Sign in to follow this  
jaybird

270H and Lawn Ranger

jaybird

Anybody familiar with the 270H? Has 20hp Kohler. I found a 1999 version locally with 800 hours. Has the 38 inch deck, 42 inch single stage snowblower, snow cab and wheel weights. Blower and cab have only been used the last four years. Tractor looks nice, but is believed to have broken connecting rod or something. Some type of a hard stop will not allow it to spin over very much. Two owners, original paperwork. What would something like this be worth? Coincidentally I also found a Lawn Ranger, the round hood version. Has not been run in two years or so, but turns over. Looks fair. Supposedly repainted back in the nineties. Has mower deck, no other attachments. What would a fair price on something like this be? I hate to inadvertantly low ball somebody and nobody really knows what they want out of them. I would appreciate any input. :notworthy:

wh500special

We're not really supposed to do these "what's it worth?" threads since they clutter the board with chatter that can generally be found with a little homework, but I know there is very little discussion about the newer stuff on here. So here I go...

The 270 was, oddly, the top of the line model in the 260 series replacing the 19 horse 269H. They are slightly different in the front end - although I don't remember how - than lesser 260's so that they can accomodate the monster 52" hi-vac deck. They came standard with all the bells and whistles for the series including cruise, tilt, and an electric over hydraulic lift system.

Kind of unusual to find one where the motor tanked before the transaxle. And the 38" deck on such a powerhouse is a bit odd too.

The hydrostatic transmissions on these are probably the weakest link in the design, but for lawn tractor duty they will last a long, long, long time.

Since the motor threw a rod, I'd bet that the transmission is in OK shape. Verticle engines aren't terribly expensive and the replacement job would be pretty easy on something like this - especially if you stick with a Kohler so the wiring doesn't change. I think they have a 1" crankshaft, but not positive on that. Regardless, finding a used motor from any number of the el cheapo Depot specials that outlasted the tractor will probably not be too hard and then you'll be left with a nice lawn tractor.

The thrower is actually a good application for this tractor since it puts minimal load on the rear end. Especially compared to the 48" blade that was available.

If it looks nice and was in good operable condition the tractor and deck would likely fetch a fair amount in the springtime..say up to $1000 if you are patient and market it well. Not much this time of year though since nobody wants to sit on something over the winter. But the thrower and cab add something to the value.

If it was me, and it was nice, and it was close enough I'd probably spring $300 for the thing. But that's me. There is virtually NO collector market for the vertical shaft tractors and especially those that are Toro designs. So whatever you sink into this will be an investment in YOUR tractor since it's not likely you'll be able to flip it.

There have been lots of LR's change hands here on RS so you can probably find something to give you an idea of value if you poke around the classifieds a bit.

Good luck,

Steve

• Excellent 1