Sign in to follow this  
persof

How much weight

persof

I have a 1988 312-8 and I had each rear wheel filled with 5.5 gal of RimGuard (about 60lbs). My local Wheel Horse dealer says "no more than 50lbs per wheel", but with all of this snow I need more weight (and chains). If I add additional iron weights will I risk tranny damage?

www.jimsrepairjimstractors.com/tractor-weight.htm

Thanks

Francis

nylyon

In my opinion, the chains are a whole lot more important than the weight. If you aren't running chains, I would highly suggest getting a set. For the weight, because the weight is on the rims (and tires), there isn't much load on the axle. I know a lot of guys have filled tires AND wheel weights without problems.

rickv1957

Chains only will do a nice job!,Rick

GlenPettit

What you are doing with the tractor is a big big factor.

C-Series14

Been driving this tractor for well over 10 years with this setup...100 lbs. of wheel weights and the suitcase weights are 40 lbs. I believe. It has a FEL on it also.

001-2.jpg

wheelhorsec85

all you have to do is put the weight on the rims not the tractor and you will be fine . you are not putting weight on the tranny if you put the weight on the rims . and do get yourself chains B)

persof

I had purchased chains from my local Wheel Horse dealer and the night before a big storm I tried to put them on and found that they were to big. Unfortunatley I returned them for a refund and not ones that actually fit correctly. Chains that fit will be ordered ASAP.

Thanks

Francis

can whlvr

i agree that chains will greatly imptove traction,remember that weight on the rim is the best but added strain to brakes and gears when taking off is a factor,i use 50 on each tire,got some windsheild fluid in the tires and chains and she is unstoppable