Sign in to follow this  
Doubletrouble

engine noise Q

Doubletrouble

I have a '71 with an 8hp tecumseh on it and I have a slight "ticking" noise coming from the engine. I can't quite nail down where it's coming from. I read in the manual for tecumseh that according to the trouble shooting guide it says that carbon build up in the cylinder can cause this? Is this true, I've never heard of that but I'm also new to the small engine world. Any suggestions on what it could be and how to check for other possiblities? Thanks in advance for the help.

captjake

Is that that tractor I sold you? I'm still missing some of my tools, when I put that engine back together. :notworthy:

But seriously, I would pull the head and poke around, you never know what it could be? If it carbon, then oil is getting past the worn rings. Fixin' the problem now might be cheaper then later when it's in six pieces.

If it carbon do a compression check, Particularly thick deposits also tends to increase engine compression simply because the carbon deposits take up more space inside the combustion chamber. Abnormally high compression may result in spark knock (detonation), particularly when pulling a load or accelerating. In more extreme conditions, if carbon deposits are thick enough, the top of the piston may actually come into contact with the carbon-coated cylinder head or valves. When this happens, the sound resembles a hammer noise or like a rod bearing has gone bad.

How often do you change the plug? and whats it look like?

I'm not an expert, but I hope this helps.

Doubletrouble

I've changed the plug once this summer, it seemed to look ok to me.