Sign in to follow this  
cwilson

First timer

cwilson

This is my first Wheel Horse. It's also my first tractor restoration although I plan to use this one for things my JD mower shouldn't do. It's a 72 [i think] Commando 800 that was given to me by my father-in-law. It's been sitting in an open field for quite a long time and the weather has taken its toll. I've taken it completely apart and I'm in the process of removing the rust and priming. I'm looking for a replacement hood as the area around the hinges is rusted beyond repair. The tie rods are also in need of replacement. The 36" mower deck is uselessly rusted through, but I'm not planning on using that anyway.

Wheel Horses are rather rare here in SC and finding parts locally is rather difficult. A full restoration my not be practical, but I plan to make it something I can use, rather than a showpiece. That's rather fitting, as this tractor is as old as I am, and I'm no showpiece either.

Attached Image

post-72-1256407315.jpg

dscott2000

:scratchead: As a first timer myself.. Welcome!! This forum is full of great people and info!

Sparky

:scratchead:

If your in need of something for your restoration just post a wanted ad in our classified section.

Good luck!

Mike..........

wheel horse 1045

welcome and just to let you know its your first but not your last because wheelhorse is the new crack :scratchead:

N.C. horserider

:scratchead: I just finished the same tractor 1972 Commando 800. If you need any help with it feel free to ask. You are so right with trying to find wheel horse parts as they are scarce down here. The same thing was wrong with my deck so I'm going to make another setup over the winter for next year. Here is a picture of mine completed.

003-6.jpg

bitten

Hello and :hide:

You will be useing this for things your jd CANT do :scratchead:

TJ

Suburban 550

:hide: And good luck with your new project. Hope you find all the needed parts. :scratchead:

buckrancher

looks like agood project :scratchead:

Indy w h

Indy

cwilson

Well I have it torn down to the last bolt and most of the sanding/sandblasting and priming is done. I put the transmission on the bench and emptied more water out of it than gear oil. Apparently the shifter boot rotted and acted as a funnel. Once I get the rusted hitchpin out I'll split the transmission open and check/replace the bearings and gears.

Duff

:hide: !

Glad to have you aboard!

...and a tranny rebuild isn't as daunting as it may appear - have fun!

Duff :scratchead:

Coadster32

:scratchead: Diving right in there...atta boy! Looks like it could be a winner. They all need a little TLC. Good luck with it.