perry

confession of a wheel horse owner

KyBlue

I think my 36" RD deck did a really good job, considering how tall my grass was (first cut this year)

IMG_4861.jpg

IMG_4864.jpg

One pass, and needing new blades, Im very impressed! It did a great job in the front too! Thou, I spent more time turning and backing up than I did going fwd (REALLY smallyard)

nylyon

fixed.gif

Clickless pictures

KyBlue

Thanks! Whatd I screw up? I got the msg that the IMG tag wasnt allowed??

nylyon

That's odd to get that message, the IMG tag is the way to post the pictures. :whistle:

KyBlue

Oh well. I'll try it again next time!

nylyon

This is what the post should have looked like..

I think my 36" RD deck did a really good job, considering how tall my grass was (first cut this year) 

[img=http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh287/4StarCstms/76%20WH%20B-80/IMG_4861.jpg]

[img=http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh287/4StarCstms/76%20WH%20B-80/IMG_4864.jpg]

One pass, and needing new blades, Im very impressed! It did a great job in the front too! Thou, I spent more time turning and backing up than I did going fwd (REALLY smallyard)

perry

if i can find a engine i would like to start mowing around the house area with this little guy :banghead:

my 1964 lawn ranger.

nutroaster007.jpg

nutroaster010.jpg

Raider12

Perry, I'm guessing thats a Simplicity/AC unit that mowed that.

Well I reluctantly have to admit, that the Simplicity's in my opinon do have the best cutting machine I have ever mowed with. I do love my WH's and they cut mighty fine as well. But if I were cutting grass to suit the Queen I would rather have a Simplicity. (I no longer own one, all WH's in my barn)

Denver

perry

[qoute] simplicity/ac....

i get torn between these 2 brands :omg: so i just started collecting both the orange and red. both brands have certain models that i prefere :USA:. they all have their goods and bads about them. but you just cant beat a good'ol wheel horse for a great quality basic and easy design tractor to work on. :banghead:

Raider12

[qoute] but you just cant beat a good'ol wheel horse for a great quality basic and easy design tractor to work on. :banghead:

You are right about that. I love my WH and hope to add to my collection in the future. I would give up any of my horses.

HorseFixer

I can't comment on this because I too live in the city and have a 150 X100 lot so I too use a Toro Super Recycler like Doc. Years ago I used a Simplicity and that mowed good when I had a house on Scott lake in Bangor, Mich. Years before that I mowed some ole widow ladies lawn and thats what made me take a likin to the WH brand so much. I just havent had alot of recent side by side testin experience to say.... :banghead:

Since I have so many I suppose If I had a large lawn I would use my "Wheel Horse Of Course" :USA:

Duke

CasualObserver

It's fun to see this topic be brought back to the top....

I'm about done mowing for the year here in MN... I had my Raider 9 out last night running all over dethatching the lawn, plan to rake it all over the next two nights and haul all the crap to the local tranfer station saturday morning before core-aerating and overseeding/fertilizing.

I'm really looking forward to next year when I plan to try out my new-to-me R-26 rear engine rider. It will take a little longer to cut than what I currently use, but hey... it's not like I'm going to mind a little extra seat time! And the best part... it fits inside the four wheeled wagon!

7-22-08061.jpg

7-22-08058.jpg

7-22-08059.jpg

7-22-08060.jpg

T-Mo

Jason,

I spy 2 John Deeres tractors in those pictures. It looks like the patio had the gear shift replaced at one time?

pond195520032003

nice 4 wheel wagon Jason :USA: this is a bit :banghead: , but Jason what is the 40's or 50's blue & white truck :omg: you use it :thumbs:

CasualObserver

:banghead: T-MO I wondered who'd be the first to comment on them... their actually both patios... the green one is one of the "repainted green cause nobody really wanted to buy a white JD" ones. but under the green and yellow... it's white. They belong to my BIL... he's got all four colors now. I finally found him a pair of yellow ones up here in Minneapolis this past spring. You might also notice the Gravely 816 Hydro there... it's a nice monster of a tractor. Runs a 48 inch two stage blower... and man that thing chugs some snow!

And Greg... thanks, those wagons are great... everyone should get one! That's a 46 Chevy boom truck. It's from a family farm out in Kansas. It's got a big 2 1/2 - 3 inch iron pipe a-frame and hoist on the back. I think it was for setting oil derricks or something.

backtotopic.gif

combatmp29r

So Jason is that your first vert WH??? Welcome to the dark side of the horse. :USA::omg: i've always liked the patios too. i wasn't too fond of the pink one that was #5 in a set on display at the Tipton show. For some reason I don't remember the pink 110 patio version :banghead:

Sparky

Great pic Dan :banghead: .

Mike..........

jusjeepn

I have owned/operated a small engine repair shop for about 15 years now and before that my dad owned/operated this same business for 40 years. I have seen, driven, rode, mow'n with and thrown away so many different mowers and tractors that I have lost count. One really stands out in my mind for cut quality and that was my 67 J/D round fender with 47",s/d, brass tag deck. I found that deck leveling, blade balance and sharpness are really key. This past weekend I installed a new set of blades on the ole 520H and found even W/H dealer bought items are not perfect. The cut of my 520H went from bad to worse. I removed the blades and balanced them (considerably) and now my cut is as good as the old 67 J/D. Even though the blades were new($50 worth), they were out of balance. No vibrations, no funny noises just a bad cut.

044.jpg

GO RED OR GO HOME!!!

004.jpg

wh500special

Jason,

I spy 2 John Deeres tractors in those pictures.

CasualObserver

Steve... not the 210... but there were a few 120 Patios, and yes, there was a full line of white attachments to go with them as you mentioned, but also including tillers, snowblowers and even a little trailing sprayer. ( I use plural terms for the tillers and snowblowers because there were different models for the 120 and 140 tractors) and you are right about snagging any textured seat pans you see... they've been bringing big bucks on ebay.gif lately.

Once again, backtotopic.gif

So Jason is that your first vert WH???

T-Mo

Steve,

Models included in the patio series were 110, 112, 120 and 140. The 210 came later in 1975, so it wasn't part of the patio series.

Some patio tractors, as it's been mentioned, have been painted green by the dealers so they could be sold. So if anyone that runs across a JD that has white paint underneath the green, it was a patio and is also collectible. :USA:

Now, let's go back on topic. :banghead:

Teddy da Bear

I do have an odd confession. This post really made me think.

I have never ridden another tractor with a mower deck that wasn't a wheel horse!

My God I have been spoiled!

I have ridden one other tractor....my cub lo boy.....but it does not have a mower deck.

Duff

I have never ridden another tractor with a mower deck that wasn't a wheel horse!

My God I have been spoiled!

Nope - BLESSED!!! :USA:

Duff :banghead:

HorseFixer

And Jason I Spy A 4 Wheel Wagon <_< That Would Look Damn Good In The "DUKE O MINIUM" WH Stable :omg::banghead: If Joel Ever Gets Off His Can My Grand Daughters Reo May Get its Needed Parts :USA:

Cheers Duke

CasualObserver

Now Duke.... what's that right there? (this image courtesy of Wolverine Synthetics! :USA: )

HORSESINSTABLEMedium.jpg

If that's not a REAL Wheel Horse 4-Wheeled Wagon, then I'll put you on the list, but I have to warn you, I only seem to find them about every 3-4 years, and you're 4th on the list.... so check with me in about 2020!!! :banghead: