Sign in to follow this  
Roger from southern Iowa

GT14 question

Roger from southern Iowa

OK GT14 gurus! I have a friend who has this model of WH. His just has a single drive pulley on his transaxle . Were the double aka tractor drive/pto pulley an added option?

Also, is it common to find a GT14 with limited slip diff.? Mine has does have the double pulley and limited slip. This inquiring mind wants to know. B)

Thanks for any input.

rickv1957

I have seen GT14s both with and without double pulley,may have been an option,they did have the limited slip rear,Rick

Kelly

I think the double pulley was for tillers, but don't bank on that.

Brrly1

Ok, from what I understand they initally came out with a single pulley and then had another pulley set on the same shaft to the outside of the first pulley that had allen sets in the pulley to tighten down to the shaft. From what I have gathered that was breaking to many of the main shafts and pulleys, so they then developed a another pulley that had both pulleys as one whole unit instead of to single pulleys. I hope that made sense. Almost confused myself. There is also a belt guard that goes around that pulley, there is a u-bolt that holds the fender in place, this guard attaches to that u-bolt and the guard sits on the top part of the axle. Thats all I know for now. See ya, Bye Burly

B)

Brrly1

Kelly, you are 100% correct the double pulleys whether it was the two single pulleys or just the double pulley it was for the tiller . That was the only three pont implement they used that needed power supply everything else was mechanical. See Ya, Bye Burly

B)

One day I will learn to proofread before posting

Juggler

:party: I'm afraid I'm gonna hafta call for pics of these pulleys. B)

billyban1

You guys are correct. The bell shaped double pulley is for the rototiller. My best friend has a 1972 GT-14 with all the attachments. The down side to that double pulley is the strain it puts on the hydro pumps shaft. Many years ago, it snapped the shaft off at the pump housing seal and it took many years before he was able to find a replacement shaft, and then the replacement shaft had to be sent to a machine shop to mill the flats on the end of it to accept the belt pulley. He will never use his tiller again for that reason. Just like the rest of us, he's been pushing a lot of snow with that GT-14 lately. My snow pusher is a 1976 C-160. My 520H has the 42" blower mounted on it for a back-up.

Brrly1

Billy Ban, Yup was his two single pulleys sitting side by side or was his the single-double pulley? Kind of curious? Thanks See Ya, Bye Burly

B)

Brrly1

BillyBan1 Besides that Welcome to the Square. There are a lot of Knowledgeable people here that help many of us with information at any given time. So Welcome!!

B)

Roger from southern Iowa

Thanks everyone for the input. Mine has the single-double pulley. I got my questions answered. As usual around here, the information was available! B)

wheel horse 1045

so am i to understand that the GT14 was not good for a tiller because of the damage it can cause to the unit and the reason im asking this is because i was wanting a GT14 just for the tiller?

billyban1

My friends GT-14 pulley was a single 2-belt pulley. I know he used his tiller for a few years before the shaft broke. It could have been a previously cracked shaft, we will never know. He will not take a chance on it happening again. The tiller part of the pulley is considerably larger in diameter than the hydro drive belt groove and the way the pulley is bell shaped, it amplifies the strain on the shaft. A large rock or a big root could be too much for it. Don't take me wrong, I love those GT-14s. They are the "D" series predecessor.

Brrly1

Ok , well I have been using my Dads tractor for the past 7 years from 2003 to 2010 here in Toledo. My Dad used it from 72' to 99' which was the years he passed away. I don't believe this tractor ever had any major problems as I am still running the original motor. This is a great tractor and turns the dirt to powder as I have also done many of my neighbors gardens also. I run the single double pulley without any problems. At any rate thats all I know for now. See Ya, Bye Burly

B)

fireman

Here is a picture of the double pulley on my 73 GT-14

100_0561.jpg

billyban1

Wow! The picture tells me my memory is failing. The hydro drive pulley is bigger than the tiller pulley. Well, it isn't my tractor and I haven't looked at my friend drive pulley in quite a few years. I stand corrected.

refracman

The Gt14 had 4 different tiller pulleys on 3 different hydro pump shaft configurations, Double D, keyed and splined. You cant really tell in these pics which is which but the added pulley is for 69/70, keyed was for the 70/71 and the splined fit 72/73.

011-5.jpg

010-5.jpg

bitten

Wasnt there a rear finish mower for the GT14? If so was that ran off of the same pulley as the tiller?

Duff

I'm no engineer to say the least, but looking at the distance out from the pump face that the outer pulley sits must put an ungodly torsional strain on the pump shaft if anything binds up. Even if the shaft doesn't break, I would think the bearing would be under a lot of stress. I wonder if the bearings were prone to failure? :party:

Duff B)

Brrly1

Attention Boatman, this is what you need to Look at! I don't know how to copy it over to the other page so I just reposted it I hope this doesn't upset the MODS See Ya, Bye Burly B)

:party:

boatman

Thanks guys, that was alot of good info on tiller pulley system. I

would really like to have a tiller on this tractor but I sure would be sick if

I broke a shaft or damaged a bearing. Looks like being as the tiller has a

belt tentioner type clutch, it might be better to modifiy the tiller

slighly and add it's own motor. You could still take advantage of

3 pt hitch but not hurt the tractor. B)

Brrly1

Boatman, I have heard of that being done but between my Dad and myself my GT14 has tilled the ground since 72' and haven't had any problems. That tiller just turns that dirt to powder. I haven't seen a better tiller at all. I guess you can say that I am biased but what can I say. I wish you luck in which ever direction you decide to go. See Ya, Bye Burly B)

boatman

Thanks BRRLY, I have a tiller on my c-125. These wh tillers

are great tillers. One just sold on ebay that was for the GT14.went for

$250. I probably should have bought it.I kind of wanted to see

how well this tractor performs before I spend to much. I just

haven't had time to do anything with it yet. I have to fix a couple tires,

get a batt and a throttle and choke cable for it. Possible have some

electrical issues too. It is not showing that it is charging. Could be a

guage or wiring issue. It does run well though.Can't wait for the 3 pt

hitch to come. Tractor sits on nice. I think I will really like it. Looking

forward going through it and getting it all painted up and decaled.

Have a good one! B)

rickv1957

I learn something new everyday,didnt know there was 3 different pulley setups,Rick

defed

where are you located boatman? i have GT-14 tiller that i was going to modify to work on my C-195 3 pt running off the front pto. i have a tiller for my D now, so i will probably never use it and would possibly consider parting w/ it if you were close enough. right now it is just being used as weight for the C-195 w/ blower, tho i use the D for blowing now.

oldandred

where are you located boatman? i have GT-14 tiller that i was going to modify to work on my C-195 3 pt running off the front pto. i have a tiller for my D now, so i will probably never use it and would possibly consider parting w/ it if you were close enough. right now it is just being used as weight for the C-195 w/ blower, tho i use the D for blowing now.

location in his profile