Sign in to follow this  
easy Ed

What have I done And how do I fix it.

easy Ed

I was putting back together an 856 four speed trans. It was working fine until I fixed it.Everything was fine until i started to put the drum for the brake back on . I had to hit it several times to get it on enough to put the c ring back on . Now it seems to shift gears ok but the rear end is locked up . help This happens in every gear.

Don1977

I don't know, but you'll have to pull it back apart to see. You must have jammed something when you hit it.

sorekiwi

Are you sure you put the bolts that hpld the diff housing together the right way around? Off the top of my head, I dont remember which way they should be, but if they are the wrong way around they will lock the trans up...

bowtieguy

If a needle in a closed end needle bearing falls down in the cap ....it can test your patience until you find it...did that on a WH tranny once.... :notworthy:

d180man

Hi i think i would start all over and check it all so you dont brake some thing ! there not that bad to take a part !good luck with it ! :notworthy: :thumbs:

easy Ed

I never had the transmission apart just had the brake drum off and like a fool pounded it back on with a hammer and a piece of pipe. It acts just as if the brakes are on. I guess now i'll have to split the case and see what I jammed up. thanks guys I threw out the hammer.

Indy w h

Hey easy Ed

I think this an easy fix. All ya did is bottom the brake shaft out on the other side. If ya have a

slide hammer get a bolt that fits the threads anduse the sdide hammer to pull it back over. But

be easy as to not break toe casing

Indy

easy Ed

Thanks for the replies. Indy w h I used yours and now it will turn but still drags a bit I hope it will wear it self in . Ty Ed

Indy w h

Easy ed, glad i could help ya out :notworthy: let us know the outcome

Indy