Sign in to follow this  
KB9LOR

8-Speed Tranny question.....

KB9LOR

I have a GT-1642 with an 8-Speed HI/LO, When in 3 hi I have a popping sound, and I believe it is a bad 3rd gear, (it does not do this in any other HI gear) how hard is it to find a new 3rd gear? and anyone have anyinsight on where to find a gasket for the case?

Thanks in Advance!

Polaris2007

You can find a new case gasket at partstree.com. Now would be a really good time to replace the 4 oil seals in the tranny too. they also can be found at partstree.com The third gear is used in both high AND low range. If it is bad, you should hear any strange noises in hi AND low range (I think). Can anyone else comment on this? I'm guessing that if it is the third gear, you will need to buy an old tranny to rob it out of, again, not sure about this though.

rmaynard

According to the parts list, 3rd and 2nd share the same gear. How is 2nd? May be the cluster gear.

62c5eb40.jpg

Red circle is 2nd/3rd

Green is cluster

Both are still available from Toro, but they are pricey. May be able to get whole trany used for less than cost of 2nd/3rd gear.

Bob

KB9LOR

Guys, did a check on the tranny, it is doing it in all gears in HI range only, though first gear is not as bad as 3rd and 2nd, so this is looking like a HI range gear problem, any of you ever swap out the Hi range gear? or is this possible?

Thanks,

KB9LOR

According to the parts list, 3rd and 2nd share the same gear. How is 2nd? May be the cluster gear.

62c5eb40.jpg

Red circle is 2nd/3rd

Green is cluster

Both are still available from Toro, but they are pricey. May be able to get whole trany used for less than cost of 2nd/3rd gear.

Bob

I do not have the model info on my GT-1642 workhorse, someone removed the plate, (so I do not know what type of tranny) what would the part number be on the 2n 3rd gears and the HI range gear?

rmaynard

The 2nd/3rd gear is 5173, cluster 7269. Don't know for sure what the high range gear is. I am only going by some info that I received about 5 years ago from a Toro dealer when I thought that I had a similar problem. The diagram for the trany can be found at Small Engine Parts Warehouse Online. The trany is the same for many models. My B-100 has the same trany, as do most other 8 speed units.

To use the SEPW online, click on he parts lookup. Then select Toro Consumer Equipment for the OEM selection drop-down. Click on the model tab in the top row of tabs and type in your model number. You will get a complete parts diagram of your transmission. OEM price on the cluster gear is about $175.00, so I would keep my eyes open for a good used trany.

While on the transmission page, find the part number for the trany and then enter it into the search box on the parts tab. You will then see how many other models use the same transmission.

Bob

KB9LOR

The 2nd/3rd gear is 5173, cluster 7269. Don't know for sure what the high range gear is. I am only going by some info that I received about 5 years ago from a Toro dealer when I thought that I had a similar problem. The diagram for the trany can be found at Small Engine Parts Warehouse Online. The trany is the same for many models. My B-100 has the same trany, as do most other 8 speed units.

To use the SEPW online, click on he parts lookup. Then select Toro Consumer Equipment for the OEM selection drop-down. Click on the model tab in the top row of tabs and type in your model number. You will get a complete parts diagram of your transmission. OEM price on the cluster gear is about $175.00, so I would keep my eyes open for a good used trany.

While on the transmission page, find the part number for the trany and then enter it into the search box on the parts tab. You will then see how many other models use the same transmission.

Bob

Thanks Bob going to head over to the site and do some snooping, and over to the wanted section to post, thanks a bunch for the info! I appreciate it VERY much!

bitten

You should have the 5086 8-speed trans. Your model # would be A1-164201 for a 82' and A1-164202 for 83'

KB9LOR

You should have the 5086 8-speed trans. Your model # would be A1-164201 for a 82' and A1-164202 for 83'

Thanks bitten, I got another tranny from a member here locally, and another hood for the GT-1642, now once I get her cleaned up and all painted it can go in and then I can tear down the other and maybe repair it.

Daddy Don

Did you get your starting problems fixed? Was it any of the safety switches?

KB9LOR

Did you get your starting problems fixed? Was it any of the safety switches?

Don, got the starting problem fixed, the PO said the starter was bad, all it needed was a new battery, then after fixing that, found that the HI range gear was shot, (would rather have had the starter bad) but being it was the tranny, I got another one from a member here, then upon tear down to replace tranny found the lower dash tower was trash,(where the fuel tank attaches to the dash tower was broker, both sides) so once again a member here got me a lower dash tower and hood from a 312 that I am in progress of swapping, thanks Jason :thumbs:

Daddy Don

Good luck. Send some pictures.

KB9LOR

Good luck. Send some pictures.

Sure will Don, I am going to be busy tomorrow, but new years day and saturday are reserved for the WH repair, I will be posting pics on the progress.