Sign in to follow this  
Greg B.

Vintage Rubber

Greg B.

I belong to several GT boards, but, this being my favorite, I thought I'd pester you guys. :thumbs: There seems to be a high value placed on original tires, for our tractors. I've noticed this in the green as well as the red tractors. Howcome? :thumbs: If it's going to be a display or trailer queen, I can understand it. However, if the critter is to be operated at all, I fail to see the logic. Some of this rubber is knocking on 50 - 60 years old. The simple fact that some of them can be persuaded to hold air is a testimony to the quality of American products, of the time.

Granted, we don't have access to a Coker Tire Co. to get reproductions, like the antique car crowd, but don't you reach a point where reality kicks in? I drive a 1969 Ford F100, Ranger. It's my daily driver and I wouldn't go back to bias ply tires for anything.

I didn't mean this to turn into a rant, I was just curious.

Greg B.

kj4kicks

Greg, I gotta agree with you. Original tires are nice for the shiney's... but have you ever tried to get ANY traction with 50 year old turf tires ?

But then again, my old 1077 still has the originals on it. The last few years that I have used it for mowing, it had rear chains, too...

Old tires will wear forever, because they get hard as a rock !

Kelly

I would not pay big money for orig. tires to put on a working tractor. but the price of a nice set of ag's will set you back a few bucks :thumbs: . But I might pay for them to put on a very nice restored tractor, but not a :imstupid: amount. I have a set of factory White walls for Wheel horse's and have had a few pretty good offers for them but wouldn't sell as I will never get another set, heck I've never seen any others. I guess like you said all in what your going to do with it.

T-Mo

Well, since I have no restored tractors, I would have to agree with the consensus here and with you, Greg. :thumbs:

perry

if it holds air ..i use it :thumbs:

Rollerman

Yep I think I'm going to side with Perry here.

I've heard stories of some guys paying through the nose for NOS original tires with the Wheel horse name on them.

And like Kelly has mentioned...his being very rare would be worth some bucks to the right person.

But I think for a worker if it holds air the weather checking just gives it more traction...on a shiney tractor I just use shoe polish to fill the cracks... :thumbs:

Mith

So where do I find these collectors who pay through the nose?

I have 2 sets of WH branded tyres, near mint with no cracks.

Turf tyres arent worth squat with the mud here, I have stacks of turf tyres that I cant use.

T-Mo

Mith,

I think they inhabit ebay. :thumbs:

kpinnc

Not sure what all the fuss over tires is anyway.

If you have an engine that runs 35+ years- GREAT! :thumbs:

If your tractor is 35+ years old, and still goes- GREAT! :thumbs:

Tires are "normal wear" items, IMHO. When they are dry rotted to death, put a tube in them. If you're making a show tractor, nothing adds "Umph" like new rubber, whether original or not. Since I'm certainly not paying stupid money for "original" tires, the new ones will be the least expensive I can find! :P

My L157 and 701 have the original Wheel Horse tires on them. They will all be replaced when I finally get to restoring those tractors. The rear tires on the 701 have holes in them large enough to reach your hand into. The L157 tires are dry rotted terribly, but hold air. They're gone too!

My $.02... :D

hoosier

I have come into ownership of a couple of tractors with WH tires. I replace them with what I want whenever finances allow. Means nothing to me. Of course, you guys have already seen my tractors are not show quality. Probably would'nt make any difference to me anyway.

On a side note. These really work well as steering tires in snow. Just look alittle odd.

16.jpg

Greg B.

:thumbs: Sorry guys. I didn't mean to start a riot! :thumbs:

Like some on here, if I owned a pristine 1965 GTO, I would be looking for some "Red Line" tires, but not to drive on. I have the utmost respect for those who are capable of 100 point restorations. I chased that dream, for awhile.....Right now, I'm saving for two sets of tires. One set of turfs (red) and one set of Ags (green), with tri ribs.

Honest, gang, it was just an innocent question :imstupid:

Greg B.

hoosier

Don't beat yourself up Greg. I don't see a riot. You wanted opinions. I see opinions. Perfectly perfect.

kpinnc

Sorry guys. I didn't mean to start a riot!

Holy cow Greg- Looks like I'm the rioteer. :thumbs:

Sorry about that, I've got to stop posting from work 15 minutes after getting off the phone with my ex... :thumbs:

No joke, that's exactly what happened. I apologize!

Kevin

BPjunk

Well now you can hear from the guy who pays throgh the nose for old original tires. I am a stickler for orignality, when restoring my Wheel Horses I use original equipment to keep the value of the tractor. My 1957 RJ-35 still has the original tires and inner tubes with brass nuts that hold the valve stems from 1957. It took me one month to soak down the tires with silicone enough to removed them from the rims with out damage. The 1045 out of New Jersey was purchased because it had all of it's original tires of which the 1045 was the only Wheel Horse model to use that type of Diamond tread front tire of that size. (the Lawn Ranger used the littler version)

I like the challenge of finding old parts, I have a NOS 6 x 12 AG tire with Wheel Horse written in the script logo on the side wall and I may look for a long time to find a close matching tire (close meaning in tread depth) but when I do my 1966 model 656 will really look sharp plus I will pay what ever it takes to get the tire when I find one.

Do all of my Wheel Horses have factory equipt tires on them .... NOPE! Some of my working girls have what ever tires holds air .... or will stay up long enough to get the job done after being filled up! The 1267 has a set of NOS Firestone 23 degree AG tires, these tires sat on a tire dealers shelf for who knows how long AND now as hard as a rock. These Firestones are so hard ....... they will break up concreate under a hard pull!!!!! Well :thumbs: ... you get the picture. :thumbs:

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Buzz

Bill, I seem to recall a story about you drilling out a valve stem core to be able to use the original tube :thumbs: And say if you want to keep it original, I've got a few cans of air from 1958 I'd be willing to sell if the price is right.... :thumbs:

BPjunk

Bill, I seem to recall a story about you drilling out a valve stem core to be able to use the original tube :D And say if you want to keep it original, I've got a few cans of air from 1958 I'd be willing to sell if the price is right.... :thumbs:

Buzz,

Are you following me tonight or am i just in front of you? :thumbs::D (I saw your post in MTF.com)

Oh Ummmm yeah I did kinda drill out a broken valve stem core ..... and but well that was not for a restoration ... it was done because I was too cheap to buy a new tube! :D:P:D:P:P

Uh now on this 1958 air deal hummmm now lets see just what did you have to eat back in 1958 that is still giving you this FREE AIR ...... I usally call it FREE GAS! :D:D

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Buzz

Are you following me tonight or am i just in front of you?

Uh now on this 1958 air deal hummmm now lets see just what did you have to eat back in 1958 that is still giving you this FREE AIR ...... I usally call it FREE GAS!

Bill in Richmond, Va.

If you can smell that "fresh" air, you're definetly following me. :thumbs: In 1958 I was 16 and as a growing teenager I was eating anything and everything.......

Now go back to Yahoo's main group, a guys has a question about a 754