Sign in to follow this  
forphase1

Hydraulic System on a C-160

forphase1

Alright. I got that C-160 started and mechanically everything seems to be working alright, at least from what limited testing I was able to do so far. However, the hydraulic system is leaking really, really badly from the piston (see attached pictures). So my questions are these.

First, looking at my parts manual, it appears that it is one solid piece, part number 6618, Cylinder Assembly. However, I admit to knowing little about hydraulic systems. Is there a washer to something inside of this piston can I can replace and fix the problem? Or do I need to get a new complete unit?

Second, depending on the above answer, where should I get the part? Ebay, Toro, another party, etc?

Third, as long as I don't use the hydraulic system, is it alright for be to continue working on and using the tractor, or will that cause further damage to the hydraulic system?

Sorry for the noob questions, but this is my first restoration project, and I don't want to mess anything up. Thanks in advance for any information/advice!

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

bitten

You should be able to rebuild it. Check that the rod isnt pitted real bad and that it isnt bent.

You should be able to get a rebuild manual from the Toro sit and it will go into detail on how to do it.

Good Luck.

TT

But...... If it's the welded cylinder you will have to have it rebuilt by a capable shop.

rickv1957

Finding a used cylinder on ebay that does not leak will be slim as they all are 30 years old also,Rick