Sign in to follow this  
G-PAs Toy

replacement engine

G-PAs Toy

I have an old Workhorse 700 with a Tecumseh in it. Do they still make or sell a engine that could replace this? I think the original Tecumseh is getting tired and would like to replace it. I would love to rebiuld the original but I do not have the tools or knowledge to do it. A friend told me I could buy a replacement engine for about the same price as a rebuild. What do you guys think? I plan on using the tractor quit a bit this winter. Persimmon seeds all say heavy snow. Eight seeds and eight spoons. I normally don't have a problem with the tractor but I tried mowing with her the other day and used more oil than fuel. Grandpa had a old coffee can under the carb. The carb has leaked since I was a little kid riding it. I noticed the engine smelling hot and running a little rough. I shut it off to take a look and the coffee can was full of oil and gas.

Kelly

not sure if you can still get a new 7hp tucky, heck not sure about new teckys at all the don't make them any more, try ebay there is a place that sells lots of new engines they might have one.

wheel horse 1045

if it was my tractor i would put a 8 hp kohler on it and be done with it

Indy w h

Wheel horse1045 does have a good point there. Kohler is the way to go.

Indy

G-PAs Toy

Okay, when you guys say Kohler is the way to go, are you talking brand new engines or rebuilt ones. Will I need to find some type of specialty store or will any farm, lawn and garden store have these. Am I going to have trouble finding the right one? Or are these kind of a universal fit where they all pretty much bolt on and everything will line up right.

Indy w h

The 7 & 8 hp k-series kohlers are still out there. Personally, I would get rebuilt

everything bolts up the same should have no problems there. Just take off crank

pulley from the tucky and put back on kohler. You could even place add in the RS

wanted section for an engine if you prefer.

Indy

wheel horse 1045

kelly sells alot of stuff like that you might try sending him a pm or like indy said place an add on here in the wanted section and yes the older starter generator style kohler motor will bolt right up

tarcoleo

You might consider a Chinese-assembled Honda such as can be

obtained from Harbor Freight. Worth a look, alas, not American,

but great engines. Affordable too. Just bolt it in and away you go.

Tom in RI :notworthy:

WHC-125

Throw a diesel in it! You will have more than enough power to do anything :notworthy:

Kelly

I don't have any little kohlers for sale right now, but it will be a little work changing it over, you will need to rewire it, change or modifiy the belt guard, I also think a new gear drive starter engine would be better for a working tractor, you can find good used ones for about $200 sometimes less, not sure where you are located but I have a nice C-81 that is going up for sale soon with a deck and snowplow

qd-16

A lot of these old wheel horses that originally had Techys in them have been upgraded with kohlers!

wheel horse 1045

i did it with a workhorse 700 and thats what i used and it worked great

SALTYWRIGHT

HI..............I JUST PUT A DIESEL IN MY 417-8. IT WAS A LOT OF WORK BUT IT WAS WORTH IT. THE DIESEL WAS LESS THAN $500.00. I TOOK THE GAS TANK OUT AND TWO REGULAR GARDEN TRACTOR BATTERYS FIT IN THERE. (ONE ON EACH SIDE). RUSS :notworthy:

G-PAs Toy

I am in the Terre Haute, IN area. I would love to make the old girl a diesel, egines are way to expensive for me though. I have looked at those Harbor Freight engines. I wasn't sure of quality or how they would fit though. Sorry for the delay in posting guys. Out of the last 48 hours I think I have been at work for about 24 of it, unfortuntaely I aint as young as I used to be and now require sleep from time to time.

dkopp

I had talked with a local engine dealer just last week asking about any old Kohlers they might see come through there. He informed me that there is some kind of deal between the OEM's and the local dealers that when a short block is exchanged for an old engine, the old engine must be destroyed. Supposedly, the EPA is mandating this through the OEM's and putting tighter restrictions on the OEM's about keeping these older engines out there. Has anyone else heard this also?

This guy informed me that he had to take a sledge hammer to a perectly good Kohler K series block not too long ago. :thumbs: :notworthy:

big mike

Gramps,I have a fresh .020 over Kohler I had lsted in the for sale section a while back if your interested.

tarcoleo

Grampa-

Engines sold by Harbor Freight are Chinese-assembled Hondas. They

are well-made and reliable. In-store prices are less than Cal-catalog

prices. Engines now in stores are $250 and $300 for the 11 hp and

13 hp, respectively, with electric start. Just so you know. Good hunting,

whatever.

Tom in RI

G-PAs Toy

Sorry guys another day of all work and no play!!! I really havn't decided what I am going to do yet. Probably decide sometime this winter. I was really hoping I could find something I could just bolt in and go. With my work I don't always have a lot of spare time to figure how to make whatever I get to work. I am only somewhat mechanically inclined with limited tools. Not whining just the way it is. I use this old girl alot in the winter to clean my driveway so I don't want her out of commission to long. Oh and to clear something up, I am not a grandpa, hopelfully won't be for quit a few years yet. This tractor was my grndpas. I rode this thing all the time when I was a kid. I have always loved this tractor and kind of has some sentimental meaning to me now.

wallfish

An older Ariens snowblower would have a 7hp Teccy motor. They seem to be plentiful around here this time of year so it may be the same for you. You could get away with just changing or adding a pulley for the winter then change over the air cleaner and control brackets in the spring.

bell

Terre Haute, huh.... I'm only about 20 minutes from you. We need to get together sometime and talk horses. JB