Sign in to follow this  
Gene_S

Lawn Ranger Find

Gene_S

Hi All,

Just thought I would show this Lawn Ranger I found at an New Years Day auction. A friend had went to the aution and I told her to look out for any Wheel Horse's. She gave us a call and said there was two of them. Then she started to explain this one and we just had to go see it. The serial number tag is in tack (over the starter switch hole) and it says 62-1695or 1395 but it has a two piece tank like the 63 models. The motor has good compression and it is missing the hood unfortunetly. After looking at the list of tractors in the Wheel Horse book I believe it is a 62 32R. If any one thinks otherwise let me know. Is the spring under the steering wheel between it and the gas tank correct?

DSC02043.jpg

DSC02038.jpg

And the other tractor was a C-195 that I would liked to of had but just don't have the money right now.

Thanks,

Gene :thumbs:

TT

The non-pneumatic front tires are a dead giveaway to it being a 1962, Gene, and the recoil start makes it an "R", so you are correct on it being a 32R. :thumbs:

The Lawn Ranger models were introduced late enough in 1962 that they appear to have all received the two piece (removable bottom) gas tank. I know my old 32E had the same tank and it was definitely original to the tractor.

Good "find"! :banghead:

rickv1957

Nice find there!!,Rick

TT

Sorry - missed the question about the spring under the steering wheel. :banghead:

It's not supposed to be there. :thumbs:

It's also nice to see the HT55 Lauson hasn't been tossed or shortblocked. Finding a hood will be easy compared to trying to find the original engine! (the hood is the same as the 502/552/702 models)

Gene_S

Thanks TT and Rick... I was pretty happy about the motor too... Them hard front tires are just crazy... Not real sure why some one would put that spring under the steering wheel TT... Doesn't help nothing...

Gene

sorekiwi

Nice score!

Gotta love those baby Rangers, and there's not many around with the round fenders.

whfan74

Good haul Gene! :thumbs:

Just another one I will have to take a look at the next time I get down your way!

Congrats on the find! :banghead:

Kelly

Nice looks to be mostly unmolested, even has the orig. choke cable, try to get it started yet?

I know where a early ranger is but it was in a garage fire and sat outside for years before I seen it :thumbs:

Rollerman

Lucky find Gene!, make it look good.

Cody

Very nice find :thumbs:

JimD

nice ranger! the deck looks to be in solid shape too!! :thumbs:

bitten

Nice find. Good luck with the hood. How much did the C195 go for?

Gene_S

Thanks guys...

I hope to get it into the garage today Kelly and get a good fire going and warm things up a bit and see if she will breath again... The deck does look pretty good Fan but the gear drive is pretty loose. Thanks for the link to the manual Mike... I'm going to try my best to get her all fixed up some time soon but the tri-cycle 753 needs finished first... If you don't come down Scott to see her you'll see her at Mentone I'm sure... The wife wants a pink tractor and at first she wanted this one pink but she has changed her mind and wants another 68 Lawn Ranger like her's to paint pink.

Have a great weekend all!!! :thumbs:

Gene

marvairplanes

but the tri-cycle 753 needs finished first...

Gene

Gene,

Interested in hearing more about this...

I need to paint the rims, need decals, and my 753 Tri-cycle is finished.

Marv (NW Oh)

Suburban 550

Nice find, Gene. :banghead: You shouldn't have much trouble findin' a hood. :thumbs:

sorekiwi

That one looks better than my '63 did when I got it.

You'll find it very similar to the 502/552/702's, off the top of my head I think the only unique parts are the rear wheels, hitch and front spindles.

Take care of those rear wheels - I've had a few emails come my way from people wondering if I had a spare set... Carlisle still lists those rear tires, and you can actually get ags in that size. I was tempted to go with the ags if I could find some tiny tri-ribs for the front (the '63 uses pneumatic fronts).

If you want to see one in a million bits, here's my thread:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...=3240&hl=ranger

and Michael (stonehenge) has one going to (another '63):

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...=6638&hl=ranger

Gene_S

Just an update on the little ranger... Got her in the garage this morning and got the wood burner going. Got all the snow and ice melted off of her. I pulled the fuel bowl and it was like new on the inside. I hooked up a make shift fuel supply and changed the plug. After pulling the rope untill my arm about fell off :thumbs: I put the old plug back in and she came to life... The motor run pretty well for how it looked. Now I just have to sit her aside and get the tri-cycle tractor done.

Thanks,

Gene

sorekiwi

Now I just have to sit her aside and get the tri-cycle tractor done.

Now, that'll be the hard part!!