Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

Lawnboy GT18H

Kelly

I thought I'd share my Lawnboy with you guys, I've had a few questions about it. I'm pretty sure it was made by Gillson, I also think Lawnboy only made garden tractors 2 years, lawn tractors for many years. I think I read it was 88-89 This is a beast :D , it has a 18hp mag. kohler in it with a high low range hydro trans, with hyd. lift. The trans is all cast iron. It's about the size of a 520 or GT14.

I traded a junk mini van for it at the local junk yard :thumbs: I had $50 in the van, It came with the snow plow, 48" deck(like new) 75# each wheel weights, tire chains, brinly plow, brinly cultivator and the hitch to mount the brinly stuff.

Someone junked it :D I got it home charged the batt. checked it over put some gas in it and mowed my yard :thumbs: . ya gotta like ones like that.

I have now put a starter on it and a batt. and changed the rear tires(to what's on it now) starts every time, it has just turned 1000hrs I think they plowed snow with it most of it's life it's very rusty :P and the deck as I said is like new.

I've pulled the brinly plow with it, buried it till the plow was under ground and it never stopped, I plowed snow with it a little, it needs chains, weights and you have to get off to change angle. So I just use my C-121 to plow. I'll try to post a few more pics

100_8911.jpg

Rollerman

Kelly I was waiting for you to put some pics of it up.

Not what i was expecting...but sure looks big.

Sounds like you got a deal on a good "workin" tractor. :thumbs:

Kelly

What did you think it was going to be?

Sparky

So is the frame and front end anything like our WH's? It does look heavy duty.

Mike.........

TT

It definitely has the Gilson/Jacobsen/Ford LGT resemblance.

I'd guess it has the big Peerless cast iron transaxle too?

Does it drive off the flywheel with a shaft to a 90 degree gearbox?

Rollerman

Kelly I was pictureing the big Massey type riders...wasn't there a "snapper" in there too.

Maybe it's the lime green color throwing me off or the view from the back end?

It's cool though...does it have an implement hitch on the back...guess I'm not seeing it?

Kelly

To be truthfull Terry, I don't know how the drive line is set up you can't see much with all the tin they have on it. I can see what looks like a driveshaft end hooking to the flywheel. they have so may covers on it someone torched a hole in the frame to get the trans filter off.

Stephen, you have to take the implement hitch off to mount the snowplow, the rearend has bosses on both sides that 1/2" or so pins go through to mount the plow or the rear hitch, very close to a ford/ jacobson I had here at one time.

Mike no it's really nothing like a WH it is stamped steel and heavy flat stock for the frame, the front axle is cast iron, it has a very nice steering set up on it, kinda like a auto gear box mounted so the pitman arm sticks out the side, it is a very heavy duty set up, and steers very nice and easy.

I had thoughts of putting my FEL on this but the frame in the middle is the stamped part and is very rusty. not junk yet just not up to a FEL, anyway that needs to be on a WH.

Nick

Nice find Kelly. Makes me wonder again why even the top of the line Wheel Horse hydro tractors didnt have a low and high range.

Stephen, Snapper did have some big tractors. I also liked the power king they sold with snapper on it. Not sure about parts but be nice looking tractors to me. Wouldnt mind either one if it was cheap. :thumbs:

Snapper picture in MTF thread

Kelly

Nope no snapper. only two green ones Lawnboy and my JD lx188 with a water cooled kawasaki. I do have a nice old Gamble's hardware store tractor from the mid to late 60's with a horizontal shaft 7hp briggs on it got it from the orig. owner my buddys grandad, free I don't know what to do with it, to nice to part, but have no use for it. Probably won't get what the engine is worth out of it if I try to sell it. and my wife thinks its cute. Maybe she can use it to pull her flower stuff around.

T-Mo

That Lawn Boy sort of reminds me of a Ford YT16H that I had a couple of years ago. But, that LB looks to be more rugged. I'm surprised about the stamped steel frame though.

Kelly

Terry I had to look, I peeked under the tractor and it has a drive shaft from the engine to the trans. it is square like a pto shaft for farm equipment. I have some pic I'll post later.

TT

Here's some information I found (so far)......

53084, GT18H Garden Tractor, 1988 (SN 800000001-899999999)

53084, GT18H Garden Tractor, 1989 (SN 900000001-999999999)

53084, GT18H Garden Tractor, 1990 (SN J00000001-J99999999)

53084, GT18H Garden Tractor, 1991 (SN K00000001-K99999999)

Sohar's has it on "the list"! I always go to the SEPW site to look up parts.

TT

OK....... here's more:

These tractors were built by Gilson. (as you stated) They are basically a Ford LGT18H with the typical color/decal/minor trim changes.

Click on this link to get you to Messicks website, and look under "New Holland LGT 18H" for a parts breakdown and price list. :thumbs:

Kelly

Thanks for the link, I don't plan on fixing this up just keep it going. but a parts source is always good. If only for part no.s

grumpy1965

I have a 1988 GT18H I mow with. I'm looking for a plow and a 3-point hitch for it. Any help would

be great

perry

that thing is a beast of a tractor :omg: . i thought i had a better pic but cant find it.

here is one.

RSmeet012.jpg

Kelly

I have a near perfect deck, and may have most of the 3 point/ brinly style hitch. I'd sell both, yes that tractor is a beast, it can pull my brinly plow till it is buried under ground, and keep pulling.

Nick

The Lawn Boy does look like a beast and you dont see one on every corner. :omg:

Could be wrong but that transaxle looks a lot like what Steiner uses on the 4x4 articulated tractors. The only difference I see is the Lawn Boy has what looks like a direct drive Eaton while the Steiner has an engine mounted pump and individual motors front and rear. Or they might just look similar. :drool:

hitch007.jpg

Kelly

Looks about the same to me also Nick

perry

i miss my stiener :omg: .

it had the same looking hydro transaxle that was in my ford LGT145.