Bar Nuthin 3,142 #1 Posted August 12 Looking over a Sundstrand rearend I picked up (for the hydraulic lift parts) and everything looks good on it except for this needle bearing that had a glob of epoxy over it. Am I going to need a press in order to change this out? Can it be removed and installed without a press (since I don't have one)? Is this damage an indication for more damage I should look for if I decide to take it apart? Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
squonk 48,051 #2 Posted August 12 You can tap them in and out with a socket. Pay attention to how dep it sets into the case. 4 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Bar Nuthin 3,142 #3 Posted August 12 (edited) 9 hours ago, squonk said: You can tap them in and out with a socket. Pay attention to how dep it sets into the case. Probably no cheating and not splitting the case, I'm guessing. I really just want to see if this thing is functional before I get too far into it, Maybe I should have left the epoxy in place Edited August 12 by Bar Nuthin Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
squonk 48,051 #4 Posted August 12 43 minutes ago, Bar Nuthin said: Probably no cheating and not splitting the case, I'm guessing. I really just want to see if this thing is functional before I get too far into it, Maybe I should have left the epoxy in place It would be easy to get debris inside the case if you try to get it out with out opening it up 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Bar Nuthin 3,142 #5 Posted August 12 3 hours ago, squonk said: It would be easy to get debris inside the case if you try to get it out with out opening it up Yeah, I went ahead and power washed it in anticipation of taking it apart. Drained the oil and it looks clean. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
gwest_ca-(File Mod) 12,483 #6 Posted August 13 Can you weld a 3/8" nut to it and pull with a slide hammer? You would need to ground good on the case to prevent the current travelling through the bearings which would damage them. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Bar Nuthin 3,142 #7 Posted August 13 52 minutes ago, gwest_ca said: Can you weld a 3/8" nut to it and pull with a slide hammer? Even if I got it out, fitting a new bearing over the gear shaft would likely be problematic. It's already on a stand, degreased, and fluid drained. Might as will go ahead and take it apart and clean the filter and check the other bearings. Once I'm done, I'll swap it out with either my C-120 or 16 Auto - as both of them drip from the transaxle gasket. I've had both of them apart for repairs but did both of them on the tractor and didn't get the surfaces clean enough when reassembling. I have all the time in the world to do this one proper. Besides, you never know what you'll find when you take them apart! 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Bar Nuthin 3,142 #8 Posted August 14 (edited) Glad I decided to open it up and have a look. The needle bearing on the opposite side was fubar as well. Filter screen is still intact but had good bit of debris trapped, along with some shavings on the magnet. Paid $50 for it with the hydraulic lift parts still attached, plus a rockshaft. The cylinder was the serviceable type, and I rebuilt it for my C-160 and put the control valve on my C-120. Cataloged the spring, cone, and rockshaft. Up in the air on whether or not to put any money into saving the tranny. The axles look perfect and it has a good motion cam worth saving. Edited August 14 by Bar Nuthin 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites