Sign in to follow this  
rustynut

not sure what this is

Duff

I'm neither a Moderator nor an Admin, but I'm going to jump in here as one of the first 50 who joined this forum and reads it daily....and loves this place!

Sparky's comments are on the money. But let me also add that TT is not only a resource for us all, he's also a teacher. Today's information-laden world, especially with the advent of the Internet, tends to make us all (me too!) a little lazy. We've become conditioned to expect instant gratification. Why search around if we can simply post a question and expect someone else to pipe up with the answer? Fact of the matter is by doing a little research on our own before posting we not only learn more about our own tractors (in this case, searching for an ID tag), but also by using the "Search" feature and checking other threads we often gain useful knowledge beyond the question we started out with.

When I first came on board here I was (some would say I still am!) a total rookie with these tractors. As I posted, some members, often TT, sometimes Eldon and others, would advise me to either try a search for the answer, to RTFM (read the freakin' manual for those not familiar), or to go back to my tractor and look more closely at something. Sure, I may have been a little put off sometimes, but I quickly came to realize that these guys weren't calling me stupid, rather they were trying to get me to put in that little bit of extra effort that would pay off (and it has!) down the road in terms of working on my machines. By the same token, if the answer I needed was either something obscure or hard to find, TT was usually the first to jump in either here on the forum or by PM to give me the info I needed. Others have done the same.

What I've learned over the past couple years here is that rarely is something posted that's meant to be a personal insult or attack on anyone. In a group of over 2,600 members there are bound to be a few feathers ruffled or things said in the heat of the moment, but the Mods and Admins are usually quite quick to nip these in the bud and we move along from it. More often it's either good natured ribbing or, as in this case with TT's posts, an attempt to help a member grow and get the most out of being here and working on these great machines. His comment "at 15 you've got more time than you think" is actually very insightful (remember - he's a Dad, too). When we were that age I think most of us expected to get certain things done or answered instantly or we'd miss out on something. With age we've [hopefully] come to realize the value, and often enjoyment, in digging around for information or busting our knuckles (figuratively, not physically!) a few times on something before reaching out.

All this said, I don't mean for one second to discourage anyone from posting a question here! Quite the opposite! It's questions that lead to the threads that build the knowledge base we can often tap by using the "search" feature. And not everything about these tractors has been discussed or answered already, nor do I think we'll ever have all the answers. Questions also give rise to some useful, unique and helpful solutions to problems we may not yet have encountered or different ways around them, ways to work with and around the increasing scarcity of parts, and to create an overall sense of bonding around these great tractors. And some people through no fault of their own simply have difficulty with the "search "feature and/or computers in general.

Anyway, I yield the soap box to others. I just felt the need to chime in as I saw this thread headed in a direction it really doesn't need to, and to hopefully give our new members some perspective. We're all here for each other, and that's what keeps this place special!

Best wishes to all,

Duff B)

nylyon

How the administrators put up with this is beyond me. B)

Ok, I've received a couple of PM's on this subject. First my apologies to rustynut for having this thread go so far off topic. I hope you got your answer to your question.

RedSquare has a policy against personal attacks. Although TT's comment is on the sarcastic side, I don't see it as being an attack, some of you disagree with that and that's fine as long as your disagreement isn't a personal attack.

To directly answer the quoted text. As an admin, I receive a lot of PM's, e-mails and even phone calls regarding everything from behavior on the forum to members unable to sign up, no e-mail for their registration, classifieds, EVEN problems with other forums... etc. Not citing this post as an example, I see dozens of posts on this forum which are inapproperiate and they get dealt with AND, 99% of the time you NEVER see them because either I or a moderator has fixed, cleaned or removed the post. I have seen as many as 50 moderator actions in a single day, and again these are TRANSPARENT to our members.

Some members get upset because of :party:, some because we wish people Happy Birthday and others because they're not happy with a PM they received. I'm sorry you feel that we put up with so much here, I disagree, you really don't see what happens here like I do. I look at a lot of other forums, and quite frankly this forum is better moderated than most, if not all.

Again, feel free to disagree but please do so in a productive manner and don't go on an attack.

rustynut

everyting is fine tt was just tryin to help me out theres no grudges

rustynut

should this tractor i have be put in the picture gallery since tehres not one in there

rickv1957

A 1046 is a model I never known of,learned something new! B) Rick

rwilson

is the 1046 rare?

rustynut

yes very rare ifn you havent read the other post that tt was talkin bout he said it is very rare thers not even a picture of it on here well other than on this post the one wioht the grey hooddd

jusjeepn

Hey rustynut, I have a 1046 and need parts. Send me a pm if you wanna sell it!

Horse'n Around

Congrats on your new Horse, Im officially jealous B) Enjoy!

John

rustynut

Lol

CasualObserver

thers not even a picture of it on here well other than on this post

A 1046 is pictured in This post....... B)

Retired Wrencher

HI every one. It is not an 857 it could be an 1057or 1257 but I did notice the plastic gas tank?????? i have 857and 1257 and both have an steel gas tank. also the 857 does not have the 3 notch clutch on side for the pto. I hope this helps. T/C all Gary B..... B):party::clap::hbd:B) for ever

rustynut

well so i think it might be a 1046 i think the ol guy put it on there before i got it.