Sign in to follow this  
rockbuilt

transmission help

rockbuilt

I was all ready for the snow with my C100 wheel weights, 42" plow, ag tires everything set and ready, the snow came and the transmission was FROZEN!!! :notworthy: I must have got condensation in the gear box I heated it up and was able to plow with no problems. but now I need to know the best way to get all of the condensation out. any suggestions?

pfrederi

Drain the oil while it is still warm from being worked. (That will hold some water in suspension with the oil). If the oil looks like chocolate milk you have alot of condensation...You might try flushing with some diesel fuel (you should run it around for just a few minutes (no load) with the diesel again it will get rid of some more water.

If you really have a lot of water you could dump in some acetone it mixes with the water and will drain it out DO NOT RUN IT with the acetone. Drain it completely (Overnight)and refill with gear oil.

Sparky

Yep. Drain it real good and refill with 80-90w oil. Make sure that the shifter boot is in good shape as water can run down the shifter and get into the tranny. Most TORO dealers have shifter boots in stock for less than $5 or buy one off E-bay for like $10 :notworthy: plus shipping.

Mike........

Daddy Don

I had this problem and drained the oil that took care of it. Also checked my tiller and found water in the oil also. If you have anything with a gear box it is best to check all of them by draining the oil and refilling. Oil is cheap gears are not.

gwgdog66

:thumbs: Well at least I'm not alone on this one :banghead:

I just had that happen to a 75 C-100. I was going to change the transmission oil a few weeks ago. The engine was giving me fits and I didn't run it around enough to get the trans warm enough to drain it.

I got the engine problems fixed. Then it turned arctic on me. I decided to get it done this past weekend, started up the engine let out on the clutch and the belt started smoking. I quickly killed it, thinking WTF is going on here! I pulled the dip stick, (busted a few knuckles when it let loose, cussed like a drunken sailor). The oil on the dipstick looked like a mocha slushy :WRS:

I ordered one of those magnetic mount engine block heaters. I replaced the dry rotted boot while I was at it. Once I get it thawed out I need to do the same thing.

rockbuilt

Thanks for the advice I will be taking care of this directly.

What I think happened is one horse is jealous of the other

I paid a lot of attention to the C-100 this year so I could start the restore on the C-120

I left the C-100 alone with plow attached for snow while I started work on the others and this is why she froze up on me

I now have to try harder to divide my attention more evenly to avoid the jealousy issue

hounddoghundzsa

I guess I'm not the only one that had this problem :thumbs:

G-PAs Toy

This sounds like the problem I am having. Can you guys move the shift lever to other gears. Went to plow the 6 inches of snow and mounting drifts after work tonight. The old Work Horse 700 started right up but is stuck in gear and won't move.

hounddoghundzsa

This sounds like the problem I am having. Can you guys move the shift lever to other gears. Went to plow the 6 inches of snow and mounting drifts after work tonight. The old Work Horse 700 started right up but is stuck in gear and won't move.

Yes and no. I left one of my tractors in gear and one in neutral. The one I left in neutral would let me go into a couple gears but not all. I pulled the fill and drain plugs and took a propane torch to the underbelly for about ten minutes until the water started dripping out of the bung hole pretty good. Once I could semi get it into gear I went back and forth in the garage for a little bit then took her out and snow blowed the driveway. I pulled the plug again and the water just poured out.

I would definantly suggest putting some k-1 or diesel in it to clean it out if you go through the trouble of thawing it out. I figured that by just leaving the drain plug out I'd be able to just put fresh oil in it the next day. To my disgust , it froze back up again :thumbs:

Tsc sells a shifter boot for a ford tractor that is real similar to the OEM WH part, I put them on a couple of my other horses that I've restored.