Sign in to follow this  
sscotsman

Hello from Western NY

sscotsman

Hello Redsquare forum! :WRS:

Im glad I found you guys..

Hi, my name is Scot, im originally from South-Central NY state, and now live out on the west side of Rochester. I dont yet own a Wheel Horse, but I plan to start looking for one soon! :lol:

This whole thing started a year ago, when I needed to buy a snowblower for the first time. (my wife and I recently bought our first house)

I looked at new snowblowers, joined some forums, did a lot of research, and discovered that many brand-new snowblowers are absolute junk..

I ended up with a 40 year old snowblower that I absolutely love!

685686894_Vo5Mo-O.jpg

I love the fact that its 100% American made, and is of MUCH better quality than the new Big Box junk..this snowblower has started my new hobby! :wwp:

I became so intrigued with the machine, that I ended up making a detailed webpage about the early Ariens snowblowers! I now have a detailed resource of information that did not exist on the internet previously..here is my Ariens page:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/Ariens/

My wife and I live out on the fringes where suburbia begins to fade, and rural land begins..its sort of half-and-half.. We only have a half-acre yard right now, but we are considering moving again, and getting even more land..we really enjoy gardening. Right now I am using a push mower and dont really *need* a riding mower..but if we move to a bigger piece of land, a riding mower/tractor would be a good thing..and my wife said, after mowing the lawn last summer on a hot day: "you know, we should maybe consider a riding mower.." so I have official clearance! :thumbs: and we arent getting any younger, we wont want to use the push mower forever..

So in recent weeks I started looking into old mowers and garden tractors..I joined "mytractorforum" (which led to this forum) and I think I have decided that I want to look for a 1960's Wheel Horse! I would use it primarily, for now, as a mower, but when we move, it would get more general use as well..

I love my 40 year old snowblower so much, and am so impressed with its quality, (compared to new junk) that I now want to get a 40 or 50 year old Garden Tractor!

So I have a question for you guys..Im interested in the early 60's Wheel Horses, with the rounded hoods, I think that is the style I want to look for..Looking over some info on this forum last night, I found a few that seem to be "only" riding mowers..not necessarily "garden tractors"..is this correct? Are there any specific models you would recommend I look for? lets say for a 2-acre property, with an acre of lawn and some large gardens..

I know some of you guys are going to laugh at this..but I really want to find *only one* Wheel Horse! :banghead: (yes I know..we will see how that goes!) but for now I want to concentrate on finding one good one..a machine that is usable as-is, but that I can also maybe slowly restore over time..a "daily driver" (to use "car collector speak")..as I said, I dont absolutely *need* a riding mower right now, so time is on my side..I wouldnt mind taking 2-5 years to look around, to make sure I really find the machine I want, not just the "first one that comes along"..

thanks!

Scot

rmaynard

:thumbs:

Hello Scot,

Welcome to the best Wheel Horse forum on the web.

There is nothing wrong with being a one horse owner. I am currently in the same status.

Feel free to ask all the questions you want. Info is always free.

Bob

JimD

:thumbs: you can start in the classified section here, members do offer them for sale from time to time. also, check out ebay. again, :banghead:

Duff

Hi, Scot! That's a great story, and a hearty :banghead: ! You came to the right place!

I don't know too much about the 60's-era tractors beyond what I've read here (I'm a 300-series addict), so I'll leave that commentary and recommendations to our brethren who are more versed in those machines.

BTW, I've got a 10 YO Ariens that's built like a tank - absolutely love it! I'll be checking out your web site soon.

Again, welcome aboard, and I'm sure others will jump in shortly to offer both greetings and advice.

Cheers!

Duff :thumbs:

WHC-125

Scot :thumbs:

rickv1957

Hello and :thumbs: Rick

W9JAB

Mator say's Hi!

[imghttp]

VinsRJ

:thumbs: and good luck on your search!

Indy w h

1 horse or 100 horses this is the place for the horse lover!!!!

:thumbs: , Scot

Indy

Sparky

Mike......

sscotsman

Thanks everyone!

Im happy to be here..

I spent a fair amount of time this afternoon cruising around the forums..

lots of cool stuff here!

Scot

buckrancher

Hi Scot :thumbs:

Suburban 550

:thumbs: Scot

rockbuilt

hi Scot and :thumbs: I don't know about those models but there are many here that do

I do know that what ever model you choose you will love it and be warned WH tractors are like potato chips "you can't have just one"

420lse

:thumbs: Scot

gwgdog66

Scot :WRS::banghead:

I have an Ariens SP Walk behind that I wouldn't trade. Well maybe for a Wheel Horse :thumbs:

tgranthamfd

Hi Scot, :thumbs: I, too, made it for quite a while with 1 Wheel Horse. I then found 1 to restore, then a couple more workers, then a few attachments. Now I just need to finish up everythink I have gotten started. Mine are from 4 different era's and I love them all, just wish I could figure out how to drive them all at once. Welcome.

KC9KAS

Well, after reading your introduction, I think you really know what you want! :thumbs:

As others said...."I started out with just 1 WH....". In time you will find the "just 1" that you want, but then there will be others! :banghead:

As you stated, there is a vast amount of knowledge from many of the forum participants. That is one reason I love to read this stuff morning and evening!

MikesRJ

bitten

Hello and :thumbs:

Your studies have got you in the right direction.

fabricator2009

:thumbs: Ken from Mentone IN.

d180man

Hi :WRS: u will love it on here !! :thumbs: :banghead:

Redbird

:WRS: Hi Scot!

Great to see another new member. The people here are great and the amount of info and help available is astounding. I'm sure you'll find everything you're looking for, here.

We look forward to seeing you at the shows this year :wwp:

Oh yeah.... I hope you have a VERY understanding wife!

As I tell all Newbies............. 1 or 2 horses will NEVER be enough :banghead:

Again Welcome to REDSQUARE :thumbs:

whfan74

:banghead: :thumbs::WRS:

You have definitely come to the best place to talk Horse's.

Like other's have mentioned you know what you want. Personally I would try and find a late 60's Horse that is hydro. You are going to be dealing with a little bit bigger machine than the early 60's round hoods. But since you are gardening I might suggest looking in to a gear driven machine as many prefer tilling with gear driven over hydro units.

It seems as though you have done your research and the right Horse will come your way when you least expect it to. Just make sure you have your money ready.......they jump out at any given moment!

Glad to have you aboard.......enjoy the forum!