Sign in to follow this  
multihobbyguy

Hello and a question

multihobbyguy

First I would say that I have been lurking for awhile and this seems to be a great site with very knowledgeable people. So I thought I would introduce myself and say, hello. My name is Chris and I live in northern Virginia but, I am originally from Kansas. Growing up my father collected about anything and everything(old farm related machines and machinery) and garden tractors are one of the things that he has always latched onto. He picks up mostly Wheel Horses and Cub Cadets and like most collectors he has run out of space. So with the last large snow fall he told me he would give me another garden tractor if I purchased a snow blower to go on it. So my question is, he has a few 8,10, and 12hp wheel horse models, I believe B and C models he would part with so I am thinking bigger is better :party: , I am leaning towards the C-121 Auto, but I am not sure about Automatic or a 8 speed. I would use this tractor with a blade maybe to mow and of course if it ever snowed again I would want to try to blow some snow. If there is already post here to the pros and cons between the Auto/Hydro and 8 speed and someone could link it I would appreciate it. Or if you have feedback you wish to share I would also like to hear that, because, the sooner I figure out which model I want, the sooner I can start scouring ebay and craigslist for a snow-blower B) . Thanks Chris.

Duff

Hi, Chris and :party: as a poster!

I'm not deep enough into the hobby yet to make solid recommendations, but I might suggest posting in our classifieds for your snow chucker once you've settled on a tractor! (My instincts would be to go with a C-series, though.....)

Duff B)

Sparky

Hi Chris, :party: !

If he's willing to give you your choice I say go for the most HP you can. No sence limiting the size mowing deck you can run. The snowblowers need plenty of power in my opinion to be effective and although some guys use 8HP tractors with blowers they work better on tractors with more sack.

A C-121 is like a "78-79" model and it will be real easy to find any attachments for it.

Eight speed or hydro B) . I prefer my hydro tractor for snow-blowing as you have infinite speed control and usually a hydro will have hydraulic lift which is a nice feature when using a blower. I use a 42" single stage on a 416-H.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Mike..........

bowtieguy

Hi Chris...and :party: ...if your father still lives in Kansas, tell him I have your snow blower ...he is probably just across the state line.

Send me a pm offline and I'll tell you more about the WH snowblower....

PS: I can fix you up with a snow blade too!

If he is not in Kansas anymore, I guess you are on your own!! B)

bitten

Hello and B)

Good Luck

Gene_S

Hi Chris :party: gotta love them :clap: Good Luck... B)

rickv1957

Hello and B) Rick

JimD

i have nothing to add to the great advice already given, but i did want to say... B)

Suburban 550

:party: Chris. I have a 1979 C-121 8 speed with a snowblade and a 36" rear discharge mower which I owned since 1996. Works all year round. It's my favorite worker and has never given me any problems. Good luck on your decision. B)

VinsRJ

Hello Chris and B)

Good luck on your quest.

W9JAB
Matorhorse002-1-1.jpg

Roger from southern Iowa

I would also say go for the most horsepower. Personally for a year around,multifunction tractor, I would go with a hydro tractor, but, nothing against sticks. Just my opinion.

Chris, now that you've posted....keep at it.and B)

multihobbyguy

B) Just wanted to say thanks for the responses. I talked to my father last night and he seems the most comfortable with me taking the C-121 Automatic. I am more than happy with that one. Now I will have to find a couple of accessories to go with my new tractor. It will probably be summer before I can meet him or if he drives out for the Tuckahoe Steam and Gas annual show in July to receive the new machine. Which is probably good since I still have K241 apart on my bench that I need to put back together and put back in the tractor. Once again thanks for your responses. Chris.

rmaynard

B)

Nice to have you aboard Chris. Wherebouts in Northern VA are you located if you don't mind telling us?

Bob

multihobbyguy

I am in Fairfax Station, that is in Fairfax County, 22039. I am not very far from DC.

rmaynard

Thanks. I'm in New Windsor, MD, about 77 miles, give or take a few.

Bob

rickv1957

Hello and B) Rick :party:

TooMany

Hello Chris, I'm in Fredericksburg (not far from you at all), don't know how long you've been in VA but I might be able to tell you about some of the good show's in the area. I'm new to the site too but I'll still gaive you a B)

kajamo240

B)

wheel horse 1045

B)

fabricator2009

B)

mavfreak

B)