Sign in to follow this  
zieg72

Rear tires about shot

zieg72

While getting my 520H all ready for winter duty I noticed some severe weather cracking on the inside rear on both sides. Obviously price is a concern but thinking about a pair of AGs on back thinking they would work in snow better than the stock ones on there now. I don't use chains because of a nice blacktop but do have wheel weights. I've seen several offerings on Ebay, any names I should stay away from? Will the AG's tear up the grass come mowing season? Looking for opinions from the experts. Thanks in advance...

rickv1957

Ive always prefered the ags and never had any problems with them mowing the yard will help keep from spinning on steep areas also,Rick

Bow_Extreme

Hey Zieg,

In all honesty Turf Tires with chains are my favorite for winter time use. It seems the chains make more contact with the surface you are trying to grip and the turf tire doesn't raise the chain off the surface of the tire therefore more gripping power.

You have blacktop though and if you have it seal coated the chains can take the seal coating off over time. Ag's are a good choice and they are nice tires. They will probably track your yard more so than turf tires but it all depends on the composition of the soil and how wet your yard is. If your running weights and you leave them on the tractor you will cut into your yard more than not running weights.

I think I would buy another set of wheels and mount up a set of AG's on them and use them for winter use only.

Here is what I would buy: Tru Power Lug Tires = Raw Full Traction Tires

http://www.carlisletire.com/products/big_b...ower/index.html

zieg72

Hey Zieg,

In all honesty Turf Tires with chains are my favorite for winter time use. It seems the chains make more contact with the surface you are trying to grip and the turf tire doesn't raise the chain off the surface of the tire therefore more gripping power.

You have blacktop though and if you have it seal coated the chains can take the seal coating off over time. Ag's are a good choice and they are nice tires. They will probably track your yard more so than turf tires but it all depends on the composition of the soil and how wet your yard is. If your running weights and you leave them on the tractor you will cut into your yard more than not running weights.

I think I would buy another set of wheels and mount up a set of AG's on them and use them for winter use only.

Here is what I would buy: Tru Power Lug Tires = Raw Full Traction Tires

http://www.carlisletire.com/products/big_b...ower/index.html

Interesting, for the 23x10.50x12 Carlisle calls out a 7 inch rim? The 520H has the 8.5 in and all the other tires I've seen advertised on EBay of that size call for the 8.5 inch rim.

Bow_Extreme

Those tires will work just fine on your rims. I've seen it done many, many times.

Bow_Extreme

They look like very nice tires but I can't say I know that brand. They are lawn tires and they don't see the abuse that full size tractor tires see. I wouldn't be afraid to buy them. Do you have a local dealer to supply these instead of buying them on Ebay? It may be a bit cheaper when your said and done. I know the Tru-Power tires are about that same price at my local dealer and that includes any shipping costs. I think he only charges me like 5 bucks a tire for stems and mounting.

zieg72

They look like very nice tires but I can't say I know that brand. They are lawn tires and they don't see the abuse that full size tractor tires see. I wouldn't be afraid to buy them. Do you have a local dealer to supply these instead of buying them on Ebay? It may be a bit cheaper when your said and done. I know the Tru-Power tires are about that same price at my local dealer and that includes any shipping costs. I think he only charges me like 5 bucks a tire for stems and mounting.

I can check with my local dealer that still handles Toro parts, he is usually really high on his prices but worth stopping in and seeing what he can do for me. I did buy my 269H new from him and buy all the parts I can't get online from him.

rickv1957

I purchased a set of 8.50 carlise recently at my local tire shop for 75.00 each installed,Rick

Bow_Extreme

Zieg, do not buy from the Toro dealer as they upcharge big time on tires. Check any local tire shop for them as they can generally get them much cheaper.

billyban1

I just had a set of rims sand blasted yesterday, getting ready for a new set of 23-10.50 X 12 Carlisie lugs for my 520H. I like the lug tire much more than the turfs & chains. My next door neighbor (after seeing me plow his drive with my Wheel Horse) ask me to find him a W/H & snow blade for his winter plowing. Seems his Kabota with chains is junk, compared to a Horse. I found him a C-160 with 23-8.50 X 12 lugs with a 42" snow blade and he's like a kid in a candy store. He's in his mid 70s and I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. I sold it to him for my total investment of $300, because he's a good friend. With my tractor, the only problem I've run into, is when I put the blower on the front of my 520H, the rear gets too light for good traction when the blower is raised. I just picked up a set of rear weights to help with that problem. It tickles my heart every time I see my neighbor riding around on his Wheel Horse. When I plowed his drive, it took me about 45 minutes. When he tried to do it with the Kabota, it took 3 hours. He a new happy Wheel Horse convert.

Be careful where you buy Carlisle tires. Big price difference at different stores. WalMart was the highest priced, but they had to be ordered. Tractor Supply I didn't check yet. Orchleinds (don't know the spelling) and my local small tire dealer had the best price. WalMart was $25 a piece higher than the other two places. Go figure!

Duff

Carlisle does sell direct via the internet. I just got a nice set of ags for the front of #2 312-8 at a really good price. Might want to check 'em out....

Duff :notworthy:

zieg72

Carlisle does sell direct via the internet. I just got a nice set of ags for the front of #2 312-8 at a really good price. Might want to check 'em out....

Do you have a link? I tried surfing around Bow's link and came up blank.

Duff

Do you have a link? I tried surfing around Bow's link and came up blank.

Oops! I fibbed! :thumbs:

This is where I got my tires and I thought they were Carlise direct. My bad, but the prices were very good!

http://www.carlisletirestore.com/

Sorry for the confusion! :WRS:

zieg72

billyban1

I checked out that site for buying Carlisle tires and actually my local tire store was a couple dollars cheaper and I don't have to pay shipping. The Carlisle Store was about the same as WalMart when you figure in the shipping cost. The Orshlend's (how ever it's spelled) price on the rack and in stock was $89.95 + sales tax for the 23-10.50 X 12 size.

Operator

Zieg how about new turfs and a set of those rubber chains from Mainedad here on the Square.

But then ags are neat tires and then you'll need 3-ribs on the front and then a stack on the side---

Randy

zieg72

Zieg how about new turfs and a set of those rubber chains from Mainedad here on the Square.

But then ags are neat tires and then you'll need 3-ribs on the front and then a stack on the side---

Randy

Just wished I would have swapped out those on that 520M you got before I put it for sale...

Bow_Extreme

Rubber Chains? I'd forgotten about those. I think I will try some of those in the near future.

Operator

Oh no Carl my plan is to put chains on those for winter duty and ags on for summer duty. After spreading cow "fertilizer" on the garden and trying to plow that under those turf aren't the best for garden duty I found out! Ags in summer but then I'll need 3-ribs and a smoke stack - see how this works?

Those rubber chains would be the trick for pavement duty, I have gravel parking by my shop and driveway so I use steel.

Randy

zieg72

Problem solved. I won a pair of new Carlisle Multi trac turf $76.52 to my door. It came with Polaris ATV rims that I may be able to make and weld in a 4.5 inch bolt pattern cut out of old rims??? or sell outright.

The Toolman

Heres what I'll probably put on my C 101 as soon as I pick it up this weekend

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/...hevronat101.htm

23x8.50x12 tru-powers, they seem to have a flatter (across the tread) profile than the regular ag tires.

:notworthy: