lynnmor 9,040 #1 Posted July 23 I see there is a pretty 420SLE in the classifieds for $6500. I just came from the dentist and he wants $7000 to implant a molar. Has this world gone crazy, or is it just me? 2 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ri702bill 13,064 #2 Posted July 23 Which one will make you smile more?? Is the 7K your out of pocket cost or will coverage help out? I doubt that Jason takes supplemental coverage!! I wouldn't! 3 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ebinmaine 80,695 #3 Posted July 23 1 hour ago, lynnmor said: Has this world gone crazy, Definitely 1 hour ago, lynnmor said: or is it just me? Nope 3 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
lynnmor 9,040 #4 Posted July 23 1 hour ago, ri702bill said: Which one will make you smile more?? Is the 7K your out of pocket cost or will coverage help out? I doubt that Jason takes supplemental coverage!! I wouldn't! Out of pocket. If I had taken the $38 per month plan, it would pay a maximum dental of $1000 per year for a net gain of $544. My dentist sells me a Smile Savers plan that gives me a discount of 10% with no insurance, so the dental plan from my insurance is worth less than nothing. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ri702bill 13,064 #5 Posted July 23 13 minutes ago, lynnmor said: Out of pocket. If I had taken the $38 per month plan, it would pay a maximum dental of $1000 per year for a net gain of $544. My dentist sells me a Smile Savers plan that gives me a discount of 10% with no insurance, so the dental plan from my insurance is worth less than nothing. My last plan offered a kick-in for hearing aids - none at the famous name vendors. The monetary amount they applied was a joke at the second string places! Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
pfrederi 21,150 #6 Posted July 24 2 hours ago, lynnmor said: I see there is a pretty 420SLE in the classifieds for $6500. I just came from the dentist and he wants $7000 to implant a molar. Has this world gone crazy, or is it just me? I think your dentist is over priced.I have had several implants. Years ago 2500 for the whole deal...just started another one today implant $2200 the abutment and crown will be about 1300. (I needed a bone graft that added 500) if you need an extraction add another 250. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Pullstart 71,241 #7 Posted July 24 Would I pay $6,500 for a 420LSE? No. But remember, it was $8,000 sticker price at the dealer back in the day. How much would that be today… $12,000? It’s not unreasonable, when you think of it that way. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Handy Don 17,474 #8 Posted July 24 16 hours ago, lynnmor said: Has this world gone crazy, or is it just me? A bit of both? I noticed, too, that Jake Kuhn closed his $9,500 classified for his lever steer. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ri702bill 13,064 #9 Posted July 24 15 hours ago, pfrederi said: I think your dentist is over priced... Check his office desk next time for Travel Brochures & new Mercedes Benz brochures. Those are dead giveaways!! Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
whtractors24 3,571 #10 Posted July 24 On 7/23/2026 at 5:49 PM, ri702bill said: Which one will make you smile more?? Is the 7K your out of pocket cost or will coverage help out? I doubt that Jason takes supplemental coverage!! I wouldn't! Lol it’s currently sold, and under deposit . Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Retired Wrencher 6,989 #11 Posted July 27 Iynnor: you are not alone on this. In my book the market is nuts today. It’s always a few people who start it and other fallow suite. I was looking at a OK 74 B80 orig 4 speed nothing special, not the original engine. I sent a an offer of $500. No reply. Back in the day those were $300 all day in good shape. Excuse the expression, but now I call them working class prices. I guess I will keep what I have and enjoy them. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
CasaytheMann 265 #12 Posted July 27 $7,000!!!! No way. Find another dentist, and then report the thief to the authorities. I'd have it pulled for $150 and spend the $6,850 on something else. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Blaine 276 #13 Posted July 28 I’ve kinda grown attached to my teeth and try to keep them, but 7g does sound awful steep. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
ebinmaine 80,695 #14 Posted July 28 On 7/23/2026 at 5:20 PM, lynnmor said: $7000 to implant a molar 3 hours ago, Blaine said: I’ve kinda grown attached to my teeth and try to keep them, but 7g does sound awful steep. Me personally, I wouldn't do it. I have a serious cross bite that can't be seen from the outside but my whole right hand set of molars is severely misaligned. I'd hardly miss a tooth from there after the healing process. On the left I'd be MUCH less happy about losing a molar but that amount of money 💰 is too much. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
mrc 1,119 #15 Posted July 28 according to google $8000. in 1986 is equal to just over $24,000. today. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Blaine 276 #16 Posted July 29 2 hours ago, ebinmaine said: Me personally, I wouldn't do it. I’m in a different boat. I lost 2 molars before I was 18, and another molar when i had to get all 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed 2 years later. 40 years later i lost another when my dentist hit the root during a restoration. I’ve heard too many stories of root canals going bad within 2 years, and the fact that there was no molar above it anyway, i just had it removed. That was 3 years ago. So now i have 4 molars left, one in each corner, 2 are crowns. I’m always the last one done eating. If i were to lose another, i would consider an implant, or a serious change in my diet. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
lynnmor 9,040 #17 Posted July 29 11 hours ago, Blaine said: I’m in a different boat. I lost 2 molars before I was 18, and another molar when i had to get all 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed 2 years later. 40 years later i lost another when my dentist hit the root during a restoration. I’ve heard too many stories of root canals going bad within 2 years, and the fact that there was no molar above it anyway, i just had it removed. That was 3 years ago. So now i have 4 molars left, one in each corner, 2 are crowns. I’m always the last one done eating. If i were to lose another, i would consider an implant, or a serious change in my diet. I am in the same position, only a functioning set of molars in each corner and one of them is an implant. I know the price is high but I had my fill of lesser dentists, and this facility has four good ones and the service is excellent with immediate response for serious issues. I'll soon be 80 and haven't spent a dime of my retirement savings, so it might be time to loosen the purse strings. 1 Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Blaine 276 #18 Posted July 29 4 hours ago, lynnmor said: I had my fill of lesser dentists… Don’t get me wrong, he’s a very good dentist. That tooth was one i thought i surely would lose also, but he saved it over 35 years ago with 4 brass pins and a massive chunk of silver, but Unfortunately large silver hides a lot from Xrays, so it wasn’t until i was experiencing pain and several trips did he decide to excavate straight in from the top and found decay underneath, but it was already too close to root to save without a root canal. If it wasn’t for him, I would have followed the “Family Tradition” and had a full set of dentures in my 20’s. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites