the jeep driver 30 #1 Posted September 5 Hello. My 1985 Wheel Horse 417A with a 17 HP Kohler Engine will turn over, but will not start. It looks to be getting fuel, I can see gas in the carb... I did try starting fluid, no start. I changed the spark plugs, as the old ones were due anyway, and used an inline spark tester to verify spark. I don't know what to test next. Any help is appreciated! Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ri702bill 12,966 #2 Posted September 5 (edited) Fuel, air, spark, & compression. Ya need all four to rave it run. The spark - is it a strong blue-white color or pale yellow? Is the timing correct ? - right spark at the wrong time in the cycle equals a no run condition. Edited September 6 by ri702bill Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
953 nut 69,062 #3 Posted September 5 This manual should be helpful. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
the jeep driver 30 #4 Posted September 6 2 hours ago, ri702bill said: The spark - is it a strong blue-white color or plae yellow? Is the timing correct ? The spark is blue/white, I don't know about the timing. 1 hour ago, 953 nut said: This manual should be helpful. Thank you. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Ed Kennell 47,230 #5 Posted September 6 9 hours ago, the jeep driver said: The spark is blue/white 14 hours ago, the jeep driver said: I can see gas in the carb. That leaves air and compression. Has the tractor been sitting for a long time? Do you have compression? Possible stuck valves. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
peter lena 10,046 #6 Posted September 6 @the jeep driver how does the carb throttle plate , easily fit / sit in its closed position ? done a lot of that detailing , made for instant starts , now regular on my 3 horses . pete Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
the jeep driver 30 #7 Posted September 6 6 hours ago, Ed Kennell said: That leaves air and compression. Has the tractor been sitting for a long time? Do you have compression? Possible stuck valves. No, the tractor was last used 8/22 or 8/23 and it ran fine. The only difference between that mowing and prior was that I had to mow in the rain for about 20 minutes. I parked it in the garage, and didn't clean it off as normal... I usually blow all the debris off when finished. When I wanted to mow on 8/30 it wouldn't start and after messing with it for a while, I borrowed my neighbors mower. I do not have a manometer for compression testing... I did see on how to make on in the manual 953 posted, haven't had time to make it... I may see if anyone I know has one. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
oliver2-44 11,730 #8 Posted September 6 Most auto supplies loan out compression gauges. They require a deposit but refund it when you return the gauge. I'm not that familiar with the Kohler twins, so I checked and best I can tell the Kohler twins DO NOT have a compression release like the single cylinders. So you should be able to get a good compression reading. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Ed Kennell 47,230 #9 Posted September 6 (edited) 5 hours ago, the jeep driver said: No, the tractor was last used 8/22 or 8/23 and it ran fine. The only difference between that mowing and prior was that I had to mow in the rain for about 20 minutes. I parked it in the garage, and didn't clean it off as normal... I usually blow all the debris off when finished. When I wanted to mow on 8/30 it wouldn't start and after messing with it for a while, I borrowed my neighbors mower. I do not have a manometer for compression testing... I did see on how to make on in the manual 953 posted, haven't had time to make it... I may see if anyone I know has one. I know you said you have a good strong spark, but it surely smells of an electrical problem. Could the spark plug wires be old and wet enough that they are shorting before the spark gets to the plugs? Remove the air cleaner and try cranking it in the dark while you look for fire in the plug wires. Edited September 6 by Ed Kennell 2 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
the jeep driver 30 #10 Posted September 9 On 9/6/2026 at 7:11 PM, Ed Kennell said: Remove the air cleaner and try cranking it in the dark while you look for fire in the plug wires. I did this last night, I didn't see anything in the wires. I haven't had time to do any other tests. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
the jeep driver 30 #11 Posted Monday at 09:50 PM On 9/5/2026 at 6:42 PM, ri702bill said: The spark - is it a strong blue-white color or pale yellow? Finally had time today to work on the tractor; redid the basic tests to see if I missed anything; now the spark in my inline test is yellow/orange.... I am thinking failing coil now. Thoughts on sourcing parts? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T13RXLX?lv=shuf&channelId=500&plpRedirect=mhFallback. This is on the low end cost-wise, and I could have it here tomorrow but very few reviews on it. Everything else I'm seeing is a couple hundred dollars at least. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
pfrederi 21,134 #12 Posted Monday at 10:01 PM 9 minutes ago, the jeep driver said: Finally had time today to work on the tractor; redid the basic tests to see if I missed anything; now the spark in my inline test is yellow/orange.... I am thinking failing coil now. Thoughts on sourcing parts? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T13RXLX?lv=shuf&channelId=500&plpRedirect=mhFallback. This is on the low end cost-wise, and I could have it here tomorrow but very few reviews on it. Everything else I'm seeing is a couple hundred dollars at least. Not sure you coil is the problem...but a Harley Davidson 2 cylinder coil which can be had cheap has been used successfully. 1 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
the jeep driver 30 #13 Posted 21 hours ago On 9/28/2026 at 6:01 PM, pfrederi said: Not sure you coil is the problem... What are you thinking then? I have not gotten the coil yet.... Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
the jeep driver 30 #14 Posted 21 hours ago On 9/6/2026 at 8:24 AM, peter lena said: @the jeep driver how does the carb throttle plate , easily fit / sit in its closed position ? done a lot of that detailing , made for instant starts , now regular on my 3 horses . pete It looks fine to my untrained eyes. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
pfrederi 21,134 #15 Posted 20 hours ago Is the spark equally weak on both plugs. The KT coil is two separate coils in one package. odd both sides would partially fail equally. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
953 nut 69,062 #16 Posted 17 hours ago Have you disconnected the condenser to see if spark will improve? Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
the jeep driver 30 #17 Posted 1 hour ago 19 hours ago, pfrederi said: Is the spark equally weak on both plugs. The KT coil is two separate coils in one package. odd both sides would partially fail equally. Yes, both plugs have yellow spark. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
pfrederi 21,134 #18 Posted 40 minutes ago Seems like you have eliminated a lot of potential issues if disconnecting the condenser doesn't work I would try the coil you found Share this post Link to post Share on other sites