perry

confession of a wheel horse owner

Rod(NASNUT)

:thumbs: I use my C-105 to do all my mowing here

Attached Image

post-3-1204042758.jpg

refracman

My first WH was a C120 H with a 42SD and i would have to say it did mow pertty crappy, but then the deck was original and had mowed 3 acres for 20yrs and the deck still was the original one, after some weldin, straightin and adjustin it it didnt mow to bad, but the 417 with a 48SD mows great and the 195 with that 60" monster on it surprisingly mows really good too,but the C120 8 has a 42SD on it and i think it mows the best of them.

To say the least my yard is not flat so my opinion of a good cut could vary from yours , as long as it dont "streak" and gets the job done I be a happy camper

TT

After spending the last 17 years on this little corner in the middle of PA, I would have to say a Wheel Horse has done the mowing chore the best out of all the tractors I've owned/used. My lawn consists of green vegetation -- and not all of it is actual grass. As long as it looks good when the mower crosses it, and there's no bare spots, that's what matters to me.

The current "designated" mowing tractor is my 1990 416H with a 1976 48" SD deck, but it gets a break sometimes -- whenever I have an off-brand "fixer-upper" here, or I dig one of the "old" tractors out.

I guess the two best cutting Wheel Horses I owned were a GT-1142 with a 42" SD deck, and a YT12A with a 42" RD deck. It was probably because they weren't very old and nothing was bent, twisted, or worn out yet! :D

I definitely like an automatic tractor because of all the obstacles here, and the ability to exactly match ground speed with terrain/grass height is unmatchable. :thumbs:

I'm thinking about a set of "super-tuned" reel mowers for when I get the "Wicked Wheel Horse" built. I've never attempted to mow grass at 25 mph before, but the thought of it intrigues me. :P :thumbs:

Greg B.

I've got about 1.5 acres just as TT described. I mow this with my C-165 and a 48"sd. At the end of last season, I was having an issue with hippo tracks. I think I've got that fixed. I'll let you know how it works, next season.... About the middle of next week, around here!

Greg B.

kpinnc

As long as it looks good when the mower crosses it, and there's no bare spots, that's what matters to me.

In my back yard Terry, I'd have to agree. If it's all the same color when cut to the same length, I can live with it. :thumbs:

Kevin

Stigian

I have been cutting my grass with my 312-8 with the Raiders 36" cutting deck on.

It cuts well and leaves a nice finish :thumbs: Sorry no photos though.

A though has just struck me though, with the 4x4 conversion on the 312-8 the cutting deck wont fit :P ..

HHmmm id better sort the Raider engine asap so i can cut grass with the instead.

Did someone mention my old Webb somewhere in this thread earlier?

As piloted by Pete who cant resist a play :thumbs::D

Webb10.jpg

Rollerman

is it just me or does "Pete" remind anyone of Bill from the Red Green show?.....Perry??

T-Mo

:thumbs: But, he reminds me of Denver Pyle, aka Uncle Jessie of the Dukes of Hazards. :thumbs:

Nick

I started out mowing on a home built Wheel horse that Dad had made from a junkyard found WH 4 speed and some other Wheel Horse parts. Luckily he worked in a large grocery warehouse that at the time used what I think was a Workhorse 700 to move carts around inside the building. They didnt need the deck that came with it so it was still new when we got the deck. We used this tractor to mow 4 to maybe 6 acres a week with just the 32 or 36" gear drive rd deck.

From there things went down hill. We mowed my Grandfathers yard and he thought we needed a "better" mower so he found a used Montomery Wards 11hp 42" deck mower. By the time we finished mowing for many years with this tractor the only original part was the engine, frame and maybe the seat. :P The hood was also gone to make room for some used parts modifications. I will say that Briggs engine still ran the day we hauled it off. Most often at the end we didnt change the oil just add oil that had been changed out of the truck or car. We even took a last drive with the governer wired wide open and it still didnt stop.

In 1990 I purchased a Toro Wheel Horse 616-Z to do some mowing jobs and to mow at home. This was the first smaller homeowner Zero turn that Toro came out with. I ahd the 38" bagging deck that did a very good job mowing and bagging. 38" sounds small but that little mower would outrun a 48" deck tractor and maybe give the 60" a run in the right conditions. 16hp on a 38" deck can throw some grass. :P I also didnt have the front weight kit so when the bagger was full I would pull the front end up and bounce across a lawn. Cant find my picture of it right now.

I guess the first real Wheel Horse tractor I used was my brothers C-175. I still just like something about that tractor even thought the plastic fenders and long hood turn some people off. It did a good mowing job with a 48" deck and the Kohler KT-17 ran fine when it was sent in on trade for a new 520-H.

I used the 520-H and 60" deck to mow the village park and the ah.... sewage plant lot (lets just say if I had lost my hat in the wind I wasnt going in that pond to get it). In my opinion this deck does give the best quality cut of any WH deck(I never used the 37 high vac so cant compare on that one). The only down side I ever had was in tall, wet spring grass it would plug up. I understand there are remedies for this that can help the problem though. As mentioned by someone else the big deck doesnt like hills so that could be another problem for some people.

After borrowing the 520-H to get started I found a 724-Z with a 50" deck. These did a good job at the time but the newer Toro decks do have a better quality cut. But again with 24hp on a 50 deck that thing could make hay. :thumbs: The same 60" deck design was also used on the 724-Z from the 520-H. From what has been said on the Yahoo group I think this was a Ariens deck but I have never seen anything solid on that. There were a few other models but the 724 was the first Zero turn sold by Wheel Horse. I think in pamphlets it was listed under commercial next to the 520-HC. It was replaced by the direct drive 222 but shortly after that Toro purchased Exmark for their zero turn design. The power units are the same but Toro uses there own deck design.

In 1995 my brother and I got the first Steiner. We have had 4 or 5 since but sold them all. They had 60" and 72" decks. All but the older decks have full steel rollers on the back for nice a nice stripe job. These are great all around tractors. They dont have the brute force of a diesel compact but it is one of the few tractors that can go straight from the golf course greens to the back field moving manure with a loader. We also had the stump grinder attachment for a while have to say that was fun.

Throw in a Cub 154 60" deck (no power) and some other odd balls over the years. :P

All in all the big problem I see with cut quality is most all of us try to cut to much at one time. Some tractors can handle tall grass better than others but any tractor can do a better mowing job if the grass is just mowed more often. I think the old rule is not to mow more than 1/3 of the grass blade at one time.

Ok my fingers are warm now I can go play some more in the little snow we do have. :D Never seen me type that much have ya. :D:thumbs:

Nick in Ohio

Forgot to mention i mow the tiny lawn now with an 857 and 36 deck. Does a nice job and doesnt throw anything at the neighbors.

The middle pictures were mowed with a Steiner.

th_homebuilt.jpgth_grass005.jpgth_grass002.jpgth_520w60.jpg

T-Mo

Nick,

That fourth photo of what I guess is the 520-H would be a good addition to next years calendar. Please, if you have a high resolution picture of it, consider sending it to me when I start asking for some photos, which should be around August. :thumbs:

Stigian

is it just me or does "Pete" remind anyone of Bill from the Red Green show?.....Perry??

But, he reminds me of Denver Pyle, aka Uncle Jessie of the Dukes of Hazards.

I have to be careful here as i know Pete (Hello Pete :D ) reads this fine forum once in a while, but i think Uncle Albert from Only fools and horses :thumbs::thumbs: :P

Rollerman

Ian I don't want to upset any one...just haveing fun.

Are you familiar with the Red/Green show over there?

Hope that Pete sign's on as a member too! :thumbs:

Mith

I've sat a watched Red Green on youtube, very funny stuff.

Now you've got me thinking about it, I'm off to watch another couple episodes :thumbs:

Stigian

Ian I don't want to upset any one...just haveing fun.

Are you familiar with the Red/Green show over there?

Hope that Pete sign's on as a member too! :thumbs:

Pete's cool, he has a warped sense of humor, must have as he drop in here a lot to see what im building :P

Just watched a bit of redGreen on youtube, very funny i like the cheap 4x4x4 vid :D:D

Im not sure Pete will sign on, but i expect he will be making guest apperances in a few photos and vids :thumbs:

TT

As a way to revive this thread, (I almost needed a GPS to help find it again! :whistle: ) I took a few pictures of the fresh cut green stuff yesterday. (I won't say grass, because it isn't ALL grass -- if it's green & grows, it gets mowed. :D ) It's still a little rough from winter hibernation yet, but it's getting better.

Anyhow..... here's what my "old" 1976 48" SD deck does while hanging under the 416. :WRS:

042908030.jpg

Not terrible for a $15 deck, is it? :D

T-Mo

TT,

Nice place. For $15 that deck did an excellent job. In fact, for any price range, that did an excellent job. :whistle:

nwh1-0475

Some of those lawns look great. What kind of blades to you guys run under your decks. What would you recommend for a 36" RD. Mine left stipes all summer last year.

Thanks.

Stigian

Nice cut TT :whistle:

TT

Some of those lawns look great. What kind of blades to you guys run under your decks. What would you recommend for a 36" RD. Mine left stipes all summer last year.

Thanks.

Mine actually has OEM blades that haven't even been sharpened yet this season!

(I usually like to mow at least twice before I put a good edge on the blades -- that way all of the stones and high spots from the winter plowing duties are are leveled up or thrown out of the yard. :WRS: )

You don't need any type of fancy blade to do a nice job. The twist on the back side of the blade can be increased slightly to provide additional vacuum to help pull and hold the grass up to be cut. If the tips of the blades are rounded back from sharpening - especially on a two blade deck - it will skip. (or Mowhawk, as I call it.) Turning too sharp will also leave streaks.

I like to take my time and go as slow as possible while mowing. These are not high-suction decks and aren't designed for "full speed ahead" mowing. Slower travel speeds also keep the deck from bouncing, resulting in a horrible looking washboard effect. (It's also a good time for me to forget about all of the annoying crap in life and focus on driving a Wheel Horse! :whistle: )

CasualObserver

(It's also a good time for me to forget about all of the annoying crap in life and focus on driving a Wheel Horse! :WRS: )

TT that reminds me of a neighbor I used to have.... Big old "butt-insky" type of guy. We bought the house from him, and he moved across the street to the other house he owned. I had finished mowing one day with my Commando 8... and he walks over and says..."you know.. you'd get done faster if you mowed up a gear." I just politely reminded him that I was using a vintage mower that I preferred to take care of... and besides... some people just enjoy being out on their tractors. When you have a lot in town... you don't get much time in the seat as it is... why not make the most of it! :D

I've often found great therapy in the sound of mower blades. :whistle:

Edit:

I forgot my point in the first place... I get a windrow effect with a rear discharge deck, but what kind of "stripes" are you talking about? Like your deck is uneven? or just heavy lines of grass clippings?

DMESS

Good topic! I must admit that most times these days I'm caught mowing with my Lawn Boy Insight series more often than with a Horse. My lot is probably a 1/4 acre tops. Subtract the house and drive and that leaves a small enough lawn that I can walk it with little trouble. I do break out the 310-8/37"SD/Easy Twin on occasion when I'm feeling "lazy". This is the pefect combo for my lawn and I feel it is the best cutting Wheel Horse deck that I've used with exception to (don't laugh) my fathers 108-5. Yes those single blade 30" rear engine riders cut like a dream. hands down the most "groomed" Wheel Horse cut that I have seen. Both of these decks benefit from what appear to be better airflow designs than the traditional 36/42/48 decks that have been the staple for ages. The 30" single blade deck even has plates around the bottom to increase the vacuum effect. It seems that cut quality was pretty high on the list when you look at the design of this particular setup. The 30" is supported by the rider and offers higher cut capability also. (Big problem with the traditional decks, more on that later)

As far as the more traditional decks I've used most all of them. Gear drive twin blade RD and SD, (ask me about that one!), 3 blade 36" rear and side (don't see the 3 blade 36" side that often), 42" SD, 42"SD on front carrier (you DO get higher cut with this by the way if you don't mind a mower that's VERY unmanuverable), 48" SD, 60" C-195 (Airens stamping by the way that DOES cut pretty darn good), RM-425 etc.

Most of the traditional style decks will all give about the same quality of cut when set up properly and I've never found any of them to be overly unsatisfactory. The two biggest issues I've felt that most WH decks suffer from is lack of vacuum and too low of cut. I've always cut in the highest position with any WH deck and never felt that it was quite high enough to get that thick, carpet cut that I can get with a decent high vac walking mower. Maybe it's personal preference, but a higher range of cut mixed with better airflow/vacuum would improve these decks. The best ones I've found seem to have these traits. I'm no engineer, but I'm sure there is some technical hypothesis regarding spindle height to deck side height that could be mulled over for hours to improve the cut height on these decks. I guess the airflow/vacuum issue could be pondered upon this way also! Where is Steve when I need him!

As mentioned, proper setup (no double cut), sharp blades and reasonable ground speed go a long way towards a better cut with these machines. They'll never cut like a Simplicity, but they certainly do a decent enough job. :whistle:

bowtieguy

Hey...if ya want to Get-r-done in a hurry, you've got to see the WH tractor set up by Mr. Wheelhorse of MO....that would be Ron in Adrain MO

He drives a big ole D series with a 60" deck and pulls TWO Wheel Horses with 48" decks behind it on a custom made A frame....one "round trip" and he leave a big ole 24 FOOT swath...and if you go to the tractor show in Adrain MO in June you can check out this set up....cuttin' the grass at the park in rapid time allows him to enjoy more time with the scale railroad stuff.

I use all WH stuff to mow my grass....you gets lots of looks mowing your yard with a Lawn Ranger when you are 6'2" and 220....but none of the neighbors complain when I mow their yard or push snow off their driveway....

The rear discharge is hard to beat, but I would have to say I like to mow with the GT-14 best...easy ride with the big ole rear tires and it steers like it has power steering.....with a 48" deck and hydro lift, it is fun to operate....but the 417-A's are also fun because you can mow alot faster.

To make the front yard look "groomed", I mow from street to front of house with a RD deck on a B-82....but don't turn around, just back down to the street and it leaves a nice stripe....

Yep, if you have never mowed with a WH, you've missed part of the fun of the hobby...kinda like them guys with "trailer queens"....they haul their 34 Ford to all the shows but never DRIVE EM.....if ya got a Horse , ya gotta ride em'....Wheel Horse of Course. :whistle:

Rollerman

Man I'm really loseing my momentum here at Red Square...but might as well jump in with a post..... :WRS:

I have to say my lot is possible smaller than Dustin's even.

My neighbors yard is slightly larger & he mows with a push type real mower...but he's odd anyway? :whistle:

As of last year I was mowing with a 520 W/48" deck....did I need it...no...but I enjoyed it....& I did most the block cause I enjoyed it.

Well the 520 is past tense now....it's in "Chevelletown" now after a little service in MI.

But now I use a 312A with what ever deck I fel like trying out that week.... :D

Lately been thinking about running a 32" gearbox deck on a 704 just for fun.

As an added plus that combo would get to more places & cut back on the dreaded weed eating.

Sparky

I fixed up a 42" SD this winter so thats gonne be my first choice once the grass needs a cut.

I have a 42"RD but it leaves a row of clippings so I wasnt to happy with it. I think its supposed to have baffles under it but it doesnt. My 36"RD is great but kinda small for a big yard so I let my son mow with it.

Mike............

DOC in Kentucky

I cut 2 acres with a 38" Toro Recycler deck. I can't tell you how many times people hve stopped in the street or neighbors have commented on our great looking lawn. My trick is, only four cuts and sharpen the blades. I cut in 4 different directions so each time right to left, up and down or 2 different 45 degree angles. The neighbors think I am nuts but yet always comment on the cut and look of the grass. I also think ground speed and dryness of the grass are very important. My 2 cents worth :WRS: :whistle: