Sign in to follow this  
truckin88

312-8 steering wheel help plase?

truckin88

So I have put about 8 hours on the 312 since getting her and fixing the little things, and I love this machine, it is definately a keeper

I do still have to adjust the governor another notch.

But while mowing and making a extremely tight (possibly to tight) of a turn, the steering wheel slipped on the shaft. It still works, but the wheels straight is now side ways. How do I fix it, and did I break anything?

Thanks guys.

-Will

C-Series14

The upper shaft gear probably jumped a tooth on the lower steering shaft fan gear, as I call it. Loosen the collar under the lower part of the hoodstand, lift up on the steering wheel, and drop back in when straight. Tighten the collar. May need to shim the lower steering shaft so it tightens up the gap between the gears. You place a 3/4" shim washer or washers between the end of the lower shaft and the steering block that is bolted to the frame that the upper shaft sits in. NOW, that is how you do it on a C-Series! Should be the same... :scratchead:

All done from memory, my brain hurts!!! :hide:

Kelly

I'm going to guess the wheel didn't slip. but the gears at the bottom of the shaft slipped, look at the mount that bolts to the frame at the fan gear, make sure one side is not cracked, I have a couple of tractors if I turn the wheel all the way one way, can't remember what way I can get the gears to skip past each other, worn gears or broken parts, and if being a 312 check to see if you can pull up on the steering wheel, if so pull the batt. and adjust the collar that is on the shaft that holds the shaft/wheel from moving upwards, that model has problems in that area of the dash breaking, so check it out close for broken metal.

truckin88

got the drop light out...on a hard right turn, the steering shaft gear will jump the fan gear when you really nail it. And it jumps back to the next gear on the shaft, it will not do this turning left. I checked all the bolts, it does not look like anything is broken, I do however see the play of the fan gear on the shaft that connects to the tierod plate, where the cotter pin is. I got it back straight by testing it out, no gears seem broken, and it is very well greased.

It works normal unless you really turn it tight, I mean to the extreme, anything I need to fix?

can whlvr

Thats great advice you guys mentioned,my 308 is cracked under the steering wheel and if i pop the clutch the steering wheel gear and shaft pull right out of the fan gear,it is one area i think they cheaped out on and could have used a thicker gauge of metal to support the wheel,especially with all the torque these machines produce you half to hold on tight sometimes,especially when she is coming back over :scratchead:

Duff

'88, the pillow block through which the shaft that supports the fan gear and tie rod plate passes has a replaceable bronze bearing. If the shaft has too much play through the block, it might be worth the effort to replace this. WH P/N is 6397. Jack's has them at $7.47, but others may have it cheaper (and Toro probably at twice the price!).

Duff :scratchead: