nylyon

Wheel Horse Paint Recommendations

Tankman

I just gotta say, when my dad and I did a partial restore on my Commando 6, we used Krylon Cherry Red and I hate it. When I do a proper restore over the summer, I'll probably use Valspar IH Red.

I used the RustOleum Regal Red. Was almost a perfect match but then, the old paint was faded every where.

But yes, RustOleum Regal Red from Home Cheapo was as near a match as I've seen.

Just wish I was a better painter. :eusa-think:

• Like 1

smoreau

I just gotta say, when my dad and I did a partial restore on my Commando 6, we used Krylon Cherry Red and I hate it. When I do a proper restore over the summer, I'll probably use Valspar IH Red.

I used the RustOleum Regal Red. Was almost a perfect match but then, the old paint was faded anywhere.

:text-yeahthat: I don't have the patents for paint to dry! I just want to get it done to fast and it shows.

rmaynard
On 7/22/2012 at 7:02 AM, smoreau said:
I don't have the patents for paint to dry! I just want to get it done to fast and it shows.

That is the problem with off-the-shelf paints such as Valspar, Krylon or Rustoleum. They take weeks to completely cure, and I too don't have the patience or the time to wait. For that reason, I have switched to acrylic urethane automotive paint, which if forced dry at 140° F, can be ready to assemble, apply decals, etc. an hour or so after painting. Even if I don't force it dry, I only have to wait 12 hours for it to be completely dry and cured.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 5

Tankman

RustOleum Regal Red worked fine. Almost a perfect match.

While I was painting, painted a very old Radio Flyer wagon. Another paint match for RustOleum! :)

Tankman

Not a great painter, or an eye for color either. Guess I'm gettin' old.

Passed the USMC (air wing) color blindness test with flyin' colors 45 years ago in Millington, TN.

The RustOleum Regal Red lookin' good on my new project. I'll have to see how the finish holds up.

The Regal Red did an excellent job on an old Radio Flyer that was sittin' in a corner of my barn.

Grand kids love the Horse and the Flyer too. :)

Need an idea. Foot rests for my '73 1-0465 / Auto / 12 HP.

My grandson says, "Use skateboard grip tape." Any thoughts?

Tankman

Beautiful paint jobs! I'm not a painter, shake, rattle 'n spray.

I'm usin' the RustOleum Regal Red, Wheel Horse and Radio Flyer wagon for the grand kids. Looks great.

I have a couple of quarts of RustOleum satin white, looked ok on the Radio Flyer wheels. Guess I'll use it up.

smoreau

I use rattle cans as I don't like to use a gun. Yes it's not as good as a gun, but that's what I have to work with at the moment tell I get a larger place to work on these tractors. I like the valspar and I am going to miss it when I run out of it. It works good for me and i cook it after I am done painting in a small make shift room at 85-90 deg with low humidity and its 75% dry in 24 hours. Its not as hard as if I sprayed it with a gun but it looks _#*$ good to me and that is all that matters! If I had a better place to do this I would, and will some day, start using a gun for this.

COMMANDO6

I don't have any fancy place to paint, I'm gonna use a redneck paint booth. I'm going to use Valspar IH in a gun. I could use a rattle can, but I have more experience with a gun/airbrush.

• Like 1

Kevin Pate

I just went and picked up three rattle cans and a quart of the Valspar IH Red on clearance (less than $25). I talked to the store manager about the Majic paint and that several restorers having issues with it. He said that they are possibly taking it off the shelves at the end of the week. Not for sure if this is a load of bull or he was serious. I'll be back in on saturday to see if this is true or not/////

Martin

i dont really take much notice if the valspar paint is still available or not at farm and fleet (chain of stores in my area similar to tsc), but yesterday i was in there shopping for other things and i thought id check out the paint area. still stocked like business as usual, so i guess for the moment farm and fleet stores in the northwestern il area still carry it.

Illinois

Wisconsin

Iowa

Tankman

Saw this afternoon, although I wasn't lookin' for paint, plenty of Valspar paint at Lowes.

Tankman

I used the RustOleum Regal Red. Was almost a perfect match but then, the old paint was faded anywhere.

:text-yeahthat: I don't have the patents for paint to dry! I just want to get it done to fast and it shows.

I don't have patience waitin' for dry paint either. I usually paint before hittin' the sack, only way

I can control myself!

5653252e.jpg

SousaKerry

Also found that Duplicolor Engine Enamel Ford Red is a spot on match for Rustolium Regal Red, I used this combination on my 655 and you can't tell the engine was painted with a different paint

Bdubs75

I started with rustoleum sunrise red... Didn't like it . I ended up using rustoleum regal red and it seems close to the original sticker color. I really do not like the durability of rattle can. Seems very prone to chipping. So I brushed then rolled. Bake in sun for two days, wet sanded and used clear enamel spray (rustoleum) for finish. Looks very nice. But get an even coat with the clear, it does not like to touch up evenly. Take a look at my pics for results. It seems very durable

duke

I used the International Harvestor Red and Krylon paint & primer Ivory, really good match! Although both paints are getting hard to find now.

Tankman

'88 414-8 has silver/gray wheels.

Is there a rattle can match off the Home 'Cheapo' or Lowe's shelf?

Used RustOleum high temp black (barbeque) rattle can on my '73 12 hp/automatic exhaust.

Holding up and looks fine, painted the exhaust a month ago.

specialwheelhorse

I used to use Krylon Ivory Gloss and liked it well but about a year ago I

noticed it did not match some wheels I had painted before, Seemed a little

too white and Didn't match at all ( I really think they changed on me.)

Now IH white seems much closer. ( Valspar )

Jim in Texas

Rock farmer

What about the black for black hoods?

Gloss, semi gloss or flat?

Mine was flat.

But it was very old. And repainted once.

bountyhunter

What about the black for black hoods?

Gloss, semi gloss or flat?

Mine was flat.

But it was very old. And repainted once.

I use Krylon Primer and Krylon Gloss paints for all of my colors. I have had great results. Others say they didn't, so it's personal preference I guess.

• Like 1

RDML2006

Sure wish I would have read this post before I started using the Majic paint in a rattle can. The only thing majic about it is getting it to dry! I'm glad I started with a couple of small parts to see how it turned out.

Now off with the stripper and back to ACE for some Regal Red.

KC9KAS
RDML2006 :WRS:

KC9KAS

I found a web site listing for a company that makes/sells high temperature paints. I have not checked them out, and I know nothing about them.

www.hightempspraypaint.com Phone # 800-537-7023

Wishin4a416

I had a can of Rustoleum Gloss Ivory here at home and was going to use it on the 160 wheels. Turns out it was old and wouldnt spray. So when in town today, I stopped at Busy Beaver to get 2 cans but no luck. So I ended up getting Canvas White. Anybody ever try this color? Anywho, I have a front wheel at work drying on the catwalk above the boilers. Bout 120 there constant.

Rock farmer

I'm painting a black hood.

Just naturally figured paint the red, mask and paint the black.

Then, I thought maybe I should paint the black. Then mask

And paint the red?

Which way would produce the better paint line?

Joe

Xjchief

I used tractor supply majic brand IH red and IH white and that was some nice paint. The white was the antique/linen white and the red covered very good.