Sign in to follow this  
bell

Early Bolens...

bell

I stopped by a barn sale on my way to grandma's house for supper... The guy had a LOT of interesting stuff, but this Bolens really caught my eye.

bolens_001.jpg

bolens_003.jpg

bolens_004.jpg

What really caught my eye was the attachments that came with it... A plow, mower deck and a dozer blade...

bolens_002.jpg

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but the price was too good to pass up. I know where there is another one that is missing the engine, but the hood and grille are in REALLY good shape.

I'm 99% sure it's a "Versa-Matic", but I haven't had time for any research yet.

pond195520032003

Hi Jon, it is a versa matic and its between a 58 to 61? i had a 57 narrow frame one, never had the sheet metal though :scratchead: nice haul :hide:

bell

Greg, thanks for the info! I've always liked the early Bolens stuff, I just haven't been "around" them much. If I can find a grille for it, I have a sweet running K161 under the bench for it. The K161 that's on it now is seized.

pond195520032003

thats cool! put some transmission fluid in the spark plug hole and let it sit for a couple days. will usually free it up, might have to try to turn it with something but not alot of preasure!

tarcoleo

We had one of these turn up at our trash transfer station-

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?bolens.jpg

These old Bolens look like restoration and maintenance

life sentences. You gotta love 'em.

Tom in RI

Indy w h

Nice old bolens Jon , I am impressed with the attachments! U hardly

find that much stuff with a tractor. Cooooooollll

Indy :scratchead:

Coadster32

FYI- I just sold one of these. It's called a ride-a-matic. They have a "vers-a-drive" setup on them, automatic transmission on the tree. Your's is a 1959-1961. The 1958 and earlier had the Kohler k160 motor on it. Kohler came out with the k-161 in 1959. They have a phenalic disc that runs the reverse drive. It also free wheels in gear down hills. I like the dual brake bands on it. It was Bolens responce to the Wheel horse 35 ponds auto tranny. You can swap the front sprocket to the rear for a different speed ratio, as these are pretty slow. Nice find :scratchead:

bell

I'm going to sell it... I just don't have time to mess with it right now.

If anyone's interested in it, I'll let it go for $200 with all the attachments and a spare Kohler K161 that is not seized and has compression...

I'll be going to the Portland swap meet on Friday and could bring it with me. JB

pond195520032003

thats what i meant ride a matic :scratchead: the versa matic is the walk behind