Sign in to follow this  
bmuone

Tach pulse setting

bmuone

I have read the previous post on tachometers and settings. I could not find the answer to the question I have. I have a 417A (31-17KE02). I have a old sears marine universal tachometer. It is old but never been used. Inside the tach there is a setting switch with numbers 1 through 5. Which setting should I use? :scratchead: Tks....Dayton

bitten

Dayton

Im not sure but I think the settings are for how many cylinders you have.

sorekiwi

I've never had any luck getting an electric tach to work on any small engine.

I use a "Vibratach" which is a mechanical device that measures the frequency of the vibration and gives you a reading. It works great!

There are some threads about them here too.

bmuone

Thank you fellers. I guess I will go scientific. I'll try all settings and see if any seem about right to fit the sound. I overhauled the carb is why I was trying this tach out. I have it running pretty clean but did not want to over rev it. I'll let you know. Have a good day.......Dayton

sorekiwi

Just something to keep in mind...

Some (all??) Tecumsehs fire the coil on every revolution, (I think Onans too :scratchead: ), Kohler K's fire every second revolution like normal.

Let us know how you get on, and if you need to do any math to get a good number!

bmuone

Well I plugged in to the number 2 setting and the idle was perfect at 1200. The high side ran up to 2000 before I chickened out and pulled back. So I think I still have a little fine tuning to do. But right now gotta clean up and get ready for a one year old dude. Poppy gotta be the only baby sitter this afternoon. :scratchead: Check ya later......Dayton