Sign in to follow this  
Electro12WH

Hub Key

Electro12WH

I bought a hub for my C160. When it came, I found that the keyway was too small for my axle key. Well, I found that all my other tractor hubs have the small size ( .250) too. Even the other axle on the same tractor. So, the keyslot on the axle has been recut wider( 5/16"). Can I file the top half of the woodruff narrower to fit the hub or do I need to recut the keyway in the hub?

Don1977

I don't see why it wouldn't work. You may need to file both sides of the 5/16" key to keep it centered to fit the hub. Just remember it needs to fit tight.

Sarge

They make woodruff keys that are two different sizes, the axle side is usually smaller. These are generally used when joining two dissimilar materials, such as cast and hardened steels...

Sarge

tarcoleo

Just speculating--but why would anyone have remilled the slot in the one axle and not the other?

The 5/16" slot may have been worn to an apparent 5/16" width as a result of a loose woodruff key.

or loose set screw. Do you have a true 5/16" key and does it fit properly in the axle slot?.

So anyway, if the slot in the axle is a truly remilled 5/16" slot, I would file the slot in the hub to a

5/16" width and fit a 5/16" key to the assembly so that all components are snug.

On the other hand, you could shim the slot in the axle with a 1/16" filler, again if you have a proper 5/16" slot.

If the slot in the axle is a buggered slot, you may need to get a new half axle.

It appears that many people have abused tractors in this area. My "new" C-81 arrived with no

key at all on its right side.

Tom in RI :notworthy:

Electro12WH

I suspect that the axle slot was chewed up and they recut the slot. The key in it is a snug fit. I need to use pliers to pull it out. Did WH make any 1 1/8" axles with the wider key?

chris11

I can machine the hub for you. i have the broach for it.

specialwheelhorse

Cris is right on , just broach the hub and she;s good as new.

kpinnc

For clarification- there were more than one size used on axle keys. I don't have any to measure in front of me, but there are three different ones that I know of.

If the slot in the axle is damaged at all, your best bet is to have a new one cut on the opposite side of the axle. Forget cutting a woodruff, just get a flat .250 key way cut at your local machine shop. It's just as strong, and won't destroy the axle if it ever slips like a woodruff can. Shouldn't cost more than $10 to have it done either.

Like this one I made for my tiller shaft:

muledrive176.jpg