Sign in to follow this  
W9JAB

Leaf sweeper

W9JAB

Now that the leaf season is upon us, although some may be under snow, I thought I would talk about the LEAF SWEEPER.

At my last house I had 14 big sloppy maple trees that dropped so mush leafs that when the city came to pick them up that would do my place, then go and empty the truck and come back to do the rest of the neighborhood.

I needed to get a sweeper, now you probably have seen ones like this,

DSCF0614.jpg

I went to my local farm & barn to see what was available, but all they had was 46" model. I have a 34" wide tractor to get through the gates and a 46" would not work. So I got on the " Brinly Hardy" web site to see what they might have.

I found a 36" model with removable dethatching tines, this was the one for me. I need to special order it in. Once it together and taken out on the maiden voyage I thought I had it made, I was going to have the leafs under control.

My joy was short lived, as the differential system, a floating pin and gear, would fail every time I got a large load of leafs. then I had to call the company and wait for the repair parts to show up before I could use it again. By the third time this happened I had enough.

sweper001.jpg

So the Brinly Hardy-Har-Har, "BULLDOG" was born.

sweper002.jpg

sweper003.jpg

sweper005.jpg

I just happened to have a small Honda motor form a old pump, I hooked it up to the sweeper and " viola" This baby dose the job, the lawn looks like it's been vacuumed when I'm done. If you interested in doing a project like this be warned, you can overspeed the brushes to the point where they fly off the mounting so a few tech. screws are in order.

sweper006.jpg

:notworthy:

WHC-125

Very nice setup! I have a plain jane 42 inch Brinly sweeper, it works pretty good. I go around the yard with my rear discharge deck and it mulches them all while the sweeper is hooked up to the back. What a great combination. I like the idea of putting the thatcher to the front as well. :notworthy:

HorseFixer

Good Idea! :notworthy: Dont get yer beard caught in it! :thumbs:

stevebo

Great deal !! Now call the company and sell them the rights to the patten !! :notworthy:

Gerry w

Neat idea, can you fab up a smaller one for dog poop?? :notworthy:

HorseFixer

Neat idea, can you fab up a smaller one for dog poop?? :thumbs:

Would that be considered a chit slinger? :notworthy: :WRS:

Sparky

Thats a nice bit of engineering right there!

Mike...........

bitten

:notworthy: Dog poop

catman81056

I almost had a Forrest Gump flashback when I first saw that pic on top, "He got a Parker just like me!!! He got a garden just like mine too!!!" Then I realized it was my Parker and garden :notworthy:

That is a great upgrade. I still expeirence a wheel lockup every once & awhile but after taking it apart and doing some cleaning it works alot better.

If I come across a small motor like that in the future, well, my sweeper might work a whole lot better. :thumbs:

wh1257

dads power

W9JAB

Thats a nice bit of engineering right there!

:notworthy: I

sscotsman

I needed to get a sweeper, now you probably have seen ones like this,

DSCF0614.jpg

I went to my local farm & barn to see what was available, but all they had was 46" model. I have a 34" wide tractor to get through the gates and a 46" would not work.

Yes I know im replying to an old thread! :WRS:

but I figured might as well reply to this one, no need to start a new thread..

It looks like those Parker sweepers (like the one in the photo) arent terribly heavy..lets say, hypothetically, that you had one that was a little too wide for your gate..how difficult would it be to just lift it up, turn it sideways, and slide it through the gate? :hide:

Not something you would want to do all the time obviously...but im considering looking for a sweeper just for autumn leaf chores..I would only need to get it through the gate into the backyard once or twice a year..

and really just for one big oak tree in the back yard, inside the "fenced in area"..

I could really do just one leaf cleanup a year back there, after the oak drops its leaves..in the front yard we have more trees, and would probably do several "sweeps" in the autumn..but I wouldnt need to get the sweeper through the gate for that..

Im just thinking that finding a "wide" used sweeper might be easier than a "narrow" one...thoughts?

thanks,

Scot

W9JAB

I had to order this in special from the manufacture. I found the 46" units all over,

but I wanted a 38" unit to be able to get through the gate, also this one had

the dethatching tines as a option as well.

VinsRJ

I remember running around my fathers lawn with an old Craftsman power lawn sweeper (self propelled and brush power), had 3.5hp Tech. Motor sat right on top in the middle kinda like the way you set yours up. It was a fun machine to run after :hide:

mr.pipes

It looks like those Parker sweepers (like the one in the photo) arent terribly heavy..lets say, hypothetically, that you had one that was a little too wide for your gate..how difficult would it be to just lift it up, turn it sideways, and slide it through the gate? :hide:

I don't think that would be to hard at all. Just lift off the basket and unhitch from the tractor. Put the tongue and one wheel in the gate opening then pull it in.

I use my Parker three or four times a year and it goes in the basement when not in use. Through a 34" door and down 7-8 steps so taking it through a gate doesn't sound to bad to me. What about widening the gate? You may end up with a :WRS: with a big deck someday.

sscotsman

It looks like those Parker sweepers (like the one in the photo) arent terribly heavy..lets say, hypothetically, that you had one that was a little too wide for your gate..how difficult would it be to just lift it up, turn it sideways, and slide it through the gate? :WRS:

I don't think that would be to hard at all. Just lift off the basket and unhitch from the tractor. Put the tongue and one wheel in the gate opening then pull it in.

I use my Parker three or four times a year and it goes in the basement when not in use. Through a 34" door and down 7-8 steps so taking it through a gate doesn't sound to bad to me. What about widening the gate? You may end up with a :) with a big deck someday.

thanks Pipes!

that was what I suspected..

just wanted to confirm with some first-hand experience..thanks! :hide:

Scot