Sign in to follow this  
stumphanger55

Tranny problems

stumphanger55

Hi guys. First time posting. What a great site. Hope someone can help. When placed in gear and clutch released, tractor will not move. Drive pulley and shaft turns, but no motion in either direction. Parking brake holds when applied. Dealers parts book shows what appears to be a key on the main output shaft. I think that key may have broken. Does this sound correct? If so, what is involved in splitting the transmission and making the repair? I was also told that it would be better if one side of the case was down against a surface, then lift the upper side. Something about the guts remaining in place better when seperated. Which side should remain down? Thanks for any and all comments. Mark

stevasaurus

sounds like a key thing...could be woodruff key(s) in the hubs...if it is just one, your parking brake could still work? :WRS: The right side of the trany should be down and pull the left side. :banghead:

Don't do anything until someone agrees with me. :wwp: 90 percent sure. :thumbs:

Brrly1

Hello, I am going to ask one silly question. How cold is it there, is the tractor inside and heated or semi - heated garage. Is tractor stored outside and does it have a good boot over the shifter. Rear end could be frozen just a thought. See Ya, Bye Burly

:thumbs:

rickv1957

Hello and :thumbs: ,Rick

oldandred

If the pully is turning with belt and the shaft isnt itsa key But if shaft is turning bad news but I find it hard to belive the gear is sheared inside the tranny

pfrederi

There is a right and wrong way to put the transmission in the vice when you split it. Before you do that download the trans repair manual free from Toro website.

If the input shaft is turning (the shaft not just the pulley) then another quick check would be to check both axle hubs and make sure one isn't slipping on the axle.

Duff

Although it would be unusual, there is the possibility that the end of the shift lever that engages the forks inside the tranny has broken off so that the forks don't move the gears to engage them. :banghead: If the parking brake is holding, then at least some (most) of the gears internally are still intact.

Splitting the tranny isn't that daunting a task, but I'd download a copy of a tranny manual (could someone please jump in here with a link?) and follow it to the letter.

Had the tranny been working properly up to now, or did you just get this tractor?

Another thought - and this did happen to me. Even though it shoudn't, the Hi-Lo range slector can get stuck in between the two ranges in a sort of "neutral" state. Have you tried changing ranges and then shifting?

Duff :thumbs:

stumphanger55

Guys, thanks for the great input and ideas. I have had the tractor since '85 and the only operator for the most part, so no abuse. This happened in mid summer of '08, and it has always been shedded. I have tried every thing each of suggested, leading me to believe a wood ruff key has sheared. When it stopped, I was backing out of the shed, level, and it simply stopped moving. This will be one of those projects that will have to be done some time in the future, but I wanted some ideas of what to look for. Again, thanks for all the help.

By the way, is there still a meeting/gathering up in Pennsylvania or somewhere each year? I sure would like to get to one of those.

Mark