Sign in to follow this  
Banjo

Unidentified Switch on 1985 310-8

Banjo

Switch 14 in the diagram below is not identified or available on the parts list. I have this switch "dangling" on top of my transmission with both wires connected. Previous owner taped it up.

310-8ElectricalDiagram.jpg

It does not matter if the switch is depressed or in the up mode, the tractor still cranks and runs in either position. I thought it was a seat safety switch, but if it is it's not doing anything.

I know you guys can tell me what this is for. Thanks. :thumbs:

combatmp29r

Looks like the seat safety switch to me

TT

That's the safety switch for the seat. It mounts up through a hole in the rear fender pan.

It shuts the engine off when the PTO is engaged and the seat isn't held down.

Banjo

If I mount it correctly, then the engine will stall if I engage in the PTO when I'm not sitting on the seat?

combatmp29r

Yep. The down side to them I remember from my 312 is if you hit a decnt bump the engine will start to die and then pick back up as the seat bounces

Banjo

I will give a try and adjust it UP as far as I can without putting pressure on the switch body.

Thanks. :thumbs:

Banjo

I was actually looking for my tailight wire because I am going to install lights where my reflectors are. Upon removing the ball of tape, I found the switch instead!

I guess I will just run a wire from the headlight switch to my new tailights instead.

TT

The 1985 310's were not equipped with tail lights, so there is no wire.

You can tap on to the switch terminal where the head light wire attaches without any issues. (light green wire, I believe :thumbs: )

You should try to route it with the wires to the seat switch and be sure you protect it from any & all moving parts. Wire harness fires are NO FUN !

Sparky

Yer right about wire harness fires being no fun. I bought a C-125 auto at the 2006-WH Show and as I drove it away from the seller the harness burnt up :thumbs: ! I had only gone about 50 feet when it happened. Bought a new pigtail and ignition switch and she's been fine ever since.

Mike........