Sign in to follow this  
can whlvr

whats the different numbers

can whlvr

today i went to a local wheelhorse guy that dabbles in lots of wheelhorse stuff.He has 12 nice tractors and lots of other goodies,he has a BEAUTIFUL 1277 auto,with all four wheelhorse tires on it ,they all say wheelhorse on them,whats the difference with the middle number,say the first 7,i know the 12 is horses,last 7 is 1967,but im curios what the other stands for,and what would some of you pay for a nice running 1277,real staight,but no belt gaurd???

bitten

7 is for auto and 5 is for manual for that era of tractor.

Sarge

I've got 2 1277's now, love them to death . But, there are quite a few parts on that tractor that fit only that tractor, belt guard included . Restoring one is not easy due to some of these parts being nearly impossible to find (trust me on this).

Now, if it were closer, I'd have 3...

Sarge

Buzz

7 is for auto and 5 is for manual for that era of tractor.

Uh........... actually the 5 would stand for electric start like on my 854, 855, and 856. It would have a 0 if it was recoil start. Can get a little confusing.

MikesRJ

Quoted directly from "Straight From the Horses Mouth" .....

"

4 - The Sensational Sixties

With the onset of the new decade, Wheel Horse Products introduced a new line of "Suburban" tractor models.The models were identified, for the most part, by numbers that depicted the engine's horsepower, manual or electric start (Unidrive models), and the year of production. Later, the digit seven identified the automatic transmission, and the digit 6 identified the six speed transmission.

Example A - Model 400

4 = Four Horsepower

0 = Manual Start

0 = 1960

Example B - Model 551

5 = Five Horsepower

5 = Electric Start

1 = 1961

Example C - Model 1277

12 = Twelve Horsepower

7 = Wheel-O-Matic

7 = 1967

Example D - Model 867

8 = Eight Horsepower

6 = 6 Speed

7 = 1967

"

bitten

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken. :scratchead:

Learn something everyday. Now what sucks is I have Straight From The Horses Mouth.

TT

OK, but now you need to explain 701, 702, 633, 1045....... :scratchead:

can whlvr

thanks for the input guys,learned alot,not gonna buy the 1277 nice as it is,he has an other that is all there,redone allready,800,next year,im learning not to jump too quick,this guy always has machines,im gonna put my efforts into my c160auto,i love this thing now im getting the bugs out,bought a parts machine that is actually really clean and straight,might redo it to. :hide: :scratchead:

Duff

....bought a parts machine that is actually really clean and straight, might redo it too....

Oh, yeah, Don - you've got the addiction! :hide:

Duff :scratchead:

Buzz

OK, but now you need to explain 701, 702, 633, 1045....... :hide:

Well TT it was the 1960s and a lot of like really groovy things happened back then. Can you dig it? Far out man, like let's call this a 633............... really mess peoples minds up. :scratchead:

MikesRJ

Anyone old enough to remember the sixties, didn't experience the sixties!

phfffffffffffffffft ........ , 'ear Buzz (and that is so much the appropriate name in this case)! :scratchead:

can whlvr

Oh ya Duff im definatly an adict,5 horses and counting,and a fair number of implements too :scratchead: