wheelhorsepuller

Wheelhorse Racer

TT

GOOD LUCK, Jason ! ! ! ! ! :whistle:

(Don't forget the video. :WRS: )

combatmp29r

Good luck Jason keep us up to date on the results

Rollerman

Jason don't keep us in suspense....how did you do on race day?

Pics, vids,....hopefully with a checkered flag too. :whistle:

wheelhorsepuller

In the hot laps I was as quick as the people who eventually won the race...

Then the belt stared slipping....

So my times dropped off a ton...

This week I'm putting on a Noram star centrifugal clutch and chain drive to the tranny...

I'm through with the foot clutch.. I have been fighting it for weeks.. and I'm don with it..

I should have it ready for the next race coming up this Sat in McGregor Ont...

Rollerman

Jason thanks for the link...some neat stuff there for sure.

Perhaps if you mounted one of there "Gatling Gun" kits to your hood you would not neet the Noram Star clutch & chain drive? :whistle:

wheelhorsepuller

I might be a conservative, redneck, pickup truck driving fella... but the Gatlin gun goes WAY beyond my needs... LOL

wheelhorsepuller

Well .. I ordered up the clutch.. it should be here on Thursday... I hope this is the last of the problems....

wheelhorsepuller

Well... I made my first podium finish with a 2nd in the feature today... :whistle:

I'll post a link to the video in a bit...

Buzz

Well... I made my first podium finish with a 2nd in the feature today... :D

:whistle::D:WRS::D:D:D:D:) :dunno:

rustbucket

congrats on the podium and 2nd youll be bringing in more trouphies soon i belive. heres rooting for the WH racer.

wheelhorsepuller

Thank you all very much..

.....and my tractor will be featured in the newspaper next week to support the club... so I'll post some pics from that too...

wheelhorsepuller

He is a link to the video to the supermod feature that I got 2nd.. I was way behind because I just couldn't get to the gas early enough because the venue didn't prep us a track so we ran on the grass.. and it was so bumpy the float would move and close off the carb...down the straightaway..

Two guys broke during the race.. and in another class he broke the spindle right off on the bumps...

kj4kicks

Congrats Jason !

:whistle:

rustbucket

:whistle: :WRS::D:D:dunno::D:D:D :)

Rollerman

Jason looks like you are finally getting to enjoy the rewards of your build!

Thats a neat vid & those suckers really move. :WRS:

Just curious do you have any mods planed to help the float problem?

Keep the pics & posts comeing. :whistle:

wheelhorsepuller

I'm going to move the rear axle back and up to lower the back, then I will work on a better header and maybe a carb spacer to help the bottom end..

With my body weight back so far it's like a teeter totter effect on the bumps.. I'm making the front come up... so I'm gonna put my butt ahead of the rear axle and that should help a ton...

I'll post a pic when I get going on it...

I hope keeping the front end on the ground should help the bouncing float in the carb..

I had to run only 7 lbs in the front tires so they wouldn't bounce like a basket ball.. :whistle:

Curmudgeon

LOL, I seem to recall someone mentioning getting the rear down way back early in this thread.... :whistle:

wheelhorsepuller

The problem was.. when I started this build.. the class I was building for states that the axle must be under the chassis... the class I'm in now allows the chassis to be modified to allow the rear to be lower...

The decision to change classes was done well after the build had started...and the axel was already in place...

rustbucket

i would put tubes in the tires cause watching the race it looked like one of your competitors blew out a tire. tubes are a wonderfull thingand keep that from happening if the side bead should some how become dislodged.

Curmudgeon

The problem was.. when I started this build.. the class I was building for states that the axle must be under the chassis... the class I'm in now allows the chassis to be modified to allow the rear to be lower...

The decision to change classes was done well after the build had started...and the axel was already in place...

Ah... those little things that happen along the way. I'm surprised they even allow the changing of the wheelbase, I've never seen it allowed in any class I've read the rules on short of FX.

VIVA la different clubs!

Buzz

Jason, I was reading your earlier posts and saw you were having trouble with your feet coming off the gas pedal when you hit bumps. A few years ago a guy from NJ named Kenton used to bring to the Wheel horse Show his fleet of racers including one called "Locomotion".

Kenton used hand throttle controls using a motorcycle clutch lever attached to the steering wheel. I don't remember how the cable was routed so it didn't get tangled. Said it worked really well. His reasoning for the hand throttle was that if your foot came off the gas pedal you could lose the race :D , but if your hands came off the steering wheel, losing the race was the least of your promlems :D ...................

I took it for a test ride in the field beside the restrooms and it was awesome. Bill Pearson took his test ride out on highway 234 :WRS: making several high speed passes by the fairgrounds. Shame on you Bill, shame shame shame. :whistle:

Curmudgeon

The vast majority use the hand throttle on the steering wheel for that very reason. Most also use direct steering so the steering wheel doesn't turn far enough for routing to be an issue.

wheelhorsepuller

I'm not a fan of hand throttles... I'll just keep working on the set-up I have..

Well.... the racer is lower and longer..

I lowered it 2 inches in the rear, and added 3 inches of wheelbase... and I moved the seat 2 inches ahead.. now my butt is right over the axle instead of behind it...

This is how it looks now...

th_DSCF0057-2-1-1.jpg

th_DSCF0056-2-1.jpg

wheelhorsepuller

I got my new steering wheel mounted..

th_DSCF0065-3.jpg

th_DSCF0064-4.jpg

wheelhorsepuller

Built a new header for it...

th_DSCF0066-3.jpg