Sign in to follow this  
TT

Playing with tractors,,,,

TT

Thinking I could rearrange the shop enough to fit the 210-5 inside to tear into it, I started out on a "planned" mission. Bad part was that the plan lasted about 5 minutes! :D

I decided to install the new gas line and shut-off valve on the Craftsman walk behind snowblower first, but the new hose was too big to push through the hole where the old line was -- so I pushed it outside. :thumbs:

Next move was to pull the 416H outside so I could move around easier. Got on the seat, fired it up, and :wtf: ..... weird noises from under the drive belt guard! :D I could see the belt slapping around under the guard, but it was still moving, so it had to be something to do with the idler pulley tensioner.

I grabbed the impact driver and the wrenches and took the footrest and belt guard off. Sure enough -- the end broke off the spring on the tensioner arm! :thumbs: I unbolted the idler pulley and removed the spring so I could bend a new hook on the end. (reminder -- order new spring :P ) Everything went back together relatively smooth, and outside the 416 went. (about one hour later)

The B-80 fired right up, spewed out a little blue smoke at first, and it was taken across the road to the nice neighbors garage -- where it can stay for as long as it wants. :P

The 1056 got moved outside so I could get to the 702. I had planned on doing a few things to it, so I borrowed a pair of front wheels & tires from the boy's 552, tightened the S/G belt, got rid of those goofy headlights, and straightened a few grille bars. I took it for a ride and drove through a couple of snow piles. (6.00X12's with chains REALLY dig :D ) It has some governor issues, but I'll get to that later. :D

Anyhow.......

I got side-tracked enough that I never did get the 210-5 inside, but I might have room for it now. :P I did get some stuff moved upstairs and managed to start the C-161 for the first time since last fall. :D

Oh well, there's always tomorrow. (I hope!) :D

kj4kicks

Sounds like that old story where you're tired at the end of the day, but didn't do what you set out to do.

Been there, done that !!

pond195520032003

Eldon, i was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it :thumbs: :thumbs:

sorekiwi

I could get some of that stuff out of your way if you'd like... :thumbs:

TT

It's getting to that point, Mike.

I might have to sell a few, just so I have room to move. (and there's two more on the way! :thumbs: )

Problem is, I don't think I'd be able to part with any of them. :thumbs:

T-Mo

I don't know guys, :thumbs: , but it sounds like a productive day for me. You got to messed with your tractors, no money was involved-yet, no injuries, no broken rods, apparently no shopping at Walmart with the misses. Sounds like a good day to me. :thumbs:

Sparky

I like your take on it Terry.....it was a good day. Any kinda tractor time beats shoppin or tacklin a honey-do-list :thumbs: .

Mike.........

Rideawaysenior

Mike,

Hows that 418 doing these days? I added another D series to my collection. I am still waiting on parts for the D250, but a couple of weeks back, I found a nice D200. I need a bigger trailer now to bring my machines to PA this year.

I have a friend of mine that also found a nice D160 with the single cyl Kohler. Engine is ripped apart now and we found the cam lobes rounded out. Easy fix and it will be a nice runner for sure.

Jack

Sparky

Hey Jack...the 418 is doin fine with a 42" snow-chucker on it but its also not seeing much action as we havent had much snow this year and the last plowable/blowable snow was like back in December. Oh well....I guess it;ll never wear out at this rate :thumbs: .

Mike........sorry to be off topic guys :thumbs:

BPjunk

Terry,

My days go pretty much the same way except I usally have to swap a few spark plugs and a battery. :D

Saturday the "Mission" was to get the engine running on my '500' SPECIAL and to do this I was going to belt start the H-60 with the B-60. Well after pulling on the B-60's recoil quite a few times I remembered I swapped the spark plug out to get another engine running ..... OK push THAT tractor out of the way and bring in the Old Faithfull 656. Using the 656 I was able to spin the H-60 fast enough to find out the points were not working ...... ARRGGHHHH this means on a Tecumseh the flywheel will have to come off. So the engine shroud and flywheel get pulled only to find the points are OK but the grounding wire to cut the engines ignition off had been rubbing the flywheel thus shorting out the points .... AND THIS IS GOOD BECAUSE ... now I don't have to go rootin' through my garage trying to find a new set of Tecumseh points that I know I have BUT don't know where they are. Later in the afternoon it was a trip to the tractor parts store getting a pile of spark plugs so I don't have to play the plug swapping game ... well at least for another month! A fresh plug goes in the B-60 .... now what do you think happens when the recoil is pulled??? Yup thats right the recoil string breaks, well at least I know of two places in my garage where peices of recoil string can be found. Pull the Kohler K-161's recoil mechcanisum and proceded to install the new string ..... BUT HEY the dang spring just jumped out! Now how can a spring that when in place is no bigger in diameter then a soda pop can will now streach across my back yard???? :P Another 1/2 hour lost trying to wrestle the spring back in place. :thumbs:

So ya' see Terry ..... buddy ya' ain't alone! :thumbs:

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Rollerman

Yep them sound like typical days in the shop...the more tractors you have the further astray you get on projects.

Like "JD" Terry says...beats shoping at Wal Mart or getting an extra credit assignment on the honey do list.

I just can't wait till things warm up & bit where I can work without the noisy salamander going & open up the doors for some fresh air & skeeters. :thumbs:

TT

The greatest reward I got today was seeing the 702 look like a garden tractor again :D (and climbing the snowpiles with it wasn't bad either! :thumbs: )

021808007.jpg

Now I just need to get a belt (and a guard :thumbs: ) for the HY-2 and try it out. :P

Rollerman

Now I just need to get a belt (and a guard ) for the HY-2 and try it out

Hmm...hint,hint..... :thumbs:

TT

:thumbs: I wondered if you'd catch that, Stephen. :D

I did notice that what I figure is the mounting boss for the rear bolt on the guard (on the end of the pump housing) is broken, but it looks like there's still threads in the hole. I think I might have to do a little :thumbs: to get that fixed up.

combatmp29r

So Terry, now that you have the mini tires off the 702 you gonna put them on the puller? :thumbs::thumbs: :D

TT

Well..... Nick was standing there when I took them off and I told him he could have them. All I wanted was to get them away from my tractors! :thumbs:

Maybe he'll find a rototiller that needs some wheels? :thumbs:

combatmp29r

:thumbs: Nope probably what ever horse you guys are building :thumbs:

TT

They would probably look good on the front of an old round-hooded Lawn Ranger, but they don't have bearings. (or grease fittings) :thumbs:

A set of 18-9.50X8 ag's on the rear (like on Wild Bill's MLR6) and those little "rototiller ag's" would make it look four wheel drive. :thumbs: :D