Sign in to follow this  
Bow_Extreme

B-80 Hour Meter

Bow_Extreme

Could someone who has a B-80 tell me where the hour meter is wired to on their tractor? I know it's suppose to function only when the key is on. I like things original and I'm trying to finish this up.

By the way, I had a bad voltage meter on the tractor. This is why my tractor would not even turn over or do anything. I jumped the terminals and it took right off. I replaced the meter with one I had sitting on the shelf that was good.

kajamo240

My B-80 doesn't have an hour meter.... I don't think... Just the voltmeter...

rickv1957

The hour meter is wired in to same circuit as ignition at switch,Rick

Bow_Extreme

So I'm assuming you mean the "I" terminal which is the same as the black wire feeding the coil.

KC9KAS

My B-80 & B-100 both have ammeters, and I think they are original :notworthy:

rickv1957

Bow,that is correct,Rick

Bow_Extreme

Thank you Rick!! :notworthy:

Save Old Iron

By the way, I had a bad voltage meter on the tractor. This is why my tractor would not even turn over or do anything. I jumped the terminals and it took right off. I replaced the meter with one I had sitting on the shelf that was good.

Bow, this might be confusing to a few folks out there.

A bad VOLTMETER is very unlikely to cause a no start problem with your tractor. And jumping the terminals of the VOLTMETER would effectively ground out the 12 volt system in your tractor - sparks, burned wires or blown fuses.

A VOLTMETER is a device which reads a voltage source and consumes VERY LITTLE CURRENT from the 12 volt source. Only a few milliamps actually flows thru a VOLTMETER.

An open AMPMETER on the other hand would prevent your battery from charging and cause a no start condition. Jumping an open AMPMETER (with appropriate gauge wiring) would correct the open circuit and allow the tractor to start.

I mention this only so no one tries to jump the voltmeter in tractors equipped with voltmeters. This will certainly cause more problems than it solves.

:notworthy:

Bow_Extreme

I disconnected the volt meter and jumped the two wires together. This would not cause an issue with sparks blown wires, etc. unless you grounded the circuit. I know exactly what the consequences are in doing that. :thumbs::notworthy:

Now, the volt meter is essential to the starting circuit in the B-80 (unless it's bypassed). If something in the volt meter fails as in my circumstance which was a bit bizarre the ignition may not be supplied with the proper volts to power the ignition switch. I was getting less than 8 volts at the switch. I replaced the volt meter with a good volt meter and now I get the full 12-13 volts at the ignition switch.

I apologize for any confusion on this. I would not recommend working on wiring on anything unless you know a little bit about circuits and how they are affected by improper handling. I don't know as much as I would like to know about electronics but I've worked on circuits far more complex and detailed than this and honestly the circuit is not setup very well in this tractor but I was just following the wiring diagram.

Save Old Iron
I disconnected the volt meter and jumped the two wires together.

Bow_Extreme

To further the discussion for the purpose of closing this out, please take a look at the drawing of the circuit below:

1974B-80.jpg

I apologize I was talking about an ammeter. :notworthy:

Save Old Iron

I knew we would get on the same page. :notworthy: