Sign in to follow this  
Sethro

42" Blade On 416-H

Sethro

I just purchased a very nice 1993 or 1994 416-H with the 42" side discharge deck from my neighbor's auction today. It came with a 42" blade, but it does not appear at first glance that it will fit without modifications. The blade model/serial numbers are: 76-42BC01-3093 and below that is 6191. The first thing that indicates it won't fit is the "pin" to attach to the frame is 3/4" diameter, while the holes on the tractor frame are only 1/2". The blade was just purchased by my neighbor as he was going to try and mount it knowing it wasn't the exact match for his model.

I've been searching the forums, and it appears the blades are all basically the same looking framework, mounting points, etc...any experts know what I'm in for to try and adapt this blade to the tractor?

Confused99

That model number comes up as a '77 Blade. Take some pics of it when you get a chance.

Jason

Jim_M

Do you have the attachment hitch bolted to your rear axle? The 3/4" pin at the rear of the blade frame fits into the rear hitch.

I'm not sure what 1/2" holes you're talking about but the blade doesn't fit into any holes anywhere on the frame.

wallfish

:notworthy:

That blade should fit your tractor and it attaches to the rear axel with what is known as a quick attach bracket. The rod on the plow frame attaches to this bracket. Put your model# 76-42BC01 in at the Toro Master parts viewer to look up the drawings, it shows what the bracket looks like. You can post a wanted ad here in the classified section for one and you can also check on Ebay for them, they come up quite often.

You can go here http://www.mywheelhorse.com/ to find the manuals for the blade and the tractor

rickv1957

Any long frame blade should fit you tractor,Rick

Sethro

Thank you all so much for the quick and insightful replies. I'll post some pics tomorrow of the tractor and blade. I merely took a quick glance and figured that 3/4" mounting pin attached to a bracket hanging down right in front of the rear axle that happens to have 1/2" holes, but I'll check those sites posted above and see what bracket you guys are talking about.

The bad news is my wife doesn't appreciate the deal I got nearly as much as I do, and she insists I will not have two lawn tractors. :thumbs: At least I'm sleeping in the house tonight, but only after showing her craigslist/ebay ads for similar tractors for much more than I spent.

I also bought his "like new" Toro 3000E GTS snow blower...and wouldn't you know she says I can't have two snowblowers either. Women. :notworthy:

Confused99

Any long frame blade should fit you tractor,Rick

Yup, should work fine if you have the rear attach.

Jason

Sethro

Those links are very informative...thank you. Now I just need to find a quick hitch. I'll check with my local Toro dealer today and see if he has any old ones laying around.

whfan74

Place a wanted add down in the classifieds. If you do find one from your local dealer it will be somewhat pricey if it is NOS.

They come up on Ebay all of the time. Here is one that is available in great shape.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wheel-Horse-Rear-Imple...=item2557747147

Good luck!

Sethro

Well, I checked with the dealer. He didn't have any used ones, and didn't seem to be able to buy the hitch "kit"anymore. However, he could by all the parts separately and it looked like it would be about $90 for the whole works.

I'll place an ad, and watch that one on ebay to see how high it gets. One of my other neighbors has a really old Wheelhorse sitting in his barn. When he gets home I'll check on that and see if it has a hitch...and if he wants to sell the tractor as I'm sure I could find a buyer for him after finding this site.

Thanks again for everyone's help, this site is great.

Sethro

Here's a picture, it is just like the one from the parts list link above.

Attached Image

post-4-1259086025.jpg

can whlvr

there is no question that blade will fit,i have made 2 or 3 rear brackets just need a bit of steel and an angle grinder,just ask for dimensions and someone can post pics

HankB

I'll add something that I learned about the axle brackets. I know of at least two styles that will fit blades but they may not be interchangeable. Here are some pictures of what I have for an older blade:

DSC_1168-PP.JPG

DSC_1167-PP.JPG

The notch on this bracket fits on the outside of the plow frame. I ran into difficulty when I bought a tiller. The tiller (in the second picture) is intended to mount to a bracket that fits on the inside of the plow frame.

There is another less obvious difference. The bracket pictured here can mount the notch that holds the plow either forward or rearward of the axle. The newer style of bracket (more commonly seen on eBay) mounts with the notch centered under the axle.

I suspect that the bracket pictured above would work for your situation though it would move the entire plow forward about two inches. I think the other bracket is preferable because it will also work for other attachments like a tiller.

OK, the other pictures don't really illustrate my point that well. Here is the same bracket (after some cleaning, brushing, priming, painting... :notworthy: ) attached to the back end of a New Vac plow frame.

DSC_1246-PP.JPG

Hopefully you can see how the bracket would bolt to the forward face of the rear axle and how the plow frame fits on the outside. Perhaps some more knowledgeable members of the forum can provide better names than "old" and "newer."