Sign in to follow this  
DanPatch

Great Find

DanPatch

Here is a photo of my 1955 RJ-35. I am in the process of restoring her. This is my first attempt a posting a photoR1-7.jpg

wallfish

That's nice!!!! and a sickle bar too

fireman

What's going on here. RJ35s were scarce and all the sudden they're coming out of the wood work. That's three new finds in as many weeks :scratchead: .

Nice find by the way :hide:

bitten

Looks like a real good start :scratchead:

GlenPettit

Nice Dan, very very nice, and with a rare Sickle Bar. Everything looks original!

clintonnut

If I were you I would just repaint the wheels. The tractor is too nice to restore as it is all original other than the engine. Just my 2 cents.

Charlie

Indy w h

Another good find !!! How do u find these ??? Looks good

bell

I'd have to agree with Charlie... It is a BEAUTIFUL machine just the way it is! :scratchead:

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it, wether a full resto or a clean up... :hide:

TJ

Nice......really nice. :scratchead:

TT

You definitely have a good solid starting point for whatever you choose to do with it.

I'm not too sure about it being a 1955 though.

marvairplanes

TT, I agree.

Are those rims black?

Is it a '56?

Marv

Eriks Red horse herd

I'm pretty sure you have an early 56 Rj 35. notice it has a stop at the end of the motion lever sector in 55 they did'nt have that stop all so color of the wheels is dead give away. the hood dos'nt have the name emossed on it, some time in 56 they started embossing also the cast steering wheel was fazed out in 56. looks like the frame could be the stamped frame instead of the structural steel like in 55 and 57 . Other than that you have a vary clean 56 Rj35 NICE FIND. :scratchead:

Suburban 550

Real nice find ! :scratchead: Good luck on the restoration.

DanPatch

:scratchead: I found this tractor on craigslist. All it said was antique Wheel horse. When I contacted him he did not know what it was and said it was his dad's and it was from the early '60s. It wasn't to far away so I went there to look at it.I plan on doing a complete restore and have already tore it down. I called it a '55 based on what I read in "Straight from the horse's mouth" The front rims were orginally silver. The black came off the silver pertty easy there was even a little black on the tire. Once the tire was removed from the rim the inside of it was like new silver paint. The frame looks like a piece of C channel. The stop appeared to be added.It is a small piece of angle iron. There was some welding done to get the H60 to fit. I enjoy restoring tractors and don't much care if it is a 55 or 56. I just want it right when it's done. So now I don't know. Should the front rims be painted Black or Silver. I already have a Clinton motor for it that I also found on Craiglist. Thanks for your input

TT

My RJ-35 is identical to the one pictured above and I was told that is an early 1956. (the "truck framerail" frame instead of channel iron, individual front axle stop blocks, the stop on the motion lever, small cast iron steering wheel, hood-mounted gas tank, and the front wheels are silver inside and black outside.)

Mine had a prehistoric Wisconsin engine and a three speed car transmission on it when I bought it so it's hacked up more than you can imagine. I wish I had something as nice as yours to work with! :scratchead:

marvairplanes

Here's what my '56 RJ looks like:

GreenHousePhotosDec2007061.jpg

Marv (NW Oh)

stevebo

Marv,

That is a very nice looking machine. I am looking for some parts for my 55 if you have any, send me a pm. Thanks-

HorseFixer

Nice looking RJ-35! There have been some good points made on both sides. I think it would be safe to say that it is a late 55 early 56. If you say that the front rims were silver on the tire side and the the front of the hood is smooth then I would lean twords a 55. But you have to undestand the fabrication and assembly was done by flying by the seat of their pants, and as mike mentioned there could be no two the same. :scratchead: If you found the rims silver, then paint them silver. :hide:

Heres my Late 56 when I brought her home.

PONDRJ001.jpg

PONDRJ003.jpg

DanPatch

Just for decussion purpose I also want to bring up another differance that I noticed. In the rear hubs there is a pawl the ones in my tractor has a compression spring in a hole at one end of the pawl it rides against bumps that are on the casting on the left side. The bumps are on a round plate on the right side.These bumps flip the pawl to catch the hub in forward and reverse. I have noticed other RJ35 with a differant setup instead of the bumps it has an outer spring witch goes around the pawl hub. Does anyone know when this change took place. Thanks again

stevebo

On my 55 I have the bumps on the hubs.

neil

curious to know if this tractor has been restored yet , I would love to see some pics of it finished.