Sign in to follow this  
Greg B.

Open Request to Mith

Greg B.

I was crawling through MTF, a while ago, and found your famous dually with a serious looking winch hung on the front. How about some details? Is that a trans axle? :thumbs:

Greg B.

Mith

Greg,

you got it, its a transmission out of a lawn tractor. I welded the diff solid and it is belt driven off the PTO.

You can use the transaxle's brake to hold the load, and change gear, or reverse for spooling out the load.

It will to the tractor around with the brakes locked on with no worries.

It is on its second gearbox, I screwed up welding the diff on the first and blew it out on the first pull. I understand you can lock the diff by adding extra gears (depending on what type you have), I would recommend that over welding.

I have more pics if you want.

26-10-06_0958.jpg

Greg B.

I apologise, Jim. I completely missed your response. :imstupid: Here's my sign! Of course, I would like to know more and see more pictures.

My primary hobby is live steam railroading. I grew up reading a British magazine called Model Engineer. That's where I learned to read "British English".

Greg B.

Rollerman

Mith I recall seeing your threads about the winch before on another site.

Pretty inqenious design I think.

As an added bonus you could mount up some tires & have front wheel assist. :thumbs:

Mith

Greg, I think this picture shows the basic belt routing and attachment, I just used 2 pulleys to twist the belt so it lined up with both pulleys. It just fits into a reciever on the bumper.

The pulleys are just old rims with the tyres cut off. If you looped a rops around one a couple of times it grips. I tended to pull from both at the same time using a loop of rope to the load, just spread the load out on the tractor.

23-10-06_1709.jpg

There is a guy 2 doors down from me that has a small scale railway in his garden, I recall he was making a steam loco for it, I wonder how he got on.

I occasionally leaf through model engineer, some neat builds in there.

Greg B.

Mith,

Thanks for the additional information. You have a gift; the ability to see something for more than what it is. You can see it for what it can be. This gift can, on occasion, be more valuable than a pocket full of cash.

Keep on strokin'. You're a joy to watch. :thumbs:

Greg B.

BPjunk

You have a gift; the ability to see something for more than what it is. You can see it for what it can be. This gift can, on occasion, be more valuable than a pocket full of cash.

Greg,

Always remember it is NOT JUNK ...... it's spare parts that have not been used yet! :thumbs::D:thumbs:

It probably good that I am not your neighbor because I see pleanty of spare parts in the pictures you posted of around your house! :P

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Greg B.

Bill,

The last time we relocated I packed 10,200 lb. of "spare parts" and material, in a 16' POD, much to their chagrin. Since then, I have aquired the two tractors listed below. I have on the drawing board a small switch engine that will utilise, among other things, a 1921 Motel T radiator shell and a K-341 with hydraulic drive.

To recognize and appreciate this gift, in others, one must be similarly blessed. There are a number of us on this board. That's what makes this a great place to be. Something about "birds of a feather......"

Greg B.

Mith

:thumbs: Greg, I'd rather have a pocket full of cash!

Greg B.

95% of the time, so would I! There are, however, those occasions when all the cash in the world won't help. :D You just have to get clever :thumbs::thumbs:

Greg B.