Sign in to follow this  
Miles

RL-426 Mower under an 856 Tractor

Miles

I have an 856 tractor. I also have a nice RL-426 mower as well. Will the mower fit the tractor and what type of PTO hook up will I need. The tractor still has an 8 HP Kohler on it. I know it will be a little under powered, but I'm ok with that for now. I don't know what else will be required to get it up and running. Can any one please give me some advice as to what might be required. As I write this, the mower deck is under the tractor, but my front tires seem to rub the deck when you turn the stering wheel. I did notice though, the front hitch assembly can be moved back about 4". There are holes drilled in the frame to allow for this. I'd like to convert the mower over to this because parts are becoming ever so hard to find for the gear driven mower.I don't know if perhaps I can use a mule drive in front of the tractor. I read on here that a bracket can be fabricated for the front of the tractor to attach a mule drive to the front. The 856 as you might well know used a foot pedal to ingage the drive belt. I'm sort of wondering if perhaps if this could be used to ingage the unit, or if this would even work.

TT

Unless you're in to fabricating & welding and some major redesigning, it won't work. You'll also need to install the newer style PTO clutch assembly - which isn't very hard - but finding the special engine pulley will probably be impossible.

The RM-425 deck was the only deck designed by WH to work on a short frame tractor with the small PTO (engine) pulley and the foot pedal-activated tensioner. Finding one of those decks - even just for the parts to convert your current deck - will be tough, and the pulley/belt arrangement design is a nightmare. You will also need the corresponding mid-hitch latch that was clearanced for the jackshaft pulley on the deck.

If it were me, I'd look for another tractor (long frame) to fit the deck, or even a complete other tractor/mower package. :notworthy:

Miles

Ok, thanks TT. It sounds like you saved me from a major night mare.I'll look into doing something else.