Sign in to follow this  
kajamo240

Headlamps

kajamo240

Pretty spendy but would like to see that comparison.

Crazywheelhorseman

if you get a headlight bucket and changed out the pigtail to a dual contact not only would you have lights but it would also give you a high and low beam :banghead: :thumbs:

kajamo240

*Thinking...* Hmmm.... Haha!

So I think that I have the basic idea how I want to do the head lights and tail lights, now onto getting the plow flashy light :thumbs: .

Since I don't have a cab, I can fabricate a pole to come up from behind the seat that raises up behind me like they have on boats and have a light sitting up there...

Oh man, too many ideas... MUST...... STOP.....! :banghead:

TT

now onto getting the plow flashy light :banghead: .

How about one of these? :thumbs:

kajamo240
now onto getting the plow flashy light

MikesRJ

Porkchop had this pic in another post. The headlights installed are the LED type.

milleroct394.jpg

Now if I can only find one of these with a light on it, I'll be set.

propeller-beanie_ecb98991.jpg

418a

Matt,I've got a B80 also and didn't have any assembly of a light whatsoever 50 buck tractor,instead of spending alot on hardware I bought a pair of LED light from napa rectangle ones welded them together and mounted them to the inside of the hood,28 bucks!!! Look almost stock but alittle blue,very bright,Good Luck.Brian

KC9KAS

Go to a yard sale and buy an old Carbide Light (mounted on a cap) like the coon hunters use! :thumbs:

Wait a minute, you can't buy carbide anymore, so scratch that. :banghead:

tgranthamfd

These

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/sto...F1156-x18-T.htm

Are Not directional, they work just as the old style minus the heat and extra power consumption. They come with 1156 or 1157 bases, and they are plenty bright. I think some other members have these in as replacements, so do I.

Can you take a picture of one 1156 Incandescent and one LED 1156 from about 25 feet away? That would indicate a good comparison.....

Mike, that sounds like a good idea, but it will have to wait until tomorrow night. I have been working all day and just now got in here to look at this post. What type of shot do you think would show the best view, straight on front. I hope I can fine my old regular bulbs. You are talking one shot with 1 of each bulb in, right.

MikesRJ

These

Are Not directional, they work just as the old style minus the heat and extra power consumption. They come with 1156 or 1157 bases, and they are plenty bright. I think some other members have these in as replacements, so do I.

Can you take a picture of one 1156 Incandescent and one LED 1156 from about 25 feet away? That would indicate a good comparison.....

Mike, that sounds like a good idea, but it will have to wait until tomorrow night. I have been working all day and just now got in here to look at this post. What type of shot do you think would show the best view, straight on front. I hope I can fine my old regular bulbs. You are talking one shot with 1 of each bulb in, right.

Try taking one from the drivers seat which shows the glow off the ground (may or may not be too successful). and a couple from straight ahead @ 10-15ft., then off-center 5 ft (left and right sides), and off-center 10 ft. (left and right sides).

jusjeepn

Very interested in your results! :thumbs:

tgranthamfd

These

Try taking one from the drivers seat which shows the glow off the ground (may or may not be too successful). and a couple from straight ahead @ 10-15ft., then off-center 5 ft (left and right sides), and off-center 10 ft. (left and right sides).

Well didn't get the results I expected, flash kept messing with me so most I took with the flash off, but you can see a difference in the brightness. Left the lights on for about 25 mins. couldn't feel any real heat difference through the lens. Here are some shots. These are at dusk with the flash.

DSC01062.jpg

DSC01065.jpg

DSC01066.jpg

DSC01067.jpg

These are with the flash covered up.

DSC01070.jpg

DSC01073.jpg

DSC01074.jpg

DSC01076.jpg

I really couldn't figure out a good way to get a ilumination shot from the seat, may go back out in a minute and try again. Once again this is not really the results I was looking for, but the LED's DO iluminate well.

MikesRJ

How about pull it up to the closed garage door. Maybe 10 ft away?

From the current pictures it almost looks like the incandescent is brighter (and more yellow), that the left LED light.

tgranthamfd

Just don't know if my camera is going to do the LED's justice, kinda like the paint looking orange sometimes. Standing and looking at the two I can tell the LED is way brighter, and there is no lights in my shed when parked faceing the wall in the back, it lights up the entire 16' x 20' shed all the way back to the door and some up in the loft. Might try a few more shots in the shed. The flash is really screwing me on this deal.

kajamo240

How about pull it up to the closed garage door. Maybe 10 ft away?

From the current pictures it almost looks like the incandescent is brighter (and more yellow), that the left LED light.

Yeah your right. The LED doesn't look nearly as bright.

tgranthamfd

Tried again, when in drivers seat the LED is on the right side, from front it is on the left. I still think the camera is not doing the LED justice, but the naken eye does.

drivers seat close to wall.

DSC01079.jpg

Drivers seat 10' from wall.

DSC01081.jpg

Front looking left to right from 3'.

DSC01082.jpg

Front up close from left to right, right to left, and straight on.

DSC01087.jpg

DSC01088.jpg

DSC01086.jpg

Once again this is no lighting in the shed and camera flash turned off, now I have a headace from the exhaust fumes. Guess it all depends on wheather one likes the clean white light or the dingy yellow lighting.

MikesRJ

It appears the LED is brighter by a good deal in the last set of pictures. Especially when you were up against the wall.

All things considered, the MAJOR benefit to using LED's is that (when your electrical system is running incandescent lights) much of the rectifier's output is running the lights rather than charging engine system or the battery. LED lighting systems use far laess power than incandescent's.

Considering ~4 Amps is needed to run the headlamps, and another 1-1/2 Amp to the rear lights, you're drawing ~6 Amps of the available 15 Amps away from the battery and engine. With the LED's in front and back you might be pulling ~1 AMP, leaving 14 Amps for the engine and battery charge (or more LED lights......lol).

Incandescent Bulbs

1156 incandescent bulbs (~22 Watts) = ~2.100 Amps each

1003 Incandescent bulbs (~10 Watts) = ~0.91 Amps each

Total light system = 6.02 Amps

LED Replacements

High Power LED 1156 Bulb (p/n: 1156-x18-T) = ~0.175 Amps each

BA9 LED bulb (p/n: BA9s-WHP9) = ~0.035 Amps each

Total light system = 0.420 Amps

kajamo240

Very good point Mike.

Because I do have plans on putting some rear tail lights and back up lights on it and in the winter, having the flashy light :banghead: , so the output might end up being greater than the input... :thumbs:

MikesRJ

An LED Strobe light like this one ( http://order.waytekwire.com/productdetail2...LIGHT%20YELLOW/ ) only draws about 0.150 Amps. Not very much. Considering the normal incandescent lighting system was OK at 6 Amps, you can add a metric $H#T-ton of LED's before you get to that number.

You'll still be well under the original system current draw even if you added 30 LED lights. These rear lights ( http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/sto...pecs%2Fm180.htm ) only draw 0.140 Amps each. You'd have to add roughly 14 LED tail lights to equal the current draw of the original 2 Amp, twin-bulb incandescent tail light setup.

But I like these better for my 10-8: ( http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/sto...specs%2Fpbm.htm )

wh500special

I call Bullsh!

That has to be one of the best responses I

MikesRJ

I call Bullsh!

That has to be one of the best responses I

Duff

...and those of us sitting ringside to this little debate are not only enjoying it, but also learning a whole lot as we go! :banghead:

(Oh yeah, I call "Thanks!")

Duff :thumbs:

kajamo240

...and those of us sitting ringside to this little debate are not only enjoying it, but also learning a whole lot as we go! :WRS:

(Oh yeah, I call "Thanks!")

Duff :thumbs:

Agreed. This is some really good info for me as I am the one who wants to do the upgrade! :banghead: