Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorsepuller

Wheelhorse Racer

Greg B.

Jason,

On a dirt track, the cushion I refer to is that ridge of loose dirt that builds up on the outside of the curves. Back in the day, sprint car drivers could ride that ridge to get through the corner faster. Same principal as the Darlington stripe, in NASCAR, only with the tires instead of the body work.

Greg B.

wheelhorsepuller

got ya now.. I have no idea how this tractor is gonna run... I tend to like the cushion or the widest line so I'm out of the gas a lot less... I have built in quite a bit of adjustablility into the tractor for wedge setting and chamber adjustments.. so it should turn well..

I'll find out in a few weeks where it will need to run to be fast..I hope with the backed track I can stay in the gas a lot.. most of the other racers in my class run tension cltuches and they have to lift and push in the clutch in the corners or they will bog..they tend to hug the inside of the turn... with my centrifugal clutch I hope to drive in deeper and set the tractor up loose enough to power around the outside..

Instead of the Darlington Stripe I would get a mouth of hay from the bails... :thumbs:

I intend of staying on all four and triping to keep off of other peoples tractors.. this is a learned year...:thumbs:

wheelhorsepuller

I finally got the brakes finished.. They work REALLY good.. I replaced all the fasteners with grade 8 bolts, and adjusted the pads... I just have to install the return spring..

I also got the mount for the gas tank started.. there will be straps coming down over the tank to holes in the bottom plate to secure the tank..

The headers are next and I'm not looking forward to that part...

th_DSCF0071.jpg

th_DSCF0072-2.jpg

th_DSCF0073.jpg

th_DSCF0074.jpg

wheelhorsepuller

I got the exhaust done..

th_DSCF0077.jpg

illinilefttackle

:thumbs: Jason-What keeps you from flying out of the seat when you hit a bump or another racer? Do you have full point seat belts? What if the thing turns over ? Your a nice Guy, I would hate to lose you! Any roll bars? -AL :thumbs:

wheelhorsepuller

Actually if it flips you are supposed to be thrown away from the crash.. much like a go cart racer... roll bars are not allowed

The seat I have hole me in very well.. it goes up to my neck, goes around my hips and down my leg a bit.. I wanted this because of my bad back..

The are few accidents in this sports.. and some racers run front, rear and side bars for protection.. I haven't go that far yet..

There will be small braces to support my feet from slipping off the running boards.. it will be about heel height..

We also have to wear full helmets, neck braces, boots that come up past our ankles, long sleeve shirts and full pants...

wheelhorsepuller

Well.. I got the 90 mounted and working.. now I just need a belt to see how well it works..The 90 is a from a mower deck from the early 1970's just modified to work as a tranny

Here are some pics..

th_DSCF0007-2.jpg

th_DSCF0008-2.jpg :thumbs:

wheelhorsepuller

Well... the tractor runs and goes like a scared ca... I just have to work a bit on slipping belt... but otherwise.. I'm ready to go...

I got upset trying to make a cable work on the throttle.. so I make a rod and pivot mechanism for the throttle... nothing to break..

I also swapped the better carb on... and it really cleaned up the idle and made the throttle response nice and crisp...

th_DSCF0009-2.jpg

th_DSCF0010-2.jpg

th_DSCF0011-1.jpg

th_DSCF0013-2.jpg

illinilefttackle

Jason- "Aw to be young again" You are doing fine work. But you couldn't pay me to get on that thing! Boy I bet the grounds goes by fast! Like my life before my eyes! Keep the pics coming-you know what would be neat-is a You-Tube video with sound-especially from looking at that exhaust pipe!-AL :thumbs:

Sparky

So any idea what top end is?

Guys just gotta know that type of stuff :thumbs: .

Mike...........

wheelhorsepuller

It is gear right now for a 200 foot straightaway and 100 foot turn..

I have a 7 to 1 final drive which should give me 40 mph at the end of the straightaway...

There is no saying how fast it would go with a 4 or 5 to one gear ratio...

I will try to come up with a video.. I was thinking about mounting my camcorder to the mowchine after I finish test in a few weeks...

I hope to make a nice equal length header pipe later in the season.. but boy does this Kohler have a ton of torque...

I'm glad I spent the extra time on the steering geometry as this thing corners VERY well...

wheelhorsepuller

I got the clutch and brake done.. and HOLY CRAP IS THIS THING FAST.. and really turns well... there is no reason why this shouldn't be a really competitive tractor....

So now I have to get some primer on this thing.. finish up the extra mounts for the seat.. and set-up the front end...

I'm ready for test and tune...

Here is the pics of my clutch brake set-up

th_DSCF0014-3.jpg

th_DSCF0015-3.jpg

wheelhorsepuller

Well.. I got more done on the mowchine..

I worked on some of the little things.. like chain guard, battery box, seat supports, throttle stop....

There is still more to do.. but 6 hours today with the odd stop got lots of little things done..

th_DSCF0020-2.jpg

th_DSCF0019-1.jpg

th_DSCF0018-1.jpg

th_DSCF0017-2.jpg

th_DSCF0016-2.jpg

wheelhorsepuller

I got a bit more done today... moved the number sign, finished my fiberglassing, put the guard on the chain, added the switch board...

Tonight I will get the chain tensioner on and start on the body work... and go for a spin...

th_DSCF0021-2.jpg

th_DSCF0022-3.jpg

th_DSCF0023-3.jpg

Rollerman

Jason it's looking mean! :whistle:

So am I seeing the pic right...you glassed the seat & fenders into 1 peice?

Can't wait to hear a finished drive report too. :WRS:

wheelhorsepuller

I had a real bad gap in there as I had to cut up a fender to make it work with the seat... so I fiberglassed over the gaps versus the HUGE time it would of been to cut metal to fit...

It is REALLY fast... it is geared for a 200 foot straightway.. and with the current 7.00 gear and 6000 rpm max rpm.. I should be able to hit 40 plus mph...

And boy does it turn well.. I'll get lots of pics...

wheelhorsepuller

Well.. still working on the small things... but I'm well on my way..

Since I was laying on the ground I thought I'd take a pic from underneath my mowchine

th_DSCF0033-1.jpg

wheelhorsepuller

Well. I think I'm ready for tech tomorrow... I spent 9 hours on this... I have spent 5 hours a day for two weeks to get this thing finished up.. so I hope I got everything..

I also got it in primer too...and set the front end up..

th_DSCF0035.jpg

th_DSCF0034.jpg

th_DSCF0036.jpg

th_DSCF0037.jpg

refracman

Jason that thing is lookin MEAN fast. Wish I lived by ya maybe talk ya into lettin me take it for a spin, :D:WRS: hmmm maybe worded that wrong. take it for a ride, ya thats it :whistle:

wheelhorsepuller

I hope it is as fast as it looks...

I drove it last weekend and it actually gave me the shakes.. and I have gone 130 mph in a drag car.. so I know I'm having fun...

It turns really well.. fully adjustable wedge, chamber... The 18 HP Kohler is a torque monster..

I hope to get a win with a Wheelhorse this year..

I will probably paint it Wheelhorse Grey and it will end up being a Workhorse...

The grey will go great with the sponsors colors...

I hated to have to fill in the louvers on the hood but I needed the entire area for the sponsors colors.... they paid for this build.

wheelhorsepuller

Well we got rained out at test and tune.. BUT.. I did get my tech sticker for the year... so that's a good thing.. :whistle:

But I really wanted seat time... :WRS:

wheelhorsepuller

I did some painting today..

(for anyone wondering.. the bottom of the front grill of a Wheelhorse is painted black and has chip guard stuff on it.. that will be tomorrow)

th_DSCF0038.jpg

th_DSCF0039.jpg

wheelhorsepuller

Got some more painting and some wiring done tonight...

th_DSCF0042-1.jpg

th_DSCF0041.jpg

th_DSCF0040.jpg

th_DSCF0043-1.jpg

wheelhorsepuller

All loaded up ready to go for the first race

Here's what it looks like now...

th_DSCF0045-1.jpg

th_DSCF0046.jpg

nylyon

When's the race? Good luck if it's today, may the "Horse" be with you!