Sign in to follow this  
876wheelhorse

k181 will not start

876wheelhorse

Ok I put the 856 in the garage last weekend ran it in there parked it, go out there today to start it and it only turns over. i was thinking not gettng spark so i take plug out ground it and there is spark. So i check the gas and it is half full. So I have gas and spark. So why don't i have run.... Wouldve the gas went bad it has been in there a couple 3 months. I don't know this thing has always fired right up. When i took the plug out it was wet so it is getting fuel.

so would the plug be bad?

bad gas?

operator error?

It is crazy that just not even a week ago it ran fine when i parked it. :notworthy:

bell

Well, just because there is gas in the tank.... doesn't mean it's getting fuel. I would try pulling the float bowl off of the carb and see if the float is stuck. I bet it is.

Report back and let us know what you find out... JB

bell

Also, did you possibly turn the gas off when you parked it? I have done that a time or 2.

Get a can of carb cleaner and spray some in the air filter and see if it fires. If it does, then start tracing your fuel. Pull the line off of the fuel pump (from the tank) and see if fuel is making it to the pump. If so, pull the line off of the carb and crank it. If fuel pumps out of the line, then you'll need to crack open the float bowl and see if the float is stuck.

rickv1957

could it be that the plug is fouled,they can fire when tested but not under com pression,Rick

876wheelhorse

ok if the gas was off or float is stuck. how would the plug be wet of gas? i am confused i will have to go and get some starting fluid and some fresh gas....... :notworthy:

crazy it isnt firing after having the 2 main things to do so

bell

If you have some carb cleaner, use that instead of starting fluid. It is less volatile than starting fluid. I've heard that it's not a good idea to use starting fluid in small engines.

Was the plug wet at all? If so, Rick is saying that the plug is probably bad and it's probably not a fuel deivery issue.

876wheelhorse

wow you guys are quick tonight...yes the plug is getting wet....i will have to wait til morning to get some carb cleaner. and a new plug. i will keep you guys posted thanks

linen beige

Is the plug wet with gas? or water? My 702 will collect condensation overnight.

876wheelhorse

Is the plug wet with gas? or water? My 702 will collect condensation overnight.

smells like gas

oldandred

New plugs do wonders

stevasaurus

I think Jon Bell is all over what it is/or could be...try tapping the carborator with a small ball pen hammer to see if the float may be stuck. That just happened to me on the raider 10 I still pulled the carb and cleaned it though. If it starts for a minute with cleaner, you can bet on the float bing stuck. Just takes a little bit of gum to hold the needle valve in there, flooding the engine. :notworthy:

876wheelhorse

The Verdict is fouled plug. I knew it couldnt be much. ran fine last weekend then nothing. would not fire nothing other than turn over. it had spark but like another member said that don't mean the plug is good. thanks for all the help :notworthy: