Sign in to follow this  
zero

Multi Pin Connectors

zero

My 416H was shutting off on occasion and I traced the problem to a bad multi pin Moldex

connector between the engine and the tower. Has any one had a similar problem and does anyone know of a source for this connector. I do not want to purchase a new harness, only the connector

is faulty. Thanks for the help

Zero

zero

Thanks for the imformation. I have been watching this site for a while

and this is my first submission. That was a quick response and I have

already ordered the part. I think I will have to remove the engine to

access the tower end of the harness, the lead is very short. Any

suggestions will be appreciated.

Zero

pbradley68

Try your local Radio Shack(see link below) or similar store if one is available. You can get a 9 pin connector for $2.59 each (male and female). If the link below doesn't work just search their site for "9 position polarized connector".

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp...0connector&sr=1

Paul

kj4kicks

The RS ones only go to #18 wire. The harness use much heavier wire than that. I have done several, and there was always enough slack in the harness w/o having to remove the engine.

Save Old Iron

Zero, this is a very common issue with this style connector.

An alternate choice to installing a new connector is just to clip the wire pairs - one pair at a time - solder and heatshrink each connection and remove the connector from the circuit entirely.

If you never worked with molex connections before, its a little tricky and you can easily cause more issues in the future.

If the crimps are not right on the terminals - you still have intermittent issues.

If you choose to solder the crimps, the solder blob may interfere with the locking tabs on the terminals and not allow you to insert the terminals fully into the housings - further issues.

If you do not have a molex crimping tool and use pliers to crimp the terminals - you may distort the terminals enough to keep them from properly fitting into the housings.

And finally, these connectors live in a very harsh environment, vibration , heat , moisture, battery acid fumes, etc and they will present you with another problem during the lifetime of your tractor.

Not to turn you away from your intended method to repair this issue, but there are several down sides to replacing this connector. This style of connector was certainly chosen for its low cost by the designers - not for its reliability.

search for the word "molex" on this site - there will be some links to instructions on how to replace a molex connector properly. I just did this same repair on my 520H and chose the solder and heatshrink method. I believe I have successfully eliminated this area as a future source of intermittent issues.

zero

Chuck

Thanks for the response. I am aware of the inherent weakness of the original Molex

connectors and the problems that they can promote. I have considered both the option of

making the direct connection as you advised and also looking for a suitable substitute. I made

the decision to go with the offering from Eldon as time is also factor. The original lasted 14 years.

I fool around a lot with military equipment, and will some time in the future encounter a suitable

Mil Spec connector assy. that will replace the Moldex. That will outlast the WH!

I have a lot of experience with the Moldex connectors and will be able to solder & install the pins

in a suitable & workmanlike manner. I appreciate your concern for the skill level necessary and

your advice is well directed for many.

The connector is obviously under rated for the application as mine shows signs of melting as a result of high resistance

Thanks for all the responses

ZERO

Save Old Iron

Zero,

just wanted to add

:scratchead:

and may all your Molex crimps be good ones :hide: