Sign in to follow this  
dscott2000

Picked up a JD

dscott2000

Well, I recieved an email about a JD snow thrower. I answered back saying that I would take it. Not knowing what on earth I was getting into. Of course the thing didnt run. Oh well, for free. Who on earth cares? Right?

Anyways, here it is. In all its 3hp 2 stroke glory!

IMGP0437.jpg

IMGP0438.jpg

After some fiddling with the carburetor, a beer, and quite a few curse words. It runs like new. Im not sure of the engine that's in it. But, it kinda looks like one off a Lawn Boy only horizontal shaft. I can dive more into it. But, as it sits right now, I dont know what kind of engine it is. Any clues guys?

Kelly

Maybe a tecumseh 2 cycle

T-Mo

It's a good possibility that Lawn Boy did make that blower - JD contracted Lawn Boy to make push mowers in the 70's and 80's. And JD did contract out to different companies to make their equipment, mainly stuff like push mowers, chain saws, walk behind blowers, etc. JD made all their lawn and garden tractors, so it's also possible that they made that blower, though I doubt it.

BTW, with the model number we can find the parts catalog, possible build date range, etc.

T-Mo

Found it - Model 320 made 1982 to 1984 by Jacobsen, 3 hp, model number TY0320A, Parts Catalog 1707.

bitten

The JD will go good with the Murray :notworthy::thumbs: :WRS:

rickv1957

Cant say that I ever seen one like that,iam sure it will beat a shovel,Rick

dscott2000

Found it - Model 320 made 1982 to 1984 by Jacobsen, 3 hp, model number TY0320A, Parts Catalog 1707.

Thanks! I never would have thought Jacobsen would be in the production line for JD. :notworthy:

dscott2000

The JD will go good with the Murray :notworthy::thumbs::WRS:

:) Counting, that Murray has been more of a problem in the 6 years that I have owned it than the darn thing is worth! Im sure that the JD will start in the cold! I couldnt say the same for that darn Murray!

dscott2000

Well, its looking more and more like I am gonna put it through the paces today. We are currently getting snow and are expecting up to 7 inches before nightfall!