Sign in to follow this  
Teee

very poor spark

Teee

I have a old 10hp.wheelhorse charger. It hasn't ran for about 2yrs. Trying to get it going. It has very little spark. This is a old solid state electronic ignition, with the 2 pins on the exterior of the flywheel,and the gray coil. The pins are clean, the coil pickup is clean,the back side of the coil where it bolts on the engine is clean for a good ground. But I still have little spark. (very weak). It does back fire through the carb once in a while, like its out of time. The flywheel key is good not worn. the ground wire is disconected at the present time. The 2 wires coming out of the rectifyer is also disconnected at this time. Do they have to be hooked up to the battery and switch to get good spark? How do you tell which wire goes to the batt.? I don't want to destroy this uint. Any help would be very much appreciated. This is my first time on this site, just found it last night. I have 3 other wheelhorse so I probably be back in the future. Thanks for any help, and have a (BLESSED CHRISTMAS). If I have done something wrong I am very sorry. Please let me know if I have thank you Teee (bigbadtomg@hotmail.com)

brybrychrismer

id have to say check your points. if you can get to them easy open them up and scuff them a bit. The same thing happened to my 120 i got last month.

WH Raider 10

I believe solid state ignition doesn't have any points; how old is the spark plug/how does it look?

:notworthy: Dan B.

rickv1957

Magneto unit more than likely getting weak,Rick

rocking 416

I have Cleaned the ground to the igniton coil an places the Condensor on the Negtive - side of the coil i try to make sure it dont have any rust or built up paint on wear the condensor is bolted or check wire running from points to condensor

rickv1957

Maybe that is your problem,no condenser is used with the solid state ignition!,Rick

gwgdog66

:notworthy: