Sign in to follow this  
goatchay

18 Auto tranny fluid level?

goatchay

Hi everyone,

This is an offshoot of the thread entitled "D-180 with no spark" under "Engines". My dad and I have been trying to get our 18 Automatic (I thought it was a D180 at first) running after sitting still for over 10 years.

On the positive side, after a little work it is running beautifully now, engine wise. But I have a question regarding the tranny and thought this might me the more approriate place to post it.

After we got the engine going, I drained the fluid in the tranny and changed the filter. The transmission calls for 5 quarts, but member dogyette thankfully advised me that all of the fluid will not drain out and to only put in 4 quarts at first and check it from there.

Well, got 4 quarts in but I'm not sure how to actually check the level. The plug on the fill hole is just a pipe plug. I've seen pictures of other rear ends that had a dipstick type plug. But not this one.

After adding the 4 quarts, the fluid seems to be about 3/4" to 1" below the bottom of the threads on the fill hole. Does that seem about right. I don't want to over or under fill it, but I just don't know where to stop without a dipstick.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris