clintonnut

Project: Bada** Puller!

clintonnut

Not much of an update but the old steering column was trashed so my dad went to the junkyard and got two columns for me. I rebuilt the one that was almost exactly the same, painted it black and have yet to get a heim sealed bearing for the top of the column. A little upgrade from the plastic bushing that it originally had.

No pics sorry,

Charlie

josh416

come on charlie get'r'dun so i can yank it backwards with my 416 or my 312 you pick i will be happy 2 link them up haha but nice job on the 953 B):party: :clap:

Don1977

We want to see some progress pictures. We know you'll have it looking good. B)

clintonnut

Hi Everyone,

Today I took advantage of the school's brand new tech department by being the first person to use the new lathe! I turned down the valve stems and ground down the bottom of the head for better flow. I also cut the seat to 30 degrees on the intake for better flow. This will result in a gain of 2-3hp with a standard head. I have an LP head which will increase the compression from 7.5 to 9:1. That will be a gain of at least 5hp! I will be getting my cam ground by Lakota (probably send out later this week) since they are the cheapest on cam grinds ($135). Here's the current engine parts list/mods:

Alcoa rod std size

Reground cam

Cut valves and int. seat changed to 30 degrees both valves lightened

10 O.S. piston

LP head 9:1 compression

K/N filter with velocity stack

30mm carb

Bosch blue coil with standard points (only choice for pulling class I'm in)

4000rpm setting

Block ported

Balance gears removed.

Wheelbearing is making me a SS exhaust stack!

I expect around 20hp with ???? torque. Lets just say better than stock torque.

I am buying Carlisle Tru Power tires for it in the 26x12-12 size on wide rims.

Smaller tranny pulley for faster 2nd gear pulls. 2nd gear is stronger than 3rd gear

Foot accelerator

Hand clutch

I'm not sure on fenders yet....

Charlie

rickv1957

Charlie,sounds like the makings of a stout engine! B) Rick

josh416

charlie,

for the fenders you should use the sears fenders they look cool and i found an alcoa rod from a mower shop down here im still trying 2 buy it B) :party:

KeithB

Hi Charlie, looking good so far.

with the engine so far back, how will you make the clutch work?

the 10 pinion will not cut it as you have heard

clintonnut

I was planning on using a backside idler pulley like on hydros.

I will use an 8 pinion B)

Charlie

josh416

Hi Charlie, looking good so far.

with the engine so far back, how will you make the clutch work?

the 10 pinion will not cut it as you have heard

when the engine is moved back all the way the only thing you really gotta do is get a shorter drive belt it wont effect the clutch at all cause that idea came from me lol its done on both of my 416s and the 312 cause when u pull the weight transfers to the rear and it really helps you out and in charlies case with 26's his tractor is gonna rip the sled B)

Olratlr

Looks like you have one in the making should do real good. :omg:

Roger from southern Iowa

Charlie, I've been sitting on the side watching this thread.

You're doing a lot careful planning and I have a feeling you will be very pleased with the

results of your labor.

Looking forward to seeing it finished and waiting for results. :omg:

clintonnut

Update:

Got an 8 pinion from stevebo.

I created it out of spare parts from him tearing apart 3 trannies for his 18 auto.

Thanks Steve

Charlie

Lawn Ranger kid

Great job! Keep up the great work! :omg:

Josh :D

stevebo

Charlie,

So when you win your first pull with that tractor remember fireman and me (especially when you are building those clintons) you can add a little extra touch and make those 4hp's 4.5 hp :omg:

That tractor has come a long way. Looking good.

clintonnut

WILL GET PICS SOON!

Current progress: Traded 314A with JOSH416 for a set of almost new 26x12 Tru Powers and a reground cam. Just need rims now. Once I have rims I can fab the weight box and sandblast the tractor and put some RED on it!

Probably going to hone block and sandblast and clean tranny this weekend.

Charlie

clintonnut

Did some work on the beast today. Sandblasted the trans and tore it apart, cleaned it up. Very nice shape. Just needs seals! Have an 8 pinion for it. Hope to sandblast the frame and prime the tranny with the frame, bolt them together and continue the build next week!

HPIM3154.jpg

Also here's the awesome tires from Josh416!!!!

HPIM3152.jpg

Charlie

josh416

them tires were bada** man hope u like em :omg:

rickv1957

Coming right along Charlie! :omg: ,Rick

clintonnut

Sandblasting the frame today prime soon.

THANK YOU Gerry W for the wheels. If any of you ever deal with Gerry he is a great honest guy. He definatley deserves a few laps around the fairgounds on friday night with this tractor. He hauled it and now he gave me a deal on a pair of D-series rims.

Bought a gasket set, tune up kit and carb kit for the engine. Just need crank bearings, rod and rings.

Charlie

Ken B

Hi,

If you don't know already, the 953 and 1054 have very heavy front ends. With a 45lb grille shell and a 120lb engine there is not much weight on the rear wheels. If you know anything about the Chrysler 1965 AF/X program, the goal was to get as much weight on the rear wheels as possible. The rear wheels were moved foward 8" and the fronts 10". It allows for better weight distribution. Also, a stock 953 has about 60-75% of the weight on the front tires. An AF/Xer has 48% on the front. This in both drag racing and pulling allows the rear tires to grip better and in drag racing allows you to get out of the hole easier.

Here is an example:

Stock/ .02% A990:

http://www.cars-on-line.com/slideshow34999...odge34999-1.jpg

Afx:

http://image.moparmusclemagazine.com/f/mis...-colonel-at.jpg

The result of moving weight to the rear:

http://gassermadness.com/handouts/****%20L...tana%201965.jpg

This tractor will be pretty light with the engine moved back and a fiberglass grille shell with a steel tube front axle. That takes about 65-70lbs off the front end.

I learned a lot about vintage racing from my dad who has a ton of vintage super stock mags, documentations and he has a 1965 Dodge Coronet that we are turning into a A990 race car.

Charlie

Looks awesome Charlie. I'm a big fan of the altered wheel base race cars of the 60's. (Sox and Martin fan here.) I'm impressed you know about them. Most people don't have a clue what they were, especially younguns. :omg:

clintonnut

Yea, my Dad and I are mopar nuts.

We have a 1965 Coronet A990 clone being restored so we have a ton of stuff for that car and some referance books on it. That car is going to have a D60 with 4.56 posi, Hemi 4spd box, and stroker wedge engine. We already have all of the parts for it except the fiberglass for body panels. Will be BB1 black with the Gold interior. My dad went to the ALL HEMI REUNION in 2008 and has video footage of that. Really motivates you.

:D

Anyways, Here is an update on the tractor. We sandblasted the block, honed it, double cut the valve seats (Intake 30 degrees), Ported it until the intake was the same size as the carb and smoothed the ports and smoothed the edges from the factory cutting the valve seats. Tomorrow we will lap the valves in. Josh provided me with a 16hp rod and magnum piston. Bought crank bearings and rings so I guess I am set! Also found a MSD Blaster 2 coil in the attic for it. :omg:

Here's pics:

HPIM3211.jpg

HPIM3213.jpg

Charlie

Roger from southern Iowa

Thanks for bringing back memories both of the A/FX times and the porting. I've spent a good number of hours reworking ports.

The tractor just keeps holding my interest more as time goes by. :omg:

VinsRJ

I have to give credit where credit is due... Charlie's statements in this thread is what gave me the thought of lifting the nose of my 60 Suburban Rat.

clintonnut

Started sandblasting the monster rims from Gerry.

Lapped valves in and will put it together tomorrow. Will prime and paint wheels and assemble tranny.

Charlie

bitten

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing this one done.

P.J.