden plowing discussion in another thread reminded me of something I wanted to ask the panel:

Has anyone ever tried to convert a WH rear mounted tiller into a counter-rotating unit? (tiller rotation would be in opposite direction to tractor travel direction).

My ground here is exceptionally hard and I have found that the best a 36" WH tiller can do is bounce as it very slowly chips away at the soil. last season as I tilled with about 100 pounds strapped to the top of the tiller I started to wonder if it would be possible to make the tiller run in the opposite direction to get faster/deeper penetration of the tines. (I guess I could just remove the outer tines to get better digging but I doubt it would make a huge difference).

I of course "experimented" by putting the tractor in reverse with the tiller in the ground and was amazed at how it would dig!

Seems like if reversing the direction of the input pulley could be accomplished (perhaps through the use of a hydraulic pump/motor setup or some other means) all one would need to do would be to remove the tines and swap them left for right.

A counterrotating tiller digs hard and fast. Just wondering how stupid of an idea this might be.

Any suggestions, comments, threats, or questions appreciated!

Steve

TT

As long as the drive belt is, you might be able to reverse it at the idler assembly at the mid hitch. The belt would have a twist in it from the idlers back to the tiller, but that shouldn't hurt anything.